signs in Texas

signs in Texas

This is a discussion on signs in Texas within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was recently in West Texas. I saw neither a 30.06 sign nor a 51% sign. I did see a no-firearms sign on a business ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: signs in Texas

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

signs in Texas

I was recently in West Texas. I saw neither a 30.06 sign nor a 51% sign. I did see a no-firearms sign on a business in Fort Davis which failed to conform to the 30.06 specifications.

At a Logan's Restaurant with bar attached, I did see a sign including text something like "unlicensed possession on these premises of firearm is punishable by fine and imprisonment..." Apparently this means one must have a recognized CC permit to carry concealed, but that applies everywhere, of course, not just at this restaurant. I fail to see the point of this sign. If a Texan could enlighten me, thanks in advance.

VIP Member

re: Anubis where alcohol is served or sold

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    I was recently in West Texas. I saw neither a 30.06 sign nor a 51% sign. I did see a no-firearms sign on a business in Fort Davis which failed to conform to the 30.06 specifications.

At a Logan's Restaurant with bar attached, I did see a sign including text something like "unlicensed possession on these premises of firearm is punishable by fine and imprisonment..." Apparently this means one must have a recognized CC permit to carry concealed, but that applies everywhere, of course, not just at this restaurant. I fail to see the point of this sign. If a Texan could enlighten me, thanks in advance.
    Unlicensed possession is not be a felony, here.

71.01 (c) An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree if the offense is committed on any premises licensed or issued a permit by this state for the sale of alcoholic beverages.

In other words, unlicensed possession isn't a felony (it should be) unless it happens where alcohol is served or sold. That is why they post these signs outside restaurants where alcohol is served but where 51 Signs aren't necessary.

Hope that helps.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Plus it helps satisfy the "anti's" while those with a CHL know they mean nothing.

Yep, where alcohol is served changes the level of offense.

(b) Except as provided by Subsection (c), an offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

(c) An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree if the offense is committed on any premises licensed or issued a permit by this state for the sale of alcoholic beverages.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

The long and short of it is that if is isn't a 30.06 or a 51% sign then it just doesn't matter.

I have carried in Texas for years--and I have yet to see a 51% sign. Now, I don't frequent bars or clubs, but I am not a recluse either. The places I find 30.06 signs are hospitals and nursing homes.

On the other hand in my younger days I frequented some honky tonks, dives, and roadside refreshment stands where they had a guard at the door. If you did not have a gun, he issued you one. This usually applied to knives also. Always want equal opportunity for the patrons.

^^^^^
    here is what i usually hand them whenever i see the 30.06 sign only! (although not too many signs here in north texas) +1 on bear67 about hospitals and nursing homes. the only mall that has the 30.06 (and i try not to shop there often, wife has to drag me) is grapevine mills mall. I hate that mall.
    Attached Images
    got to texas as fast as i could...Fuhgeddaboudit!

I went to the Grapevine mills mall about 3 weeks ago and the door I went in, through a Tues morning store I think, did not have any sign. I would think if they wanted to stop carry they would have to notify at ALL entry points. Good thing I wasn't carrying I guess.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by faif2d View Post
    ...a Tues morning store I think, did not have any sign.
    Most likely an oversight on the part of management. Tuesday Morning stores are some of the very few places posted no-carry around the Denver area. The TM chain supposedly has a corporate "no-firearms" policy.

Distinguished Member
    Non Texan here, what exactly is a 30.06 sign and a 51% sign??

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    30.06 sign is the only sign that a business can get to ban CCing. It has to meet certain requirements in regards to where it's posted, and what the sign looks like.

The 51% sign is required to be posted at the entrance of ANY business that gets 51% of it's revenue from alcohol that's consumed ON PREMISES. It takes the guess work out of deciding if the business gets 51% of revenues from alcohol.

Since liquor stores aren't selling alcohol to be consumed on the premise, you can CC in one. Same with gas stations.

It makes things very easy since you have only 2 signs to look out for. It also puts the responsibility on the businesses, not the CCers. It defines what the signs look like and where they are, so we can't be liable for a tiny sign, in hard to read font, in a place hard to see. I'm assuming that since you have to apply for a 30.06, it's a deterrent for lazy business owners.

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    here's what it looks llike cammo girl. don't have a pic of 51%. have not seen one yet.
    Attached Images
    got to texas as fast as i could...Fuhgeddaboudit!

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    YouTube - Signs Signs, Everywhere a Sign

Signs, signs everywhere.

"I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

What about the 30.06 signs that are just plain white letters on glass. I was told that the sign has to be contrasting colors. I've seen these at a lot of hospitals. The letters are big, but to me it isn't contrasting colors.

DropTop,

You will have to be the judge of that.

I personally don't test those signs. The contrasting colors wording does't give specifics as to what contrasting means. If they are white letters on tinted glass, or the glass door that you walk through, and are clearly legible, then in my opinion it contrasts enough to meet the definition of the code section.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links