Carrying in a kayak?

Carrying in a kayak?

This is a discussion on Carrying in a kayak? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Let me preface this by saying that I was well within the law at all times. I went kayaking with a friend, today, on a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Carrying in a kayak?

Let me preface this by saying that I was well within the law at all times.

I went kayaking with a friend, today, on a small river/big creek. While we were the only two "floaters" on the water, the shores were lined with fishermen. With the exception of one individual, the fishermen were cordial. I enjoy wetting a line from time to time, so I certainly understand the potential disturbance we are creating for fishing. We made an effort to stay on the opposite shore and minimize paddling whilst passing.

That one particular "gentleman," however, did not appreciate us encroaching on his fishing area (he wasn't there when we passed that spot heading upstream, but he was there on our downstream leg). He began yelling and screaming about our mothers and kicking our backsides. His 3 friends did not participate in the verbal berating, but they obviously weren't happy to see us, either.

Then, the loud one began to cast at us. Fortunately, he didn't have a very good aim and nothing came of it. We didn't respond, but just kept an eye on him while quickly paddling out of his range and around a bend.

I had my pepper spray on a lanyard attached to my PFD, but my handgun was in a pocket holster, inside a waterproof bag, in a sealed storage area behind my seat. It would have taken some work to get to it.

Has anyone run into this issue before (concealing while maintaining accessability in a kayak or canoe without getting the handgun wet)? Any thoughts or suggestions? Keep in mind that we were running some small rapids, so I was getting wet, but not turning over. I have seen someone turn a boat over in those rapids, so it could happen.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

For boating with a firearm of any type - Stainless Steel is your best friend.

If you're really good with your firearm...wait until the 'said idiot' casts his bait, and then shoot it out of the air...I'm sure he'll quiet right down.

Now that I got that out (I'm sure others were thinking it), the best thing is to just ignore him because it's just not worth the hassle. The guy was probably full of 'liquid superman' anyway.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    No answer for you. Just the comment that you are fairly vulnerable in a kayak to begin with. Being on a river might mean not enough depth to roll. You are unstable in any case so even if these morons pointed guns at you, aiming yours would be darn near impossible.

I think you were really lucky that this didn't get more out of hand than it did, as it could have.

There is one additional issue. Your post is from Texas. You are fine legally so long as you are on the water, but if you had to somehow beach, get out, and defend, there is the added problem that you might be trespassing once half way up the high water mark--if I remember the rule correctly. Maybe the guy was trying to goad you into that, coming out so you could be charged with trespass.

Difficult situation. Glad it worked out with nothing more than ego bruised.

Well you had an advantage in that you were in a kayak and maneuverable where as the shore party were unlikely to come wading in after you.

However, while I've never been in a kayak, I do go on float trips with rafts and canoe's and I am always armed. However, I keep my gun in a ziploc bag which is inside the cargo pocket of my shorts. I don't keep it stored in an inaccessible compartment within the boat.

The reason for the ziploc is not that I'm worried about getting the gun wet, per say... it's just that often times the people with me do not know I'm carrying concealed and if it were to get wet, I don't want to have to take the time at the end of the day, to break the gun down and do a proper cleaning and drying of the gun while in camp among those who do not know I have a gun with me.

I've been swimming in the river while on float trips with my Stainless SP-101 or XD9sc safely buttoned up in my cargo pocket inside a ziploc and it's been fine and bone dry every time.

I use Aloksak brand ziploc bags. They are extremely heavy duty and certified waterproof to 200 feet for 2 weeks by the U.S. Navy and are much more durable than store bought ziploc like Glad or Hefty. Although I do think Glad or Hefty would work just fine.

If you are a paddler you've probably heard of Aloksak and you can get them at most outdoor and river stores but if you haven't heard of them, you can visit their website here.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

After doing a search, I found these suggestions. Waterproof holsters or pouches? [Archive] - THR

I liked the heat shrinking a plastic bag idea.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I carry on boats all the time, both in my personal and professional life. Here is my Philosophy-- Let it get wet, don't worry about it at all. Unless you are on a cruiser, or houseboat it will get wet. When you're done thoroughly clean and lube it. Also, quality retention is your friend. As for concealing, that will be something only you can answer, but don't worry about the wetness.

Distinguished Member
    I'm a shooter, a fisherman and a paddler (well...I don't paddle as much as I used to could), a hunter, etc. I've banged into surfers while fishing the outer banks, fishermen while paddling the north platte, ranchers and their own creative ideas, yuppies that think they own a piece of river in Wyoming, jackasses that believe a SUV makes them beach king, etc. You're not allowed to shoot them. I'm really sorry about that too. It happens far too much as we try to share the water but it seems there's always one out there. A heated debate, and even a night in the county lockup for a "whupping" beats the serious trouble of giving them what-for.

Assume that he's drunk (which is alright IMO) and making sure his friends understand that he's the man. Don't trust him, get down the river and watch your 6, move on, remember that God is looking around too. He'll be getting his own soon enough.

Leave your ego at home. They're spooky things.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Bark'n, I'll check out the aloksak/cargo shorts idea.

Varob, thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Hopyard, thanks for the reminder on the trespass issue. This was my first time to float in about 10 years and I'm not sure I would have remembered that detail.

No ego problems, here. I've always tried to heed this little gem:
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only pull you down to their level, then beat you with experience. "
    We didn't say a word to the guy. And as long as lures and words were the only thing he was sending our direction, our only move was to keep paddling.

We saw more than 100 fishermen, today. That guy was the only one that gave us any trouble.

The wife and canoe and canoe camp quite a bit. I usually have a pelican case clipped to a thwart with a biner and stubby revolver in it. I can unclip quickly--just not as quickly as if it was on me. I have been in one situation when I had it in my hand below the gunnels just in case. I had rather have to clean the gun than clean up the blood.

Quote Originally Posted by maddog duck View Post
    ...Has anyone run into this issue before (concealing while maintaining accessability in a kayak or canoe without getting the handgun wet)? Any thoughts or suggestions? Keep in mind that we were running some small rapids, so I was getting wet, but not turning over. I have seen someone turn a boat over in those rapids, so it could happen.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.
    Up until a couple of years ago, the wife and I used to kayak here in FL quite a bit. I always took a large caliber firearm along in a plastic bag, and then into a waterproof pouch attached to the top of the kayak. Also kept our I.D. and phones in plastic bags, too.
    Never had a problem with gators, upright 'critters', or anything getting wet...and we have tipped a time or two.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lead Moderator
    I use a weather resistant finish pistol and a lanyard so I don't lose my pistol in case of a spill.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member

re: retsupt on kayaking

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Up until a couple of years ago, the wife and I used to kayak here in FL quite a bit. I always took a large caliber firearm along in a plastic bag, and then into a waterproof pouch attached to the top of the kayak. Also kept our I.D. and phones in plastic bags, too.
    Never had a problem with gators, upright 'critters', or anything getting wet...and we have tipped a time or two.
    I agree, you can pack so nothing gets wet and you can operate so you don't tip or need to roll.

What I don't see is how you fire effectively from such an unstable platform. Recoil , vectored just the wrong way, might be enough to cause you to roll. Maybe not so much in a 21 foot loaded sea kayak, or double man touring boat, but 1 man 9 foot river kayaks aren't great gunnery platforms.

https://www.kifaru.net/koala.html
    Take a look at this. You can wear it as a chest rig in addition to other ways. Then you can carry other odds and ends like snacks or cameras to. Plus if you take a dunk you'll still have that gear with you.

And on this thread there's more pictures.
    New Koala!!! - Kifaru Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links