BUG?

BUG?

This is a discussion on BUG? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm thinking of adding a BUG to my carry. Right now I use the Smart Carry with a S&W 4516. I'm thinking of changing to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BUG?

BUG?

I'm thinking of adding a BUG to my carry. Right now I use the Smart Carry with a S&W 4516.

I'm thinking of changing to a Super Tuck IWB with the XD45.

I'm wondering if a good place for the BUG would be SOB with a IWB of some sort. I have a PT145 I could use for the BUG but I don't like it too much.

What suggestions do you all have for a BUG and a carry method?

My personal preference is my Seecamp in my strong side back pocket.

Prints like a wallet and the draw is completely natural and covert in a "gimme your money" type scenario......
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

EBC
    I also have the .45 XD as a main carry. but I carry my 9 mm XD as a bug in the small of my back or cross draw IWB.
    ***NRA Life Member***
    ***DAV member***
    ***American Legion member***
    ***CCDL member***

J Frame spurless hammer S&W or M85 spurless hammer Taurus, pocket holster, weak side.

I seldom carry a 'second'/BUG, but I do sometimes carry IWB/SOB in one of these... FIST, INC.

The gun just disappears into the kidney (not the spine) when placed at about 5:00-5:30. The 'palm out' draw allows for a smooth, natural draw...don't knock it until you try it.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Speaking as a person who carries a variety of guns as a BUG in a variety of locations I'll let you know what works for me.

If I'm carrying something as large as my XD9sc (a hi-cap. double stack) I'll usually carry it weak side in an IWB or OWB holster. Frequently I carry it in a belly band type chest holster worn high on the chest with the gun tucked under my weak side armpit. Very comfortable for 18 - 20 hour carry and easily adjustable. I can pocket carry it in a pocket holster wearing baggy shorts and certain casual slacks. Denim jeans are a No Go for pocket carry with the XD9sc.

If using my Ruger SP-101 2.25" or 3" Ruger Speed Six I will carry it in weak side IWB. SP101 can be pocket carried. I can also carry them in a coat pocket.

If carrying my Ruger LCP It gets pocket carried in either strong side or weak side pants pocket or in a rear pants pocket (as stated a natural place for people to expect you to reach for your wallet) I do use a pocket holster.

Or, I also carry the LCP in a weak side IWB rig which has a double mag carrier attached for the reloads of my primary weapon.

There are really lots of options for carrying a BUG. Some of them are dependent on what clothing is being worn as well as the size of the BUG but you are not without resources or places to carry.

Personally I don't like ankle carry for a weapon. I just can't get used to it and had a gun fall out one time while using a reputable holster. I do however don't mind carrying reloads or my ID/money in an ankle rig.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    There are really lots of options for carrying a BUG. Some of them are dependent on what clothing is being worn as well as the size of the BUG but you are not without resources or places to carry.

Personally I don't like ankle carry for a weapon. I just can't get used to it and had a gun fall out one time while using a reputable holster. I do however don't mind carrying reloads or my ID/money in an ankle rig.
    Thanks everyone for the responses so far.

My clothing is almost always black dockers with pleated front and a loose fitting dress shirt for those who have additional ideas for me. Although I do favor the 45ACP I'm not opposed to something smaller for the BUG but I don't think I would want to go smaller than a 380.

Also I agree that I wouldn't even consider ankle carry.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I have my M&P9c and my 5 shot to serve as a BUG. I carry them in my pocket.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

VIP Member
    I carry mine on the opposite side of my 1911 behind my spare magazine for an "off hand" draw.

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I carry BUG all the time. It's either my LCP or S&W on my ankle in an Uncle Mikes generic ankle holster. At times I have carried bigger guns (Glock 27, Kahr PM9) on my ankle if the situation calls for it.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

I don't carry a BUG, but I've studied the issues. Think about it: your main gun has failed to protect you - for whatever reason. I gotta assume the situation is going to hell in a handbasket FAST. IMO, your backup should be IMMEDIATELY accessible, even more so than your main carry piece. It should also be at least as "powerful" as your carry piece, both in round count and caliber. This is your "last ditch" stand. Either it does the job or you're a statistic in the morning.

Just my opinion, and I'd love to hear thoughts on this...

I carry my BUG on my ankle for many different reasons:
    1.) Easier to reach/draw while sitting in my car
    2.) Able to be drawn with either my left or right hand. I don't have to worry about trying to reach into my right pocket with my left hand or vice versa
    3.) In case I loose my primary weapon while attempting to fight off an attacker
    4.) If a situation ever comes up where I may need to arm another person I am with. If I'm at a mall with my girlfriend or family and an active shooter situation develops I am closing to engage while giving my BUG to whoever I'm with and telling them to run the other way 5.) If I am ever in a prolonged shoot out in the case of an active shooter (being a LEO we are taught to run towards gunfire not away) and I run out of ammo, my gun malfunctions, or I become seperated from my primary gun I can at least retreat to cover and hold my postion there or fight back to my primary gun.

Those are just a few of the reasons why I carry a BUG and will continue to carry one.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My 2 cents:
    The possibility of a civilian needing a BUG are so small that I don't see the need. Think about it: Of all those who carry, how many have actually needed to draw their weapon? How many have actually fired it, and how many rounds then? How many had their their weapon fail?

You can see the odds get smaller and smaller with each question. If you were a LEO or vice-cop where you were regularly being put into a dangerous situation, then it would probably be a good idea.

Is your concern that your firearm may fail--or that you'll run out of ammo?
    A reliable firearm for the former; an extra mag for the latter, although most any gun with more than 6-7 rounds is more than enough in the vast majority of SD cases.

If you insist on a BUG, I'd say a pocket pistol, LCP or such, maye a small revolver.
    Or a bazooka--because if you haven't stopped the BG with the .45, that's one "bad ************" as Shack would say.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

As far as ankle carry for a bug, I think that it would be OK. Consider that if the reason you need to draw the bug is you have expended all your ammo from your main gun and any spare mags. This would obviously qualify as an extended shoot out. In that case you had better already be behind cover, unless you have a big yellow "S" on your chest! From cover crouched down behind a table, car or bank counter ankle draw would be quite easy.

I do however find it difficult personally to draw from my ankle holster while sitting in my vehicle. To many doughnuts years ago, I guess, but unless I can push the seat back 6 inches farther than it actually travels I find it hard to get my ankle past the steering column and if I lean down to grab the gun from the holster the steering wheel is in the way. For those that want to use an ankle holster in a car, try it before you commit to it.

VIP Member
    When you find yourself in that one in a million situation, you know... the one that couldn't ever happen? If you're prepared to survive you'll come away amazed with just how little "odds", "possibility" and "likelihood" helped you and how being prepared saved your bacon! Just sayin'!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links