CCW permit for non-residents?

This is a discussion on CCW permit for non-residents? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greetings, I'm a FNG (here at least) and have a few questions. At the range the other day I was told that a PA ccw ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCW permit for non-residents?

Greetings, I'm a FNG (here at least) and have a few questions. At the range the other day I was told that a PA ccw permit can be obtained, thru the mail, which will allow me to carry in states granting reciprocity. From what I've gathered on the interweb, PA grants ccw permits to gun owners from out of state. (I'd try to gather more but I'm on dial-up and my antique computer is low on diesel, so I thought that the collective wisdom here would save me some time. And fuel.)
    It is my understanding that some counties in PA will issue ccw permits to out of state residents whose home state does not allow ccw. I understand that such a permit will not allow me to carry in ILL. I live just across the river from St. Louis, MO, which allows cc, and occasionally go there. And anyone who knows STL will attest that ccw is a good idea, even in daylight.
    I have a valid IL FOID card, am under no disability preventing me from owning a gun, and also have a card issued from the IL DNR certifying that I've successfully completed hunter saftey training.
    My questions to you gentlemen, if anyone knows, are; can I obtain a PA CCW permit without actually going to PA? And if so, from what PA county? Or is the information I've been given outdated? Basically, what I want to know is "What are my options?" as to the laws as they stand today.
    I am confused, befuddled, and perplexed as to the current state of ccw laws and reciprocity, as they are today.
    I ask these questions not only for myself, but also I have a friend whose 24 yr. old daughter works in downtown STL.
    I thank you ahead of time for your response(s) and I'll take my answer off the air.

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    Go to Handgunlaw.us and click on "Non Resident Permits" in the left column. That will give you the info you seek.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Yes, i believe you can obtain a CCW from Pa, 1st... you have to find a CCW instructor who has a permit from that state to train others like yourself. When you completed the training you send your info to PA and they will send you your permit. I did all the above but got my permit issued to me from Ut, i also have permits from Mo and Fl. Any reason to obtain a permit from PA?

Gary; thanks, I'll check it out.
    Nsimps69; Well I was told that I wouldn't actually have to go to PA to get a permit.
    Thanks guys, your help is most appreciated.

I have Utah non-resident permit. What I did was find an instuctor that tought the Utah class in Texas and took it thru him. Did the class, paper work, fingerprints and everything else in his class. I've never even been to Utah. I just got all of the items they require, mailed it to them with my permit fee($65, Texas is $140) and waited my 60 days and got my permit. Utah has around 28 states(I think) that you can use their non-resident permit in. There are about 4 or 5 more states on top of that that will take the Utah permit but you have to be a resident of Utah. I haven't ever checked into the PA permit so i don't know how many or which states are good with theirs. I heard Florida is supposed to be fairly easy to get and it has alot of states also but there again I've never really checked into FL that well. That's just what I've heard about them. Utah was fairly easy to get. The hardest part is going to be finding someone to teach the class.

Drop; I thank you for your assistance. From the info that Gary provided I down-loaded the forms for Centre County, PA. They seem to be the most liberal on their permits, as applied to my situation. I am most appreciative of the information, and quick reponses I have recieved to my query on this forum. Kudos to all here. While I'm an old putz, I must say that sometimes this e-web thing works justice to my benefit.
    May you all be blessed for the assistance you've rendered. Again, I thank you all for your time & advice.
    Last edited by rstickle; April 1st, 2010 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Watch the language!!

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Good luck on your non-res permit belercous. Just be sure you do your homework before paying for a permit. And remember that some states (like SC), you have to live in the state that they honor. In other words they don't honor non-res permits even though they may honor the state of your non-res permit.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

The Florida permit is fairly easy to secure and if you check here... USA Carry - Open and Concealed Carry Information and Community ...hit the top map in the upper left-hand corner, then hit FL, then hit non-resident...you'll see that you have a lot of states to carry in......actually, it's a 'no brainer'...IMHO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I lived in IL for 2 years. I am sorry to say that was a miserable 2 years due to the strict laws! Anyway, dont forget to send a copy of your FOID card when you apply to PA. That held up my application when I went for the PA with Centre County. Otherwise, watch the mail, it comes fast! At least is did for me!
    If Guns kill people then all of mine are defective!
    My idea of gun control is using BOTH hands!

