Reprimanded by TSA in Airport

This is a discussion on Reprimanded by TSA in Airport within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; HOU (Hobby)...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reprimanded by TSA in Airport

HOU (Hobby)

2. Remove Ads

mirage, what I am getting at is this, we have become a nation of cowards.
    No longer do we have the fire in the belly. We are a bunch of bleating sheep looking to Uncle Sugar to protect and save us.
    As for the veteran reference, just go up and ask one who was in WWII, Korea or even Vietnam. He will laugh in your face about one single cartridge on an airplane.

Give me a major , major friggin break man!

read, commoner
    A Nation of Cowards

Sneak a piece at a time over a few flights, on the last flight assemble pieces
    Stupid collapsed in on itself

i have to agree with gibber, we (american citizens) should not have to feel like criminals when going through the airport. i get we need to have extremely high security, but come on. a letter of reprimand for making a mistake. i dont want to be scolded like a child or made to feel like one by someone that doesnt know me. we are after all customers of the airlines and should be treated as such. after a background check, they should have given you the oportunity to check the bullet or surrender it and apologize for your inconvenience.
    my .02

Dave

Wow, I'm almost surprised it went as well as it did. No small part because of your professionalism and calmness, I'm sure.

Glad it went well.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I am surprised they ( TSA ) knew what it was! IMHO they are a bunch of incompetent morons, I work at an airport and during hunting season in western Colorado there are alot of guns that come through the airport, I was bored one day and watched them inspect AND swab 2 rifles that were getting checked. BOTH rifles still had the bolts in the rifle and the bolts were closed! Next they were swabbing a rifle that had been fired...SUPRISE it came up positive for gunpowder...DUHHHH!!!!!!! After that they closed the case, relocked it and sent it on its way down the loading belt!?!?!?!? Wait a minute they didn't check to see it there was a round in the chamber for either of the rifles? I am confused these people (TSA) are suppost to be protecting the passengers flying the friendly skies??? I went up to the supervisors office and questioned him why those rifles were NOT checked for rounds in the chamber...I got pissed when I got his answer... "They can't touch, pick up or fiddle with a firearm, weather it be a rifle or a pistol, they ASK the owner if it is loaded and have to take there word for it that it is been made safe. It is too much of a liability and costly to train the personnel (TSA) to handle firearms with the possiblity of damage or possible accidental discharge." I could not believe what I was hearing coming out of his mouth and thinking to myself are they REALLY this stupid???? Then I hear about incidents with the TSA like this one, a bullet in the bottom of a pouch, gun is locked up and cleared, but yet a law abiding citizen is being treated like a criminal!! I don't get it! Is this stupidity what our government come to? Sadly, yes! Jofrodo, I am sorry for your loss, and the hassle you and your wife had to endure thanks to the TSA.
    God Bless the troops...especially the snipers!
    -LaRue Tactical -

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibber View Post
    mirage, what I am getting at is this, we have become a nation of cowards.
    No longer do we have the fire in the belly. We are a bunch of bleating sheep looking to Uncle Sugar to protect and save us.
    As for the veteran reference, just go up and ask one who was in WWII, Korea or even Vietnam. He will laugh in your face about one single cartridge on an airplane.

Give me a major , major friggin break man!

read, commoner
    A Nation of Cowards
    So I'm a "coward" because someone is doing their job checking for guns, explosives, or whatever? If a little inconvience keeps something bad from happening on my flight, so be it.

If anybody needs to take a major major friggin break it's you.

Administrator
    Nobody is calling anybody a coward, its simply a name of the book. Now knock it off, or get a internet reprimand from me.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Stupid collapsed in on itself

Let's take a step back for a moment...
    It was a mistake
    It was one lousy cartridge with no way to detonate it

In my 53 years, this seems a big joke.
    To the veteran of WWII, I gaurantee you, it is a friggin joke.

My oh my, what has happened to our society?
    Have we lost all sense of what is right?

Give me a major break
    i'm completely with you on the whole "what's happened to our society". hard to stay optimistic when you stop and look around at what's happening in the world. i worry about what my kids are going to inherit.

you lost me at the one lousy cartridge and a big joke. i don't think it's a joke and it doesn't seem like the op did either. i'm glad this story ended the way it did and only for one reason. it happened to someone that's apparently one of the good guys. there are a lot of good guys here and everywhere. however, the rules aren't there for us, the good guys. had one of the bg's been caught with an unspent cartridge trying to get through security this thread would have gone in a completely different direction. we would be extolling our gratitude on tsa and of their crazy security equipment for catching some douche bag before he could light his shoes on fire or something worse.

i roll my eyes when i go through security. i'm even annoyed when i'm the guy that gets randomly pulled aside for a pat down when i've got my 5 and 2 year old in tow with me. but i put up with it because i don't want any shenanigans going on when i'm flying so i just accept the fact that the few have ruined it for the many.

