Reprimanded by TSA in Airport - Page 4

Reprimanded by TSA in Airport

This is a discussion on Reprimanded by TSA in Airport within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When leftists make the law and bureaucrats carry it out, anything can happen. No doubt you intended to hijack the plane with that round between ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Reprimanded by TSA in Airport

When leftists make the law and bureaucrats carry it out, anything can happen. No doubt you intended to hijack the plane with that round between thumb and forefinger and a ballpoint pen ready to hammer the primer! I drive everywhere I go these days and with any luck, will always be able to. Just the sight of these glorified rent-a-cops in an airport and I'm immediately annoyed.

I was stopped at the same airport. In clearing my briefcase I overlooked an "empty" magazine. I politely contended that the magazine was a gun accessory and not a gun part. My reason was that the pistol would fire without the magazine. I lost the debate when I was given the option of trash canning the magazine or mailing it home. I was pleased that I was given the option of mailing the magazine home.

Later I received a letter from TSA which mentioned the "empty magazine." TSA said that I had wasted their time by violalting regulations. TSA ended its letter saying "We hope that this letter sufficiently addresses the situation."

I do not know whether the letter was considered a letter of reprimand. However, I think that TSA pofessionally handled the situation.
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco View Post
    Later I received a letter from TSA which mentioned the "empty magazine." TSA said that I had wasted their time by violating regulations. TSA ended its letter saying "We hope that this letter sufficiently addresses the situation."
    Funny, I never received any such letter.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco
    Later I received a letter from TSA which mentioned the "empty magazine." TSA said that I had wasted their time by violalting regulations. TSA ended its letter saying "We hope that this letter sufficiently addresses the situation."

I wonder if a cleaning rag that had recently been used to scrub down a pistol would be seen as a violation. The faint odor would be the violation, gun-related as it is. Totally irrelevant would be the fact that it posed no risk or threat whatsoever. Pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibber
    Have we lost all sense of what is right?
    We haven't, no.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I had ONLY my carry-on bag, and that meant trouble!

Yes, now-a-days, things can get rather problematic: I had only my carry-on bag with clothes -- no loose rounds, no knife, no nail clippers, no nothing -- and I was detained for about twenty minutes because they found residue of explosives on my bag after doing a wipe.

The residue, apparently, came from my bag being used ONCE as my range bag, so they must have detected a small amount of nitroglycerin or nitrocellulose on the bag's fabric.

So even invisible things can get you into trouble now-a-days! Oh well, such is the world we live in.

-Bill

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    My son is in an EOD unit in the Navy and, naturally, he gets "residue" on his uniforms and gear, which drives the TSA folks bonkers until he explains it to them. Then it's "show me ID, orders, etc." until they are convinced...every flight!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mirage2521 View Post
    The WWII vet never had to deal with the threat we deal with on a day to day basis. I don't see anything in the world wrong with keeping a single cartridge off of an airplane. If I remember correctly, the 9/11 hijackers used box cutters. I bet that a WWII vet might not find box cutters a very big threat either but they managed to use the to kill 3,000 plus people.

Are we a nation of cowards? Yea maybe so, but keep parts and pieces of fire arms off of airplanes is not a symptom of national cowardice. It is far more a prudent step.
    That's a ridiculous argument. Arguably, there are folks on this board that can kill 3 or 4 people with a pen or pencil before anyone can even react, so what's the difference? It's all about mindset and responsibility. We've consistently fostered a nation of pansies for decades.

There is always someone that's going to find a way to break the "protocols" on bringing some "dangerous" weapon or weapon components on board. In reality, it means diddly squat if we would quit pandering to the pansies. Folks just need to cowboy the flock up and deal with the facts of life and take some basic responsibility for themselves. I would much rather that 3/4's of the plane's occupants were armed to the teeth.

Get rid of the TSA for the most part as I don't think the government should be involved in airport security save the few airports that have inbound flights from other countries and only from the customs gates out, and let the airports hire their own security (ie contractors). You want good security...PAY FOR IT. You get what you pay for.

Our society has become morally bankrupt and void of any real intelligence save a few select exceptions.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by Will B. Droopy View Post
    ... they found residue of explosives on my bag after doing a wipe ... apparently ... from my bag being used ONCE as my range bag.
    And, thus branded a sinner, you were at their mercy.

What's so infuriating is the simultaneous ignorance and arrogance that presumes you're an immediate terrorist threat, for doing nothing more than having marksmanship in your life. It's absurd.

But then, you're attempting to have marksmanship in your life. Perhaps that is absurd. Dunno! We don't know each other that well.

* Note: I'm just joking, of course. I'm sure you're an ace ten-ringer, in all calibers, one who brings home "the bacon" with every tag. Absolutely.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibber View Post
    mirage, what I am getting at is this, we have become a nation of cowards.
    No longer do we have the fire in the belly. We are a bunch of bleating sheep looking to Uncle Sugar to protect and save us.
    As for the veteran reference, just go up and ask one who was in WWII, Korea or even Vietnam. He will laugh in your face about one single cartridge on an airplane.

