Women's choice of concealed gun

This is a discussion on Women's choice of concealed gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I really like the Ruger sp101, I also like the gp 100 but it is much to big for me to conceal. I am pretty ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Women's choice of concealed gun

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    I really like the Ruger sp101, I also like the gp 100 but it is much to big for me to conceal. I am pretty good at shooting it. I have tried the springfield sd 40 its alright but I can't rack the slide or pull the release. I will have to try more semi-auto's to see if they are even a possibility for me. I have tried several ways to rack the slide and I haven't even come close with the 40. I have also heard about people accidentally shooting themselves with semi-autos all tho I am very careful with all guns this concerns me.

2. Remove Ads

My wife has been carrying my Kel-Tec P3AT.

But I will soon get it back. I just brought her a Rutger LCP, in Raspberry of course. After break-in she will be carrying it.
    02PSD4ME

All I can say is that my wife would never think of using anything but a S&W hammerless snubby (such as a 640, 442, etc). Since she does not practice shooting a lot, and she is not a "gun person" per-say, she loves a snubby's inherent safety, reliability, and clarity of operation. (Many here will honestly and sincerely suggest a semi-auto, but unless you plan on practicing a lot -- going through clearance and safety drills -- then the simple revolver is a no-brainer, especially one that you cannot possibly place into the much more dangerous single action mode [i.e., the revolver should be a double-action only weapon]).

-Bill

Ruger LCP for my wife. It was originally mine but she took it after deciding her PT111 9mm was too heavy, and I had to go get a Kel-Tec PF9 to replace it as my pocket gun.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Here ya go Saber

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    I'm not female either but here goes....

My wife carries a Ruger LCP in .380. She has a small leather in waist band holster but she carries it in her purse.

I gently remind her that if the theif grabs her purse, her pistol is a gonner. Hopefully she will start carrying the thing on her person and not her purse.
    Quote Originally Posted by REVMAN View Post
    My wife also carries a LCP .380
    Quote Originally Posted by Jex View Post
    When my wife decided that she wanted a weapon of her own we tried several guns. She can handle my HK .40 ok but it is a little uncomfortable for her. She decided that she liked the simplicity and reliability of a revolver. She settled on the Ruger LCR. Light weight, enclosed hammer, and very smooth trigger. We got the CT laser grip on it so it is very easy to aim, shoot, and get back on target.

Quote Originally Posted by alexcantslee View Post
    My wife hasn't made a decision to carry but she wants her own gun and wants to get her CHL so she CAN carry if she wants or when she IS ready. Shes been eyeing the Springfield XD sub compacts, she personally really dug the grip safety. She just cant decide if she wants a 9, a 40 or a 45.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    My wife doesn't do the internet, but reads this site with me. She wanted me to put her Rossi 38 Special down. Were looking at the Holster currently.
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    Here is my wife's list: (which one varies on how she's dressed.)

Glock 23 .40S&W (Carried the most!)
    Sig 239 .40S&W
    Kimber Ultra Carry .45ACP
    Ruger LCP .380
    NAA Guardian .32ACP
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    It will defintiely matter how committed you are to dressing around the gun...not the other way around. My fiancee is waiting to turn 21 to get her permit. She has already been experimenting with guns and holster types. She is tall and very curvy. So far she has narrowed it down to a few guns and is leaning towards a IWB holster. Her first choice is a Glock 26, followed closely by a Kahr PM9 and Sig P239. The 9mm offers more shots generally and a quicker reload on average, but is still relatively on par with a .38 snubbie for power, and recoil is mild to moderate. Youreally need to go to as many gun shops as possible and handle evrything you can, and shoot them if possble. Pick whats right for you, and dont buy cheap just because is is cheap. Make sure you get a reliable brand...ask around here. You will get all the info you need and then some. Welcome to the fourm.
    Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    Wife bought a Taurus PT111 9mm and she shoots it very well, but it was to large for her to CC on body or in purse.

I bought a Kel Tec P3AT for a BUG for me.

We went to range and wife shoot a box of ammo through P3AT and looked at me and said "mine".

I bought another P3AT for me, and she carries that little powerful gun everywhere it is legal to carry.

By the way she runs and shoots the gun very well.

As to caliber, I believe there is a difference between a duty caliber for LEO and what a CCer may need on a daily bases.

As a CCer my wife is not out there fighting crime, she is protecting herself from BGs that may assault her or her love one's.

It may take time for you to come the right answer for your carry needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by billfromtx View Post
    My wife has shot and tried all of my various semi's of various sizes and calibars...Her favorite is her 38 spl hammerless snubbie!
    She loves the concealability, simplicity, safety and ease of use. Just point and click!

She carries it in a pocket holster in her purse and it fits in one of the side compartments easily accesible and doesn't flop around.
    I would highly recommend it!

I carrie one as well alot of times for the very same reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    I would suggest that ANY woman who wants to carry, should try out several different guns. From a snub nosed revolver to small auto & even full size pistols. There is no telling what they will like & be able to comfortably handle.

My wife doesn't like revolvers for carry. When we took a couple of defensive shooting classes her opinion was reinforced when she saw how difficult reloading was for some of the other women.