My sister & brother-in-law took a flight to here for his father's funeral. After the funeral she was digging in her purse and pulled out 4 - .38 bullets and commented.... "I forgot I had these in here, I'm glad they didn't find them when I went thru all of the security checks at the airport". She flew out of one of the most major airports in the USA.

Guess you didn't have the same luck she did.

It's all a crock. The cruddy attitude, I mean.

They act as though legitimate and legal firearms ownership doesn't exist. Yes, you had a cartridge in there. The world cannot possibly end because of it. You're not an axe murderer because of it. And you're not going to do much with a cartridge. It's about as silly as getting bent over a recoil spring. By itself, it's got no utility. Not for a terrorist. Not for an axe murderer.

The mere idea of the thing is what got them bent. It relates to firearms, and that's baaaaa-aaa-aaad. For shame.

And yet, the law supports their every action against you, for the greater good. What is it that citizens hate about authoritarianism? The control is part of it, sure. But it's largely the attitude that comes with it. The authoritarian attitude seeks to impose denigrating circumstances upon a person, to take advantage of such circumstances well beyond what's called for.

This was such a situation, IMO.

Your luggage needed to be scanned well, after finding the cartridge. It's possible a firearm would have followed, according to the procedures. That's fine. Likely, being fined to cover the costs of the "extra" service is justified.

However, that's where it ends. The haughty, indignant, look-down-the-nose superiority inflicted upon you simply was NOT required. You were made to feel the harsh reality of his power over you, your utter lack of subservience at that moment because of how far he was willing to push it. The schmuck added that all by himself. The statutes don't have any of that written into them.

And bureaucrats wonder why they're so hated, in all their guises.

It's one of the reasons I choose not to fly, whenever humanly possible. It's simply not worthwhile.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    It's all a crock. The cruddy attitude, I mean.

They act as though legitimate and legal firearms ownership doesn't exist. Yes, you had a cartridge in there. The world cannot possibly end because of it. You're not an axe murderer because of it. And you're not going to do much with a cartridge. It's about as silly as getting bent over a recoil spring. By itself, it's got no utility. Not for a terrorist. Not for an axe murderer.

The mere idea of the thing is what got them bent. It relates to firearms, and that's baaaaa-aaa-aaad. For shame.

And yet, the law supports their every action against you, for the greater good. What is it that citizens hate about authoritarianism? The control is part of it, sure. But it's largely the attitude that comes with it. The authoritarian attitude seeks to impose denigrating circumstances upon a person, to take advantage of such circumstances well beyond what's called for.

This was such a situation, IMO.

Your luggage needed to be scanned well, after finding the cartridge. It's possible a firearm would have followed, according to the procedures. That's fine. Likely, being fined to cover the costs of the "extra" service is justified.

However, that's where it ends. The haughty, indignant, look-down-the-nose superiority inflicted upon you simply was NOT required. You were made to feel the harsh reality of his power over you, your utter lack of subservience at that moment because of how far he was willing to push it. The schmuck added that all by himself. The statutes don't have any of that written into them.

And bureaucrats wonder why they're so hated, in all their guises.

It's one of the reasons I choose not to fly, whenever humanly possible. It's simply not worthwhile.
    Well said...
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by arffdog875 View Post
    "They can't touch, pick up or fiddle with a firearm, weather it be a rifle or a pistol, they ASK the owner if it is loaded and have to take there word for it that it is been made safe. It is too much of a liability and costly to train the personnel (TSA) to handle firearms with the possiblity of damage or possible accidental discharge." I could not believe what I was hearing coming out of his mouth and thinking to myself are they REALLY this stupid???? .... Is this stupidity what our government come to? Sadly, yes! Jofrodo, I am sorry for your loss, and the hassle you and your wife had to endure thanks to the TSA.
    That makes very good sense. I guess it's too much to ask to train TSA to scan an airplane for pieces that might integrate into a weapon? No, scan millions of passengers, and pile on the letters of reprimand because what is a bureaucracy without a flood of paper?
    Thanks, Jofrodo, for sharing.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    good thing they did not give you the fine
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links