Give me a major , major friggin break man!

read, commoner
    A Nation of Cowards
    I agree it's a shame that we as Americans have to undergo such scrutiny just to be able to travel on an airplane. However given the times we live in I feel the concern and requirements are neccessary. I ocaisionaly fly thru Detroit Metro, you know, the airport that the Christmas day bomber was headed into when his bomb, that he did manage to get on board failed to ignite.

I suppose we could remove all the TSA check points and proceedures, and hope the terrorist continue to make shoddy bombs but I think it's kind of like a game of russian roulette! Sooner or later it's going to happen. The US has been very lucky so far. I do not mean to imply that 9/11 was not a tragedy, but even that could have been much worse than it was.

So for now, I'll gladly take off my shoes, submit to an Xray scan, provided everyone else getting on the plane with me is screened also. It gives me a little sense of safety.

I agree with most, they just did their job and let it go. They found it and fixed it.Thats the way it should be. As stated though, one bullet to most of us is a mistake, but it can be one part of a plan. These BG's are like Pavlov's dog, they learn and adapt..we need to also. You can't fault TSA for this one.

Before I retired from federal civil service I had to fly frequently on TDY assignments, both on commercial and military flights. While on active duty in the army, I was a paratrooper with the 101st Airborne Division and took numerous "one way flights"--took off but didn't land with the plane. I loved to fly. But since 911, I have not been on an airplane, nor will I ever again get on an airplane. Not because of the threat of terrorist, but because of the beaurecratic male bovine fecal matter that one has to put up with at the airports! I still love to fly, but will drive across country before putting up with the crap at an airport. (Guess I'll never make it to Hawaii or Europe) My wife, unfortunately is not yet retired, and still has to fly on occasion. She got pulled out of line "randomly" on more than one occasion until she started showing them her government ID card instead of just a state drivers license. I guess an overweight red-headed grandmother fit the profile of a terrorist (possibly IRA?) better than a 20-30 year old male with a beard and dark complexion! My God--wouldn't want to check him!! That might be construed as racial profiling. Like others have said--you can't fix stupid. And common sense is not very common in today's environment.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by Will B. Droopy View Post
    The residue, apparently, came from my bag being used ONCE as my range bag, so they must have detected a small amount of nitroglycerin or nitrocellulose on the bag's fabric.

Sounds like it is time for your letter of reprimand!! What a bad boy!!

Bill
    --- Sig 245, P6, 224
    --- Kahr PM9

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    is it really a surprize that a single round is cause for concern considering it is against the law to bring one on board a plane?...i suppose if 10 people only carried 1 round each on board it really would only be 10 rounds...and what could you do with a single round of ammunition?...how silly...even with a makeshift firing device (how hard would it be?) you would only be able to threaten everyone with it and potentially only execute one person with a bullet in the brain...how much harm would that be?...really...

common sense is that we all know it is against the law to bring ammunition on a plane in our pockets and carry on luggage..so why do we tear tsa apart when they discover something like this and to us its obviously just a small error in judgement or mistake on our part?...

funny....there are a high percentage of members on this forum who are ready to blow away a jehovehs witness for ignoring a posted sign at the gate to try to preach their word at the front door...but breaking a law at the airport should be ignored...try to be a little less hypocritical in your thinking and you might start to understand....and hey..if it were that easy then a bunch of terrorists could just accidentally carry stuff onto a plane...but youll find something wrong with that also...cause if you were watching the airport your keen situation awareness and ability to identify who the real bad guys are would make it easy to thwart attempts on peoples lives...

Slightly off topic.

I have only great interactions with the TSA flying out of JFK with a firearm.The Port Authority Police officers that I have met so far have be Aces.

The last time I flew Delta I took my firearm with me. Here in NY the Port Authority is called to check out all firearms.

After the PAPD showed up and checked my permit we walked across the street to the TSA screening area. Behind the closed doors of the TSA the officers checked the serial number and if fact it was unloaded. I took 2 boxes of 100 count ammo with me.(Staying under the 11 pounds)

The TSA requested that I removed 20 rounds from the mags. At home I removed 20 rounds from 1 of the 100 count boxes in case I needed room for the SD rounds. Which I did.

While handing the 20 rounds one got around loose and rolled under the suitcase. After I handed off the bag to theTSA agent whos back was to us, I as well as the PA officer noticed a loose round left on the table. He asked if I wanted to load it up in my bag. I kindly asked if he can dispose of the round. He said he would.

Not all TSA are bad. Just Some.

Like I said, my experience was nothing but good (though I was nervous as heck). Yes, my mistake, but we all make them and shouldn't be treated badly for them. They ask questions, check you out, and let you be on your way.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links