Others will have different opinions....so just get them to try out different firearms!
    Quote Originally Posted by willdabeast View Post
    My wife carries either a ruger lcp or a s&w 442 both iwb.
    Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    My wife carries a Seecamp .32 in a OWB holster. I'm having a holster made for her Ruger LCP and she'll probably be using that.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...p-holster.html

She doesn't carry as often as I'd like, but she's coming around...
    Quote Originally Posted by Njneer1 View Post
    My wife and I both carry a little Interarms Firestar plus 9mm.........just the right size for us
    Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    My wife went thru several iterations before she found her current carry gun. She started with a Walther PPS, but could not really carry it without a substantial change in her wardrobe. Then she went with a S&W snubbie, but had the same problem. Her current choice is a Ruger LCP, which she carries either on the waist or on the ankle, or sometimes in the pocket. The LCP required the least change in clothes, etc, and she seems pretty happy with it.

All of these choices were hers and she worked it out on her own. I'm a good husband and kept my mouth shut thru the whole process.
    Quote Originally Posted by 02PSD4ME View Post
    My wife has been carrying my Kel-Tec P3AT.

But I will soon get it back. I just brought her a Rutger LCP, in Raspberry of course. After break-in she will be carrying it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will B. Droopy View Post
    All I can say is that my wife would never think of using anything but a S&W hammerless snubby (such as a 640, 442, etc). Since she does not practice shooting a lot, and she is not a "gun person" per-say, she loves a snubby's inherent safety, reliability, and clarity of operation. (Many here will honestly and sincerely suggest a semi-auto, but unless you plan on practicing a lot -- going through clearance and safety drills -- then the simple revolver is a no-brainer, especially one that you cannot possibly place into the much more dangerous single action mode [i.e., the revolver should be a double-action only weapon]).

-Bill

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK87 View Post
    Ruger LCP for my wife. It was originally mine but she took it after deciding her PT111 9mm was too heavy, and I had to go get a Kel-Tec PF9 to replace it as my pocket gun.

Oh, before I forget... my wife , chose the LCP.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Wife carry...

She's stepped away for a moment, so I'll answer for her:

My wife carries an LCP .380 [IWB/pocket carry] when in nice clothes or when riding her bike, a Ruger P95 [IWB/OWB] in casual clothes, a Beretta M9A1 [OWB/under jacket] at the office and an M4 [slung] on the road. - No, she's not home right now.

She's nearly 5'4" (that means 5'4" with heels (that means 5' 3")) and the first two considerations were weight and "slimness" - if it's too heavy it'll drag down the waistband and too thick it'll print. We wear polos untucked and sturdy jeans unless decorum dictates otherwise. On average, women's everyday casual wear isn't intended to hide stuff - on the other hand, everyone has a cell phone, crackberry, pager, insulin pump, pocket knife, zippo, so a corner here or there is largely ignored.

Just my 2 cents.

Oh, and yeah; she's got a few guns and a few more holsters. It's all about the "accessorizing".

And, God I hope she doesn't read this
    Protect your family. Reload. Call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    I'm not female either but here goes....

My wife carries a Ruger LCP in .380. She has a small leather in waist band holster but she carries it in her purse.

I gently remind her that if the theif grabs her purse, her pistol is a gonner. Hopefully she will start carrying the thing on her person and not her purse.

Ditto for my wife. She has multiple purses with pockets for carry that she uses depending on what we're doing or where we're going...
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

Well I tried racking the slide on several semi-auto's today I couldn't on the glock 26, walther pps, or the ruger sr9c. The only one I could rack the slide on was the s&w 908.

Quote Originally Posted by pinklady View Post
    Well I tried racking the slide on several semi-auto's today I couldn't on the glock 26, walther pps, or the ruger sr9c. The only one I could rack the slide on was the s&w 908.
    I had the same problem at first. You are probably doing it wrong. You should not be pulling the slide back. You should be holding the slide in place with your non dominant hand as you "punch" the frame of the gun forward with your dominant hand.

Cornered Cat has a good demo with photos and direction of that here: Cornered Cat - Rack the Slide

That site is a wealth of information for any woman looking to get into guns.

I'm no lady, but every time I handle my Sig P-238 I think what a perfect firearm for a lady to carry. Light, very little recoil, actually fun at the range, easy slide to rack, thin, reliable.
    And half the cost of a Seecamp.
    It's my favorite. If I'm going out where I need an easy gun to conceal, I put it in a Nemesis holster, and drop it in my pocket. (I don't like the Nemesis for cocked and locked since it doesn't cover the safety, so I leave the safety off on an empty chamber, for now.)

I will have to give the Sig P-238 a try.

muscle memory

on that note, while in most cases i would agree - muscle memory makes quite a difference. Drove my wife nuts (big shock lol) but wouldn't let her even apply for the CCP until she had gotten all the basic drills down pat to where she didn't have to think in order to do them. reloads, drawing, holstering, clearing, etc. lol guess thats a downside to her marrying a former marine lol. oh yea this was a reply to goawayfarm lol

as to what my wife carry's she has 3 guns (one of them she doesn't carry lol)
    usually she uses a ruger LCR
    for open carry (i know this is a concealed carry site) she uses a Taurus 82 w/ 4" barrel
    and her other weapon is an 1895 nagant so.... defiantly depends on what each individual is comfortable with.

my fiance carries a keltec p32 in the small of the back with a custom kydex holster. she loves it. with little adjustment to her clothing choices she conceals just fine.

I like to carry my S & W snubbie the most. I also carry my LCP in a DeSantis pocket holster and have recently gotten a Kahr PM9 (no holster yet). I think revolvers are the easiest to learn and carry at first. I also carry in my Maxpedition but cross shoulder carry it so it can't be easily taken off and NEVER let it out of my sight. Enjoy your CCW learning journey, this site is a wealth of information!
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

I carry a LCR IWB all day and don't have any problems.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links