Reprimanded by TSA in Airport

This is a discussion on Reprimanded by TSA in Airport within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and I were flying home from Houston this week, having attended my father's funeral (he was buried in a Veterans Cemetery with full ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reprimanded by TSA in Airport

Reprimanded by TSA in Airport

My wife and I were flying home from Houston this week, having attended my father's funeral (he was buried in a Veterans Cemetery with full military honors and I had the honor of sounding taps). My 9mm Kahr MK9 was locked in a hard case, ammunition boxed and all tucked away in my checked bag (along with my trumpet) and declared to the ticket agent. Another ticket agent observed as I demonstrated the pistol to be unloaded and wanted to know all about it. The belt pouch in which I carry both a spare magazine and a flashlight remained on my belt, as I might need the flashlight in the case of an inflight emergency.

When I got to the security checkpoint, Xray discovered a loose cartridge in the bottom of the pouch. I could see the TSA agent examining the pouch and call over a supervisor. I suspected what they had found and alerted my wife. She started fretting about me getting arrested and such. I told her to stop giving them ideas and please let me do the talking since it was me they'd want to talk to anyway. They called me over, showed me the cartridge and told me it was illegal. I told them I appreciated that it was illegal and explained that it must have inadvertantly slipped out of the spare magazine during legal concealed carry activities. The supervisor asked me to stand to the side while they investigated.

My wife and I were standing there alone and she was very upset, so I explained that they would probably check my identity, find out I have a clean criminal background, slap my wrist and let me board our flight. I asked her to proceed to the departure gate and I would meet her there in a short while. She complied; I'm glad because she was making me nervous. Everything went as I predicted. The supervisor came back about twenty minutes later, told me that I would receive a letter of reprimand from TSA and if I do it again I would be fined. I asked the amount of the fine and she didn't know. I guessed $1,000 and she responded that that was the low end of what I might expect. The agents were all professional and polite, and I remained good natured and cooperative throughout.

The threat of a $1000 fine is enough to insure that it will not happen again. The wife is going to have a cow next time we travel and I announce that I am going armed; just another bridge to cross when I come to it.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Hey, the threat of a steep fine certainly beats being slapped with one! Nice of them to start off with the reprimand and in their professional demeanor. I could certainly imagine it having been worse.

Just after 9/11 I flew and a P-whatever-it-is military can opener had slipped under the bottom panel of my carryon (the bag normally served as by bug-out-bag). No fine, no reprimand, but they took EVERYTHING out (and there was a lot there) and ripped out the bottom panel to find it... with automatic-toting soldiers nearby. I made my flight, but also resolved not to annoy them again. Yes, I can be taught.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

VIP Member
    All's well that ends well.

But the whole story had me worried a tad worried -- "reprimanded" in title notwithstanding.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I think you did well. TSA must realize that you were not going to do much with one cartridge, especially since your weapon was locked up in checked baggage. In all of my time in law enforcement I was afforded the luxury of using common sense, that's the problem these days, everything is set in stone and gives no room for common sense. I'm glad I retired a long time ago.

Not Quite An Encounter With the TSA

I am sorry to say that I had a encounter once that went suprisingly well. I had to go visit the IRS in a Federal Building in another state I lived in. Well, I had a winter jacket on that I had taken shooting a few days before. Well, I happen to miss the 9mm round that was in the pocket. Well, as I emptied my pockets with the folders of paperwork that had all IRS forms, the bullet appeared. Well, the guard at the door said "You cant have this in here". I said that I was sorry and must have missed it while plinking, and he replied "Well, I will have to plink this away from you". I thought that I was in trouble, well, he said I could go to the office I needed to. I did my buisness and on the way out, he gave it back to me! I was SHOCKED!! Post 9/11, and I didnt get into any trouble! Too bad that TSA couldnt do things the same way, I mean it wasnt like you had a hammer, and screw driver to activate the primer on a single bullet, when the could have checked that you had a gun in a checked bag. O Well.
    If Guns kill people then all of mine are defective!
    My idea of gun control is using BOTH hands!

Permits in: ND (resident), CT, UT, FL, AZ & MN
    North Dakota Concealed Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

All things considered, not a bad outcome. A lesson learned is usually on that's not repeated. Condolences on your loss.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

They could have easily made this airport visit a very unpleasant experience...they gave you a break...congrats for that!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Yes, they could have made it pretty bad. The law is the law, after all, and I violated it. Still, it's nice to know that they can recognize little slip-ups for what they are and let us go on about our business. I hope others on the forum can learn from me.

One thing I didn't mention is that one of the first questions asked by TSA was "when's your flight?" They really are cognizant of individuals needing to catch flights at certain times and then working within that framework, if possible.

Let's take a step back for a moment...
    It was a mistake
    It was one lousy cartridge with no way to detonate it

In my 53 years, this seems a big joke.
    To the veteran of WWII, I gaurantee you, it is a friggin joke.

My oh my, what has happened to our society?
    Have we lost all sense of what is right?

Give me a major break

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    Hey, the threat of a steep fine certainly beats being slapped with one! Nice of them to start off with the reprimand and in their professional demeanor. I could certainly imagine it having been worse.

Just after 9/11 I flew and a P-whatever-it-is military can opener had slipped under the bottom panel of my carryon (the bag normally served as by bug-out-bag). No fine, no reprimand, but they took EVERYTHING out (and there was a lot there) and ripped out the bottom panel to find it... with automatic-toting soldiers nearby. I made my flight, but also resolved not to annoy them again. Yes, I can be taught.
    I boarded a plane in New Orleans, flew to Pittsburgh sent a few days and when I got back to Pittsburgh and went through security the found the great big black K-BAR knife in it's kydex case. I will not go into what all happened, it was ot pleasant but I was not arrested. I was as shocked to find it as they were. I was more suprised that New Orleans completely missed a freakin K-Bar knife in a carry on.
    You may now carry on with your absurd non-directional bantering.
    Yocan

Quote Originally Posted by MaineGlock View Post
    , I mean it wasnt like you had a hammer, and screw driver to activate the primer on a single bullet, when the could have checked that you had a gun in a checked bag. O Well.
    No but to be honest he could have been a single member of a group intent on getting a loaded weapon onboard a plane in numerous pieces.
    Yocan

Ouch, did they confiscate the knife or give you a chance to ship it home?

Quote Originally Posted by Gibber View Post
    Let's take a step back for a moment...
    It was a mistake
    It was one lousy cartridge with no way to detonate it

In my 53 years, this seems a big joke.
    To the veteran of WWII, I gaurantee you, it is a friggin joke.

My oh my, what has happened to our society?
    Have we lost all sense of what is right?

Give me a major break
    ''In my 46 years piece by piece seems like the only was to get a little pipe pistol and a couple of rounds on board. Sneak a piece at a time over a few flights, on the last flight assemble pieces. Seems like a good plan to me.

I am not sure what this has to do with a WWII vet?
    Yocan

Quote Originally Posted by jofrdo View Post
    Ouch, did they confiscate the knife or give you a chance to ship it home?
    '

They actually gave me the choice of letting them confiscate it or checking a bag with it in it. I chose to check the bag. I have heard so many TSA horror stories. I was very happy with the level of professionalism I was shown. I t was hit and miss for a while but after a pretty big meeting with state, local and federal LEOs, the decided that it was truly a mistake, especially when I finally convinced them I had gotten it through NO, the wanted my flight date and time. I might have gotten someone in trouble..lol
    Yocan

Quote Originally Posted by jofrdo View Post
    My wife and I were flying home from Houston this week
    Which airport, so I'll know where to travel safely through?
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links