To those that use a Smart Carry

This is a discussion on To those that use a Smart Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was just about to post the question that Mrbrent answered for me. I just purchased a Springfield EMP and while waiting for the holster ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To those that use a Smart Carry

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I was just about to post the question that Mrbrent answered for me. I just purchased a Springfield EMP and while waiting for the holster I ordered, I was going to carry it in my Smart Carry. My EMP is ambidextrious and I am concerned about the manual safety being released when cocked and locked and rattled around by my fat belly. I guess I'll wait for the IWB holster and go back to my Glock 26 in the SC.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Mrbrent View Post
    I carried my Springfield EMP in the smart carry for a short while. I always carried cocked and locked ready to got but I get up and down a lot from my desk and the manual safety kept getting bumped off.
    Nothing like have a cocked and unlocked 1911 pointing at your junk. I had the same issue with the SmartCarry with my Kimber Ultra CDP II with the ambidextrous safety. Stopped using the SmartCarry, and am going to buy one of those deep concealment shoulder hosters that goes under a dress shirt. A couple guys here have recommended them for deep concealment.

I have been using the Smart Carry for almost 4 yrs now. Prior to that I used the Thunderwear (which is not as thick a material) for about 8 and half yrs. I've carried condition 1 (cocked and locked) 45ACP's in them without ever having the safety clicked off on it's own.
    I've been carrying a pr. of either Glock 30SF's or a pr. of Glock G38's (45GAP) in an ambi-Smart Carry for the past 2 yrs.
    It is virtually impossible to fire a Glock thru the heavier material of the Smart Carry especially when you add the thickness of your pants on top of that.
    Not only is the Smart Carry a fantastic method of deep concealment, but it is comfortable to wear, and will not wear the finish off of your firearm.
    I have absolutely no concerns with carrying my Glocks with one up the spout using the Smart Carry.
    Good luck and always stay safe.
    USCCA/DEFENSIVE HANDGUNS
    GSSA/NRA
    DEFENSIVE CARRY
    GLOCK TALK
    PAFOA/American Gun Owners

I am always leary of that type of carry, especially with a glock or single action design. As many people know, there have been incidents where there have been discharges of these types of actions due to improper carry techniques. These the single, safe action system of these weapons is really best left to professionals who have the proper training on these actions and understand them. Now before I get slammd for an elitist attitude, let me qualify my opinion that this includes people who understand these and carry these action types in the proper holster. If you have doubts or do not feel 100 percent then you have done the right thing by questioning your method. In my opinion as one who carries for a living in different methods, if the only place you can conceal your gun is pointing at your junk, you are either carry too big a gun for practical purposes, or you need to change carry methods

I use the smartcarry for my Kimber Ultra CDP and have had one time when the thumb safety was knocked off (still have the grip and trigger safety ). Still prefer the 1911 to the "safe action" types, although I do infrequently carry a S&W M&P with a CrossBreed IWB.

With the thickness of the material used - it would be very difficult to pull the trigger accidentally. Just be careful holstering and drawing and cover the trigger properly.
    No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.

Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by alienbogey View Post
    With all due respect, I sure have a problem with that statement. I've read too many stories of clothing, or jacket ties or whatever catching in the trigger of a Glock being re-holstered and an AD resulting. I confess I don't have any specific references.

The following post about an AD is not from an actual Smartcarry (and not a Glock either), but it sure gives one pause:

AD from a smart carry type holster - THR

I use a Smartcarry regularly and carry a P7 in it and take great comfort in the P7's squeeze-cocking safety system. I'm not comfortable with my LCP in the Smartcarry.

YMMV.
    I hurt just reading that link! I've got to wonder if the same would have occurred with an actual Smartcarry. Sometimes it doesn't pay to buy a knock-off.

I don't have a Smartcarry but I have been considering getting one. I would probably stick to carrying a P239 in it.
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I had the same question when I got my Smartcarry. I wear it everyday either with a Glock 30 (chambered) or a Ruger SP101. I love it and no, I don't worry about a discharge.

Quote Originally Posted by glock45 View Post
    I had the same question when I got my Smartcarry. I wear it everyday either with a Glock 30 (chambered) or a Ruger SP101. I love it and no, I don't worry about a discharge.
    Just to be clear, you're talking about the gun, right?

Right?

^i see what you did there. haha :)

I am actually concerned of AD too. I have a CompTac Infidel IWB with a Glock 26. I am waiting for my CCW permit so I do not carry (obviously). But I tried it on at home and I always worry for AD to the foot or genitals if a round is chambered.

Nonetheless, after reading many great scenarios and thoughts, I will carry with one chambered. I've read many times the Glock will not fire if the trigger is not touched. With that being said, it's still an uneasy feeling I hope that goes away with experience.

Well today I tried what Thumper suggested and I did it while wearing sweatpants and I could not pull the trigger on my Glock 27. I tried and tried and tried but there was just no way to do it. The fabric that SmartCarry uses is just to damn thick. I could feel the trigger but I could in know way pull it and yes folks, the gun was unloaded.

I will keep a round in the chamber while wearing my SmartCarry and just not concern myself with AD. I thank everyone for the input and welcome any additional as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links