CCW permit for non-residents?

This is a discussion on CCW permit for non-residents? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by sigmanluke does that include a state that will not issue to anyone? No I believe you can get one if your state ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CCW permit for non-residents?

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    does that include a state that will not issue to anyone?
    No I believe you can get one if your state has no CCW permit process. The rest of us have to have permits from our home state.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I just renewed my permit for the third time; my cost for 4 years was $20
    while the initial cost 8 years ago was $35 and it's still is.This is one right I will
    exercise my right as an American.

I too am a resident of Illinois. I got my CCW permit from Centre County about 4 months ago.
    Send a $26 check, copy of drivers license and FOID card along with the application and self address stamped envelope and you'll be in business within a couple weeks.
    When you receive your permit, you'll have 3 copies I believe. Sign 2 and mail back to Centre County.
    It's a really simple process to go through. Just make sure you understand where you can legally carry - IL. is definitely not legal - YET!

Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    Here is the web page from Centre county

The reason your FOID card worked is because IL prohibits CCW. Any state that has a CCW permit process requires the person applying for a PA non resident permit to have a permit from his home state. There are only 2 states in the US that prohibit CCW IL and WI. PA requires any other requestor for a non resident CCW from every other state that has a permit process to have a permit from their home state before applying for a PA non resident permit. I believe they will honor a request from a WI resident as they don't have a permit process at all.I believe they extend the same courtesy to VT and AK as they have no permit process either. Every other state you must have a permit before applying to PA

Actually AK does have a permit process....so I think AK resident would need an AK permit.

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    To get a PA permit there is no training required. You have to have a permit from your home state if they issue. If your state has a law that says they can issue permits even though they don't you can't get a PA Permit. That means PA will issue permits to residents of IL, WI and VT as those states don't have a permit system. IL residents must send a copy of their FOID Card to Centre Co to get a permit. There new law about appearing in person does not go into effect till about 5/11. The law was actually passed years ago and had a 5 1/2 years time period before it becomes law. They are charging money so they have enough money for all the counties to buy the equipment to issue permits. PA doesn't charge much for a permit and doesn't make the big bucks like some states. IN PA the requirements to get a permit are you have to be 21. Alive. No Criminal Record. The Alive part is not in their law but I had to put that in there to take up some space for requirements. PA Does it RIGHT!
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Actually AK does have a permit process....so I think AK resident would need an AK permit.

Your are correct. AK did this so you can get permit reciprocity from other states. You don't need a permit to CCW in AK.I guess PA requires it since it's available. I live in MD which is a may issue state. I could not get a MD CCW unless I was a friend of the Governor or some other big wig. Maybe McDonald will force MD to change. I hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    I could not get a MD CCW unless I was a friend of the Governor or some other big wig.
    Or have a very good reason....And jump through some hoops.

HTC Thunderbolt....4G Lightning Speed

To the OP-you can get a PA LTCF very cheap, it will give you Missouri. If you plan on visiting FL(carrying), you will have to have the FL permit. You may want to look at that-you'll need a training class plus the fees are higher but again you get FL and around 30 other states. PA's coverage is not the best but if you're only talking about Missouri then it works.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Smile

I got the form and all looks good. Am sending it out in Monday's post. I am including a SASE as I've been told it is good form, and at $26.00 with no visit to the state, it is cheap.
    I would like to express my thanks to you good people for the assisstance you've rendered, it has saved me a lot of time, considering my diesel-powered computer and dial-up connetion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links