"must notify" states

This is a discussion on "must notify" states within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; michigan is a must notify state. but in states that have "must notify" requirements does this also mean you must notify when you are NOT ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: "must notify" states

"must notify" states

michigan is a must notify state. but in states that have "must notify" requirements does this also mean you must notify when you are NOT carrying if that's the case?

2. Remove Ads

Ohio has a pretty hardcore duty to inform policy. Pretty sure you have notify even if you're not carrying.

Wow! I was JUST asking a co-worker that very question! I too am in Michigan, haven't taken the class yet, but I wanted to know. He said yes, you have to notify whether you are carrying or not. Even if it's locked in the trunk of your car. Failure could result in fines AND possible confiscation of both permit AND firearm...interesting to consider.

What would you be notifying them of ??? that you don't have a gun on you ? ? That seems a bit beyond silly.

Uh.. I'm notifying you that I have a license but don't have anything on me, but I have a license to if I want to ?

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    What would you be notifying them of ??? that you don't have a gun on you ? ? That seems a bit beyond silly.

Uh.. I'm notifying you that I have a license but don't have anything on me, but I have a license to if I want to ?
    In Michigan, basically yes. You must inform LE that you have a CPL and if you are/are not carrying.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Just a couple of things...... I live in Indiana, not MI. We are NOT required to inform. I've only been stopped twice in 50 years, but both times I simply handed over my drivers' license, and my carry license. Neither time were any questions asked, and neither time were any tickets issued. If I were a cop, I'd appreciate knowing up front as opposed to "finding" a firearm. The existence of an Indiana License to Carry will NOT come up on just a drivers' license check.

On the other hand.... if you drive like you have some sense, you'll likely NOT get pulled over in the first place...... no offense...except where it applies.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

From the Michigan State Police website:

1. An individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol who is stopped by a police officer (traffic stop or otherwise) while in possession of a pistol shall immediately disclose to the police officer that he or she is carrying a concealed pistol either on their person or in their motor vehicle.

* Failure to disclose this information to a police officer carries the following penalties:

* First offense = State Civil Infraction - $500 fine and 6-month CCW license suspension.
    * Second offense = State Civil Infraction - $1000 fine and CCW license revocation.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
    From the Michigan State Police website:

1. An individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol who is stopped by a police officer (traffic stop or otherwise) while in possession of a pistol shall immediately disclose to the police officer that he or she is carrying a concealed pistol either on their person or in their motor vehicle.
    So if I'm carrying a "revolver" I'm off the hook? Love the technicalities of the law!

Just had to say that.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I totally agree with Rotorblade. In Arkansas it's same way. If you do not have the weapon in possession, you are not required to notify.

Webster's New World Dictionary:

Pistol [czech-pist al] a small firearm operated with one hand...

bosco

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    North Carolina you must notify either way
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

"Must Notify" laws vary by state. What also varies by state is whether your CC status will show when your DL is run through the DMV computer, as it does in Texas. TX is also a "must notify" state, but only if you have a firearm in your possession (on your person, or nearby).

My CHL class instructor (former LEO) strongly recommended that if stopped while unarmed, to still notify up front of my CHL status, & that there is no firearm in the vehicle, since LEO is going to find out about the CHL anyway in a few minutes when he runs the DL through DMV. It puts the LEO in a better mood finding out up front from me, than from a computer later in the stop, leaving the LEO to wonder why I wasn't up front with him, what else I'm trying to hide, & still not knowing if I'm armed or not.

Otherwise, this makes his 2nd. approach back to my vehicle much more tense, cautious, & confrontational than necessary. He now knows I didn't initially notify as required by law, providing that I'm armed. He will now likely want to determine for himself if I'm armed & in violation of the "must notify" law, or if I'm unarmed & in compliance with the law, being asked to step out of the car & a search will likely occur to make that determination.

When he returns & asks why I didn't initially notify him of my CHL, he may not appreciate my answer of "there is no firearm on me or in the car, so I don't have to notify you of my CHL". Yes, technically I would be right, but who needs the prolonged traffic stop & hassles for the LEO to determine that everything else is on the up-n-up? If I'm such an upstanding, law-abiding guy to have qualified for a CHL, why am I being a jerk (in his eyes) on a small technicality, & for what? What did I accomplish, other than prolonging my traffic stop and being a poor Ambassador for the next CHL holder he pulls over?

If your state doesn't notify the LEO of your CHL status when your plates or DL is run through DMV, & your state is not a "must notify" state, then you decide what is best for you given the circumstances. But for me in TX, the LEO is finding out immediately from me, & not later in the stop from his laptop.
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KimBobTex View Post
    Laws vary by state. What also varies by state is whether your CC status will show when your DL is run through the DMV computer. TX is a "must notify" state only if you have a firearm in your possession (on your person, or nearby). Texas also reports your CHL status when your DL in run through the DMV computer.

My CHL class instructor (former LEO) strongly recommended that if stopped while unarmed, to notify up front of my CHL status, & that there is no firearm in the vehicle, since he's going to find out about the CHL anyway in a few minutes when he runs the DL through DMV. It puts the LEO in a better mood finding out up front from me, than from a computer later in the stop, leaving the LEO to wonder why I wasn't up front with him, what else I'm trying to hide, & still not knowing if I'm armed or not.

Otherwise, this makes his 2nd. approach back to my vehicle much more tense, cautious, & confrontational than necessary. When he returns & asks why I didn't initially notify him of my CHL, he may not appreciate my answer of "there is no firearm on me or in the car, so I don't have to notify you of my CHL". Yes, technically I would be right, but who needs the prolonged traffic stop & hassles for the LEO to determine that everything else is on the up-n-up? If I'm such an upstanding, law-abiding guy to have qualified for a CHL, why am I being a jerk (in his eyes) on a small technicality, & for what? What did I accomplish, other that being a negative Ambassador for the next CHL holder he pulls over?
    Yup, just a matter of courtesy, which never hurts.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Not required either way in NY.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    Recommended, but not required in Utah
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links