CCW While Driving: Get around the seatbelt?

CCW While Driving: Get around the seatbelt?

This is a discussion on CCW While Driving: Get around the seatbelt? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I typically carry via a CTAC Infidel IWB position right around 8o'clock (I'm a South Paw). When sitting in the car / driving, this presents ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up CCW While Driving: Get around the seatbelt?

I typically carry via a CTAC Infidel IWB position right around 8o'clock (I'm a South Paw).

When sitting in the car / driving, this presents two problems:

1) Feels like I'm sitting on a chunk of metal (most likely because I am) and
    2) No chance in hell that I could draw effectively from 8o'clock while seated.

I've recently experimented with keeping the gun inside the Infidel and placing the entire rig in the right appendix pocket of my vest (closes with velcro) where I would draw it using a cross-draw technique. Its still not the best, as my seatbelt blocks access and I'd have to work around it to draw in a classic car-jacking scenario.

I'm considering going MacGyver and building some sort of rig which would rest inside the driver's side door-bin (open compartment in the bottom of the driver's side door where most people keep umbrellas & maps & such).

I'd be curious as to how you all manage the In-Car scenario so as to ensure that you still have good / clear access to your weapon while driving.

Thanks!

- Savage

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I've been tossing around the idea of making a combination seat cover holster for my firearm. The basic plan is a snug fitting slip over seat cover with a pouch, similar to a Smart Carry holster without the strap stitched to the side of the bottom seat portion, allowing the firearm to tuck between the lower seat cushion and the console. For a southpaw the idea should work, but with the firearm being between the seat and door panel. By using fabric that matches the color of the car seat, without the firearm in the pouch it would be hard to tell what is was designed for.
    When I have time to put the idea into practice, I'll post a report with pictures.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

One of the main reasons I like appendix carry (A-IWB): I can get to my pistol just fine, even when seated in the car with the seatbelt fastened.

might be something to consider...
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I'm one of the few that use an easy-access fanny-pak. It's always on my left side, and I just put the seatbelt under it. That way, I always have access, and the seatbelt is comfortable and secure.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I carry a full sized Walther P99 .40S&W in a Fist crossdraw/driving holster.
    No problem with seat belts. A quick twist when I leave the car is all I have to do to change it to a regular crossdraw holster.

FIST, INC.

bosco

Another crossdraw driving holster.

Andrews Custom Leather - Carjacker Crossdraw

I have a left handed Bianchi #5 for my G27, and I've been trying different set ups for for a couple weeks. The best all around position, even drawing with seat belt on, is at my one O'clock.

Only issue with using the bin in the door is that the gun would be visible if you didn't remove it before exiting the vehicle. Benefits of being right handed is that we have the option to mount a holster to the center console and have natural access to it.
    What about a rig mounted to the left portion of the seat? This would give you natural access and wouldn't leave the gun attached to a mobile item like the door.

I see four options...
    1. Practice drawing, there are techniques...
    2. Fanny Pack...
    3. FIST, INC.
    4. A holster between the seat and console...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I appendix carry an iwb holster. Seat belt goes under the exposed grip, problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by justben View Post
    I appendix carry an iwb holster. Seat belt goes under the exposed grip, problem solved.
    This sounds like a good idea.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Glock23MI View Post
    Only issue with using the bin in the door is that the gun would be visible if you didn't remove it before exiting the vehicle. Benefits of being right handed is that we have the option to mount a holster to the center console and have natural access to it.
    What about a rig mounted to the left portion of the seat? This would give you natural access and wouldn't leave the gun attached to a mobile item like the door.
    Thought about this too. I'd need to mount it to the frame some way...would require some *SERIOUS* MacGyver skills....but I like this idea a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    I carry a full sized Walther P99 .40S&W in a Fist crossdraw/driving holster.
    No problem with seat belts. A quick twist when I leave the car is all I have to do to change it to a regular crossdraw holster.

FIST, INC.

bosco
    Man - *THIS* looks like a great solution!! I may have to break-down and splurge on one of these.

Thanks! Great find!!

- Savage

Personally, I use the center console, either with a "truck gun" or with my primary carry gun.

Here are some other options, though:
    Vehicle Seat Holster
    The Pro-Tech Vehicle Holster SEAT BUDDY [PTSB-M] : Holster USA
    Universal Vehicle Handgun Holster Mount - Steering Wheel Column Application
    Fobus Holsters ROTO Holster Universal Vehicle Mount

Once you find something you like, shop around. I saw different prices on the same gear at different sites.

Of course, you should check your state laws to make sure they are legal where you are.
    "An armed society is a polite society." -- Robert A. Heinlein

Here's Another Option

My wife and I use regular holsters for her revolver and my auto normally, but when we backpack or drive long distance we use our Wilderness Tactical Safepackers with our seat-belts. Easy to use, easy to access, nonintrusive and comfortable. If you need to, you can take it with you and no one will ever know.
    Check it out at Wilderness Tactical Products, LLC | Home of the Titanium Instructor Belt.
    By the way, I'm a user, not a relative.

Stay Safe.

GaryMan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links