"must notify" states

This is a discussion on "must notify" states within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So if you fail to notify while not carrying, does the nice officer get to go to your house and select from your collection? "I'll ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "must notify" states

So if you fail to notify while not carrying, does the nice officer get to go to your house and select from your collection?
    "I'll take this one, that you failed to notify me that you weren't carrying."
    "I'm letting you off easy, I could have taken the Seecamp."

2. Remove Ads

Ohio has a pretty hardcore duty to inform policy. Pretty sure you have notify even if you're not carrying.
    I may be way wrong but I tend to doubt that's the case anywhere. Just seems too silly. Colorado has no requirement to inform either way. I consider it a courtesy and a sensible course of action to inform if I am carrying. If I'm not carrying what's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    North Carolina you must notify either way
    Incorrect.

14‑415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.

(a) Any person who has a concealed handgun permit may carry a concealed handgun unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law. The person shall carry the permit together with valid identification whenever the person is carrying a concealed handgun, shall disclose to any law enforcement officer that the person holds a valid permit and is carrying a concealed handgun when approached or addressed by the officer, and shall display both the permit and the proper identification upon the request of a law enforcement officer. In addition to these requirements, a military permittee whose permit has expired during deployment may carry a concealed handgun during the 90 days following the end of deployment and before the permit is renewed provided the permittee also displays proof of deployment to any law enforcement officer.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeBool View Post
    Ohio has a pretty hardcore duty to inform policy. Pretty sure you have notify even if you're not carrying.
    Also incorrect

2923.12 Carrying concealed weapons.

(A) No person shall knowingly carry or have, concealed on the person’s person or concealed ready at hand, any of the following:

(1) A deadly weapon other than a handgun;

(2) A handgun other than a dangerous ordnance;

(3) A dangerous ordnance.

(B) No person who has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code or a license to carry a concealed handgun that was issued by another state with which the attorney general has entered into a reciprocity agreement under section 109.69 of the Revised Code shall do any of the following:

(1) If the person is stopped for a law enforcement purpose and is carrying a concealed handgun, fail to promptly inform any law enforcement officer who approaches the person after the person has been stopped that the person has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun and that the person then is carrying a concealed handgun;

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    So if I'm carrying a "revolver" I'm off the hook? Love the technicalities of the law!

Just had to say that.
    I know you are being tongue-in-cheek, but the term "pistol" can be, and often is, used to encompass both revolvers and single shots in addition to the semi-automatic. Same deal as the term "handgun".
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I live in NC, and the law says:

"Not only must the individual carry the
    permit along with proper identification whenever the handgun is being carried concealed,but he/she must also inform any law enforcement officer who approaches him/her thathe/she is in possession of a permit and a concealed handgun."

Since it is not required that you carry your permit if you are not carrying, then I believe that you are also not required to tell the LEO that you are not carrying. The law only states what you must do "if" you are carrying. My opinion.
    " In theory, reality and theory are the same. In reality, they are not."

GLOCK G23, KAHR CW9, RUGER LCP, TAURUS PT92, TAURUS 689, MOSSY 500

NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    I know you are being tongue-in-cheek, but the term "pistol" can be, and often is, used to encompass both revolvers and single shots in addition to the semi-automatic. Same deal as the term "handgun".

I don't think many duels took place with semi automatic handguns.. Mostly duelling pistols...

bosco

Quote Originally Posted by ZeBool View Post
    100% incorrect.

There is NO requirement to notify when not carrying.

I follow the letter of the law, no more no less.

I would never notify if not carrying.

I would never notify if it were not required by law when carrying.

I sure would like to know who actually writes these laws. It sounds like my 5 yr. old when he's trying to explain something to me.

Virginia is famous for writing vague and unclear laws. Which often leaves you with more questions than answers?

Vague and unclear = interpretation. Now this may be great in a court room, but not so much on the road side when being stopped for a minor traffic violation.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    I think they should carry it one step further.

Officer: Sir may I talk with you.

Permit holder: Yes officer, but first I must inform you I am in possession of a state issued drivers license, and my car is in the parking lot 3 blocks away.

Officer: Just don't make any sudden moves towards it!

Makes as much sense as informing your not armed.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rangermed View Post
    Wow! I was JUST asking a co-worker that very question! I too am in Michigan, haven't taken the class yet, but I wanted to know. He said yes, you have to notify whether you are carrying or not. Even if it's locked in the trunk of your car. Failure could result in fines AND possible confiscation of both permit AND firearm...interesting to consider.
    If you are not carrying, you do not need to notify by law.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    So if I'm carrying a "revolver" I'm off the hook? Love the technicalities of the law!

Just had to say that.
    Pistol is a generic name for a handgun in history. Michigan issues a Concealed Pistol License. The term also doesn't mean one pistol only. The original licenses under shall issue laws in 2001 stated "pistols" which sounded stupid if nothing else, and the switch probably was the orgin of the rumors in Michigan about being allowed to carry only one pistol.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    In every state that has a must inform law you are only required by law to inform the Officer if you have a firearm on you. If the firearm is in the vehicle with you then you must inform. If it is unloaded and locked up in the trunk you do not have to notify in any state that has a must inform law.

Every one of the must inform laws was written so that the Officer would know there was a firearm on or in reach of person in the vehicle.

Would a felon in possession of a firearm have to inform? Can he be charged with a crime for not informing? He would be violating his 5th Amendment rights to self incrimination if he told the Officer. I read a paper a few years back about that very thing and the Attorney who wrote it stated that a felon would not have to inform the Officer when approached in a must inform state. Now if the Officer ask him if there were firearms in the vehicle and he said no then he could be charged with lying to an Officer. But couldn't be charged with breaking the must inform law.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Tennessee: No need to inform. At check stops (only kind I worry about, I drive within the limits) I just hand car registration and DL to officer. He'll see HCP if and when he runs plates, but I have never had them run plates( I have a State Guard plate with a low number).
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    Tennessee: No need to inform. At check stops (only kind I worry about, I drive within the limits) I just hand car registration and DL to officer. He'll see HCP if and when he runs plates, but I have never had them run plates( I have a State Guard plate with a low number).
    are you sure its your plate connected to HCP? I would think DL...as anybody could be driving your car...only you the HCP holder can use your DL.

Quote Originally Posted by spar10 View Post
    michigan is a must notify state. but in states that have "must notify" requirements does this also mean you must notify when you are NOT carrying if that's the case?
    No....why would you notify a LEO if you aren't carrying? What would they charge you with? Not informing a LEO you're NOT carrying a gun?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links