Questions on CCW on a motorcycle

This is a discussion on Questions on CCW on a motorcycle within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I should probably post this on Motorcycle Forums also. I live in GA. and I have a CCW license. From the information I have, a ...

I should probably post this on Motorcycle Forums also. I live in GA. and I have a CCW license. From the information I have, a motorcycle is treated the same way as a car( as far as vehicle). When going through areas, states where I am not allowed to legally carry. I have no way to lock my gun up, as my bike has soft , leather bags. I do not want to break the law and carry the gun around on me where it is not legal.
    However,I have concerns regarding leaving my gun on the bike when I park. When possible , I try to avoid "potentially" dangerous areas. When your passing through some place new, this can be hard to tell- even a gas station at night.
    Obviously,I'm not as worried about the gun, even if it's in the saddlebag when I am on the bike. When passing through an area where CCW is not legal. Would having the gun in the case in 1 bag and the clip and ammo in the other bag , be sufficient , when traveling ? Or does it have to be "locked" up. My guess is , if this were an issue ,it would be up to the LEO and area I am passing through. I ride primarily in the Southeast.
    It's not as prevalent as it used to be , but several years back, the law had a tendency to search you( if you were stopped, sometimes for no good reason) if you were on a Harley, in places.I never had problems, but some of my friends have.They would seldom bother you( unless they were given reason),if you were on a Japanese bike.

Any suggestions ?

JB

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    i carry it in a secure it safe with the cable passing through the leather bag to the frame of the bike...it isnt perfect but its as close as i can get on the bike...the risk of the whole bike being lifted is always there...but ive had a car stolen also....

I have a tank bag that has a carrying handle on it, so when I am away from bike, I can carry it with me like a small duffle bag. When on the bike, I just consider it my glove box. Charging you with a concealed weapon would be stretching the limits of the law a bit since you cannot practically leave it in the open or lock it in the trunk. Here in Kentucky, it is not concealed if in the glovebox. If I were you and had a ccw, most states are reciprical, so I would not worry too much.

AzB
    You could also lock the gun with a trigger guard or through the action cable lock. I'm thinking that would satisfy the locked up part.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Which states concern you? Only Illinois and Wisconsin have no carry provisions.

I ride a Harley Ultra Classic and found a gun vault specifically made for Harley hard bags. You can check it at:

Auto Vault, Gun Safe, Laptop Safe, Hand Gun Safe, Gun Vault, Portable Safe, Safe Manufacturer

Check the individual state laws about "lock and key" and "guns and ammo in vehicles" issues at Handgunlaw.us

Good luck!
    EDC - S&W M&P .45

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take." Thomas Jefferson

http://www.gunrightsreport.com

Links