What Would You Do?

What Would You Do?

This is a discussion on What Would You Do? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If someone is trying to kick your door in or trying to come through your window while you are home, do you wait until they ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Question What Would You Do?

If someone is trying to kick your door in or trying to come through your window while you are home, do you wait until they are in the house too shoot are shoot them before they get in?
    SC-CWP
    AZ-CWP
    I rather be safe then sorry.
    It's better to have it when you need it then need it and dont have it.

Living here, try as hard as I can to shoot them dead before they make entry. That's just the way the law is written.
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

Here in NJ your supposed to put out the welcome mat while you exit the front door of your house as the BG comes in through the back...No Castle Doctrine here and you must retreat if possible.

No further comment...................

You come pounding on my window/door it had better be with your badge in hand, and you better be yelling Police!

I'm not going to wait to find out who it is, I'll assume they are there to harm my family and I'll protect them to my death.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Unless they are firing through the door, your Ability-Opportunity-Jeopardy is not satisfied with him outside and you inside. Once he starts coming through the door, well, it's on. You should be on 911 and yelling to the guy that you WILL shoot him if he comes through the door.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Get behind cover, set up my shot, and wait for them to come in, then let the lead fly. I would be too afraid of missing to shoot through the door and I want the fight to be on my terms.
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

VIP Member
    Like any scenario, lots of variables. But generally speaking, I'm probably not waiting till they get in a window. The door would be different, I'd probably wait. But who knows what I'd really do?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I'm waiting for the Broadview Security home system monitoring service to call my phone and ask "Mr Shadow... Is everything alright?.... I'm contacting the authority's!!!!"

I'm not saying one way or another but I think I know what most here would have to do.

Right after they do enough damage to the door or window to prove intent to enter.

AZ is good about that!
    William Wallace
    Do not stand between Me and Mine!!

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by foots402 View Post
    If someone is trying to kick your door in or trying to come through your window while you are home, do you wait until they are in the house too shoot are shoot them before they get in?
    Is this really a serious question?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK87 View Post
    Unless they are firing through the door, your Ability-Opportunity-Jeopardy is not satisfied with him outside and you inside. Once he starts coming through the door, well, it's on. You should be on 911 and yelling to the guy that you WILL shoot him if he comes through the door.
    Agreed -- you never know if it's some poor crazy person who has the wrong house, although that's rare and an often used anti-gun excuse, my apologies. Still in the back of my mind though and would look TERRIBLE if it turned out to be true. I'm waiting with gun and phone in hand and not shooting until absolutely necessary. Someone prowling around and banging on the door doesn't count as an emergency. Although, kicking it and kicking it so hard that it's starting to come off its hinges....I might count that. Heh, it's easy to talk about what we'd do, but when it actually happens, who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by jmiked View Post
    Right after they do enough damage to the door or window to prove intent to enter.

AZ is good about that!

Bingo
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

Quote Originally Posted by foots402 View Post
    I'm not sure but by law here in FL they have to be physically inside your residence uninvited. So let them come, then they can either wait there at gunpoint while the police arrive for them or they can go with the coroner.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

I asked my neighbor about this and he said the blood would be easier to hose off of the porch than getting it out of the carpet in the living room. I might consider that when making my decision.......

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    As soon as he is in, he's dead!
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" J. Buffett

I will not shoot until I have an identifiable target! If I can see an intruder breaking into a window I am probably going to wait until he's trying to crawl through. I want the physical signs of forced entry as evidence.

Likewise when someone is kicking in my door. I want to see an identifiable target. I'm not going to shoot through a closed exterior door at a target I haven't identified. Again, I want physical evidence of forced entry into my house.

Now, if someone is already in my home, I have already identified him as a bad guy and he is trying to hide from me, I'm not opposed to unleashing fire through an interior wall, if the situation dictates I do so.

These are just my basic guidelines. However, I'm flexible and will respond based on how it plays out before me.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links