Signage

This is a discussion on Signage within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had a general question about how other's view specific verbage signage. Do you give the same respect to the, say, handwritten signs vs. the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Signage

Signage

I had a general question about how other's view specific verbage signage. Do you give the same respect to the, say, handwritten signs vs. the code specific signs? I have read plenty about Texas' 30.06 sign and alot of people seem to think that if it doesn't say SPECIFICALLY what the code says including font size and verbage, they disreguard the sign alltogether. I understand the rights/ wishes of the property owner, but if one was to walk past a "no guns" sign, would that be unlawful and grounds for arrest? How do you view the verbage in specifics?

Arkansas code says:

5-73-306. Prohibited places.
    (b)(1) In addition to the places enumerated in this section, the carrying of a concealed handgun may be disallowed in any place in the discretion of the person or entity exercising control over the physical location of such place by the placing of a written notice clearly readable at a distance of not less than ten feet (10') that the "carrying of a handgun is prohibited."

So does it have to say that last 6 words exactly as you read it here?
    Last edited by dru22; June 1st, 2006 at 03:38 PM.

2. Remove Ads

I would edit the title of your post to say "Arkansas signage", unless you want to sift through 50 different answers, as each state is different.
    For instance; signs don't mean squat in Florida, regardless of the verbage.
    Good luck.
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I would advise you to contact an attorney in your state for an answer rather than go on what is on the net .. i suspect there is no caselaw at this point and its a grey area personaly .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

re

Quote Originally Posted by sarhog
    I would edit the title of your post to say "Arkansas signage", unless you want to sift through 50 different answers, as each state is different.
    For instance; signs don't mean squat in Florida, regardless of the verbage.
    Good luck.

Well, I guess I should, but I am somewhat curious as to how other states view this topic.

I can't seem to find out how much weight a sign holds in Arkansas and I guess with your responce about Florida, it seems some states have thought about the issue. If i can ask, how did you find out about Florida's view? (perhaps that would point me in a direction for search)

thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs
    I would advise you to contact an attorney in your state for an answer rather than go on what is on the net .. i suspect there is no caselaw at this point and its a grey area personaly .

I agree with the, not to believe everything on the net, I currently don't carry where there is a sign posted (luckily I have no need to go in those few places here).

Your correct, it is a grey area, especially here in Arkansas.

In CO the no gun signs hold no legal weight. I never pay attention to them if they catch me all they can do is ask me to leave. If I was to refuse to leave then I could be charged with trespassing. I would say you could also be charged with trespassing if you were caught and verbally told not come on the property again armed and you did it again.

VIP Member
    Yes I respect all no guns signs whether or not they meet any definition set forth by law. I take my money and spend it somewhere else. I'm not giving any of my money to anti-rights businesses.

The two states I'm familiar with shake out like this on signs:

In Virginia if discovered carrying in a posted location they have to ask and allow you to leave. Should you refuse you will be charged with misdemeanor trespassing.

In Missouri it is basically the same, except that they have an escalating charge if it occurs multiple times within a certain time period. The second go around they will suspend your permit. The way the law is written you basically can't get the third offense, because you would be carrying illegally based on the suspension of your permit for your second offense.

-Scott-

Hey, why the name change fellas? I was curious about other states views of this as well. I just didn't want to limit the responce to people from Arkansas only.

Not a problem, just curious.

Thanks!

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Drew
    Scott covered our signs in Missouri. I will add that regardless of the legality of the signs, I will not carry in a business that has any type of sign stating my weapon is not welcome. Having been a business owner I will respect the rights of those not wanting us to carry. Whoever I will also spend my money with those that welcome us and not with those that don't.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Assistant Administrator
    Dru - just thought it was more specific to your locale. No sweat - will revert to old title.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

IANAL

I think you summed it up for Tx. pretty well. If it's not 30.06 it aint squat, and I ignore it. (except for 51% rule). It's not unlawful for me to do so, as the owner of the business can't make laws. They can ask me to leave if they become aware I'm carrying and I would certainly comply. But if I'm carrying correctly they should never become aware that I am.

Like many others I wouldn't patronize an establishment that didn't allow me to carry, but I think that many of the signs you see are to placate the angry liberals and not really meant to drive off legal concealed carry. At least thats my feeling here in Tx.

cool

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Dru - just thought it was more specific to your locale. No sweat - will revert to old title.

cool, Mr. P95Carry, what power you have!

Your the man!

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by dru22
    If i can ask, how did you find out about Florida's view? (perhaps that would point me in a direction for search)

thanks for the reply.
    F.S. 790.06(12) states in part:
    (12) No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into:
    -any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05;
    -any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station;
    -any detention facility, prison, or jail;
    -any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom;
    -any polling place;
    -any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district;
    -any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms;
    -any school administration building;
    -any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose;
    -any elementary or secondary school facility;
    -any career center;
    -any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile;
    -inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law.
    That is the list of prohibited places in Florida. If it's not listed there, you can carry. You won't find a list of places that allow carry.
    There may be case law on it, but I am not aware of any.

You have already found the Arkansas code 5-73-306 that lists prohibited places, so you're ahead of most folks. I would interpret it to mean that the sign must have the exact verbage, thus the quotes around the words.
    My interpretation means nothing, however. The important folks doing the interpreting will be the District Attorney and the jury...if it ever progressed to that point.

Good luck.
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

VIP Member
    Alabama law makes no mention of the right of any business or individual to restrict the carrying of a gun. That said, the rights of a private individual to control what and who comes on to his property is established many ways. So if an individual says no guns it would pull weight. If a business in Alabama put up a sign it would be a waste of ink and paper. I personally would not carry a gun into a business that posted such a sign. Neither would I carry my wallet nor myself in. I vote on that just like I do on some other issues with my wallet. My position is: No guns, No funds. At least from my bank account.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Texas laws are specific as previously mentioned. Oklahoma signs, however, have no restrictions that I am aware of, and can even be in crayon on Big Chief tablet (no inference meant, folks)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links