"must notify" states

This is a discussion on "must notify" states within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Guns and more "I'm letting you off easy, I could have taken the Seecamp." So, he took the "quality" P32 or P3AT ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "must notify" states

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    "I'm letting you off easy, I could have taken the Seecamp."
    So, he took the "quality" P32 or P3AT instead?

Seriously, what's the scoop on having to notify in Arizona?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    Tennessee: No need to inform. At check stops (only kind I worry about, I drive within the limits) I just hand car registration and DL to officer. He'll see HCP if and when he runs plates, but I have never had them run plates( I have a State Guard plate with a low number).
    Just how low of a plate number is it?? Just curious.
    I dont inform if im not carring either.

VIP Member

I don't think so

Quote Originally Posted by Rangermed View Post
    Wow! I was JUST asking a co-worker that very question! I too am in Michigan, haven't taken the class yet, but I wanted to know. He said yes, you have to notify whether you are carrying or not. Even if it's locked in the trunk of your car. Failure could result in fines AND possible confiscation of both permit AND firearm...interesting to consider.
    ^^^NO^^^^^^^^^

Here is what the MSP website says

Proper Conduct During Encounters with Police

Responsibilities of Individuals With a CCW License:

An individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol who is stopped by a police officer (traffic stop or otherwise) while in possession of a pistol shall immediately disclose to the police officer that he or she is carrying a concealed pistol either on their person or in their motor vehicle.
    Failure to disclose this information to a police officer carries the following penalties:
    First offense = State Civil Infraction - $500 fine and 6-month CCW license suspension.
    Second offense = State Civil Infraction - $1000 fine and CCW license revocation.
    An individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol shall have the license in his or her possession at all times he or she is carrying a concealed pistol.
    Failure to possess CCW license when carrying a concealed pistol is a State Civil Infraction and a $100.00 fine.
    Upon request, an individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol shall show both of the following to a police officer:
    His or her license to carry a concealed pistol
    His or her driver license or personal identification card

Failure to show CCW license and Michigan driver license or Michigan personal identification card when carrying a concealed pistol is a State Civil Infraction and $100.00 fine.
    A pistol carried in violation of numbers 1, 2, or 3 is subject to immediate seizure by a police officer.
    If a weapon is seized for failure

It does not say that if you are NOT carrying that you must show

MSP - Proper Conduct During Encounters with Police

Heres the link for further reading

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    So if I'm carrying a "revolver" I'm off the hook? Love the technicalities of the law!

Just had to say that.
    When did a revolver cease to be a pistol?
    You may now carry on with your absurd non-directional bantering.
    Yocan

Oklahoma you must notify carrying or not.
    Stupidity on YOUR part will not necessarily constitute an emergency on MINE!

Quote Originally Posted by mirage2521 View Post
    When did a revolver cease to be a pistol?
    Dunno, but CT seems to differentiate. The permit says, "State Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers" in bold letter across the top. Always thought that was kind of strange.

Quote Originally Posted by targus View Post
    Dunno, but CT seems to differentiate. The permit says, "State Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers" in bold letter across the top. Always thought that was kind of strange.
    Nope, we just cover all bases.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    Tennessee: No need to inform. At check stops (only kind I worry about, I drive within the limits) I just hand car registration and DL to officer. He'll see HCP if and when he runs plates, but I have never had them run plates( I have a State Guard plate with a low number).
    Your plates are run long before he gets to your door. That's done while you are pulling over to the side.

By State Guard you mean the state National Guard or something else? I ask because I am wondering why they would not run your plate. How would they know if the car was reported stolen or a BOLO on it if they did not run your plate?
    Yocan

Quote Originally Posted by targus View Post
    That is strange.

http://www.sportingcollectibles.com/...2broadside.jpg

It's a pistol in this ad from the 1870s
    Yocan

Quote Originally Posted by Pocketcarry View Post
    Oklahoma you must notify carrying or not.
    Incorrect.

TITLE 21 § 1290.8. Possession of license required-notification to police of gun

POSSESSION OF LICENSE REQUIRED-NOTIFICATION TO POLICE OF GUN

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to fail or refuse to identify the fact that the person is in actual possession
    of a concealed handgun pursuant to the authority of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act when the person first
    comes into contact with any law enforcement officer of this state or its political subdivisions or a federal
    law enforcement officer during the course of any arrest, detainment, or routine traffic stop. No person shall
    be required to identify himself or herself as a concealed handgun licensee when no handgun is in the
    person’s possession or in any vehicle in which the person is driving or is a passenger.

We are NOT required to notify, have to answer if asked, and the ONLY time you have to have your permit on you... is IF you are carrying.

I think it's purely stupid for people to carry a permit if they are not carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I think it's purely stupid for people to carry a permit if they are not carrying.
    So, you NEVER walk out of the house with your wallet and don't carry for whatever reason? Or you actually take your permit out of your wallet every single time you're not carrying, thereby risking forgetting it when you do carry?

What about military members or civilians (with their wallets, of course) who work on government installations and secure facilities who can NOT even have a firearm in their vehicle because they risk some pretty serious repercussions if they get caught? They randomly search vehicles, you know...

Are the many, many thousands of people in that category genuinely and "purely stupid", as you say, because they're not carrying and have their permits in their wallets, purses, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    Recommended, but not required in Utah
    Recommended by who?
    Kevin Jensen
    Utah State Researcher,
    www.opencarry.org

Senior Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    I'm happy that so much knowledge can be gained by surfing the internet. Almost as good as reading the daily paper. I recommend that you allow someone to pull legalish pdf's off of the internet and tell you how to conduct your life, in your own state, without doing your own homework and without concern. If you've been admonished for being incorrect, then you must be incorrect. Certainly accept the word from someone 400-500 miles away. It only seems reasonable.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    I'm happy that so much knowledge can be gained by surfing the internet. Almost as good as reading the daily paper. I recommend that you allow someone to pull legalish pdf's off of the internet and tell you how to conduct your life, in your own state, without doing your own homework and without concern. If you've been admonished for being incorrect, then you must be incorrect. Certainly accept the word from someone 400-500 miles away. It only seems reasonable.

Thats why I always try to quote statute...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links