Permits in: ND (resident), CT, UT, FL, AZ & MN
    North Dakota Concealed Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

VIP Member
    If you're looking into non-res permits, I think PA is not the best choice. They recently passed (IIRC) something saying all renewals would have to be done IN PERSON. Which means to renew, you do have to travel to PA.

Utah and Florida have much easier requirements IMO. Utah's is cheap too, 65.25 and good for 5 years. Renewal is just 10.00 and lasts the same 5 years.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

PA will NOT issue a non resident permit if you don't have a CCW from your home state

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    PA will NOT issue a non resident permit if you don't have a CCW from your home state
    does that include a state that will not issue to anyone?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    If you're looking into non-res permits, I think PA is not the best choice. They recently passed (IIRC) something saying all renewals would have to be done IN PERSON. Which means to renew, you do have to travel to PA.

Utah and Florida have much easier requirements IMO. Utah's is cheap too, 65.25 and good for 5 years. Renewal is just 10.00 and lasts the same 5 years.
    I don't think this law goes into effect until later this year. You can still apply by mail and get your CCW or renew - at least I did 3 weeks ago. An out of state PA CCW liscense is, I believe, $26. I recieved mine in the mail about 2 weeks ago, less than 10 days after I mailed my application in, and it is good for 5 years so I have a fair amount of time until I have to renew and worry about going to PA to do so.

Depending on which states you need/want coverage for, PA may or may not be one of the better choices but it is fast, inexpensive and (relatively) easy to obtain.

It is my understanding that PA will issue a CCW to people who live in a states that does not issue CCW's to their residents. If you live in a state that does issue CCW's you MUST get one from your home state prior to applying to PA.

You've got nothing to lose by applying to PA - if they don't issue to people unless you have a CCW from your home state I'm sure they will return your application and check.

Being a gun owner and having lived in IL and worked in downtown Chicago for 5 years I can understand the frustration you feel regarding IL gun laws. Not a fun place to be......

This is NOT true. An IL resident just needs to submit a copy of their FOID card when they apply. I live in IL and have a PA permit. My FOID card was far more effort to get than any CCW permit. Wisconsin residents, on the other hand, are screwed because they do not have CCW or a FOID card.

It comes fast. I had mine within 14 days of sending the application to Centre County. The PA Nonres permit is a carbon copy sheet. Nowhere near the size of a credit card. You can use a scanner to copy the permit shrink it down to Credit card size(I believe ~66% was the correct scale) and laminate it. Non res permits have a spot for a picture but it says "valid without picture". You can however add your picture before you reprint and laminate the permit. Carrying that copy with you is fine. Don't believe me, call Sheriff Denny Nau of Center County.

Quote Originally Posted by RXtion View Post
    This is NOT true. An IL resident just needs to submit a copy of their FOID card when they apply. I live in IL and have a PA permit. My FOID card was far more effort to get than any CCW permit. Wisconsin residents, on the other hand, are screwed because they do not have CCW or a FOID card.

It comes fast. I had mine within 14 days of sending the application to Centre County. The PA Nonres permit is a carbon copy sheet. Nowhere near the size of a credit card. You can use a scanner to copy the permit shrink it down to Credit card size(I believe ~66% was the correct scale) and laminate it. Non res permits have a spot for a picture but it says "valid without picture". You can however add your picture before you reprint and laminate the permit. Carrying that copy with you is fine. Don't believe me, call Sheriff Denny Nau of Center County.
    Here is the web page from Centre county

The reason your FOID card worked is because IL prohibits CCW. Any state that has a CCW permit process requires the person applying for a PA non resident permit to have a permit from his home state. There are only 2 states in the US that prohibit CCW IL and WI. PA requires any other requestor for a non resident CCW from every other state that has a permit process to have a permit from their home state before applying for a PA non resident permit. I believe they will honor a request from a WI resident as they don't have a permit process at all.I believe they extend the same courtesy to VT and AK as they have no permit process either. Every other state you must have a permit before applying to PA
    Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links