relocation and ccw, need help from Michiganders.

relocation and ccw, need help from Michiganders.

This is a discussion on relocation and ccw, need help from Michiganders. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, I'm changing residence from FL to MI. I have a ccw for Fl. I see on MI website that you need to be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: relocation and ccw, need help from Michiganders.

Question relocation and ccw, need help from Michiganders.

Hi all,
    I'm changing residence from FL to MI. I have a ccw for Fl. I see on MI website that you need to be a resident for 6 mos to apply for ccw, and that they will honor any permit as long as the permit holder is a resident of the state the permit is issued in.
    Q: Does this mean that I will not be able to carry anymore until I can get a MI ccw to match the MI D.L. (6 mos.)???

Q: Does this mean that I will not be able to carry anymore until I can get a MI ccw to match the MI D.L. (6 mos.)???
    Yes sir it does.

You will be without CCW for more than 6 months because of this.

You can bend the rules a bit and keep your own FL driver license for those six months while you amass proof of residency from when you first moved there. Then you can get your MI driver license and then immediately apply and get your MI CCW. THis way you will only be without a concealed weapon for only 1-2 months. (the processing time) This is probably not your best option as I dont think it is legal but it is a way to circumvent being unarmed for too long a time. How are they going to really prove you have been living in MI for very long if you have a FL DL?

I used to live in MI and have a CPL there, so though I am not an authority, I do know a little of how it works.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Look at the Michigan State Police website and call the local Sherrifs office in the country you plan on moving. I'm sure I read somewhere, that they will wave the 6 month resident thing as long as you currently hold a valid CCL from another state.

You can carry on your Florida permit untill you obtain your Mi permit.
    MSP - Concealed Pistol License Requirements This link may also help you. 6 month as resident is waved for out of state permit holders. Also you will want to check on registering your hand guns. A must do here in Mi. Any firearms retailer can help you out there.

Thx guys. i found a document search on MI website that brought up the concealed app.:

I. Concealed Pistol License Requirements
    A. State Requirements
    Applicants for a Michigan Concealed Pistol License must:
    1. Be at least 21 years of age 2. Be a citizen of the United States or an alien lawfully admitted into the United States
    3. Be a resident of the State of Michigan for at least 6 months prior to application. An applicant is a state resident if one of the following applies:

The applicant possesses a valid, lawfully obtained Michigan driver’s license or state identification card

The applicant is lawfully registered to vote in Michigan

The applicant is on active duty status with the United States Armed Forces and stationed outside of Michigan, but Michigan is the home of record

The applicant is on active duty status with the United States Armed Forces and is permanently stationed in Michigan, but the home of record is another state
    Note: The 6-month residency requirement may be waived by the concealed pistol licensing board for new residents licensed by another state

I appreciate the help, I'll be getting this app in the mail right away. I still wonder though if my permit is invalid until I get the new one? I guess I'll have to talk to my sheriff and make sure.
    I just couldn't imagine them invalidating a permit because I'm now sending tax money to them, but not everyone in government shares my conservative values.

thx 4evr, I didn't see your post till after I put that last one up.

Can you point me to a source on the validity of my fl permit until I get the MI one? I've looked, but I can't find it on their website. just the waiver of residence thing.

Any time, welcome to Michigan

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Which county in MI?
    Be advised the Tri-County Detroit area is usually around a 90 day wait to get a CPL here in MI.
    I'm not 100% sure on FL law, you might want to consider taking a CPL class before you apply. MI CPL laws vary somewhat from those in FL.
    Here is a link to the MI Firearm Laws you may want to read over before you apply:
    http://www.legislature.mi.gov/docume...s/firearms.pdf

If I can be of any help, please feel free to send me a PM, and welcome to MI
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

rugergirl - thank you for the link. That's a whole lot of readin' material. I'm in Luce county in the yoopee :-)
    I talked to the guy at my local gun shop, he said I don't need the whole class but that I do need to come and sit in on the law portion of it, and that the fee for the class would be waived.

I know most people are not really for it, but OC is legal in MI. And especially considering you in the U.P. who'll bother ya?
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Might also wanna check on how long you have to establish a residence in Michigan. Normally that occurs when you get a Michigan drivers license / register to vote what have you. If that is the case, you can legally carry in michigan as you would still be considered a resident of Florida. I don't know how legal this would be, so I would consult the license board, but get a Michigan State ID card and apply with that, then change you resident status when it comes in. It worked just fine for my brother in law, but he is active duty coast guard.

Not to hijack this thead, how long does it take to usually to get a Michigan CPL once you apply. My home of record is in Traverse City, and wanted to apply for my CPL for my home state as I am in the military, and it's a pain to apply for a new permit everytime I move, TX, KY, FL, WA, now NC. I'll have no problem doing the paperwork on leave, just wondering how how long it takes after the ink dries.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzDawg View Post
    rugergirl - thank you for the link. That's a whole lot of readin' material. I'm in Luce county in the yoopee :-)
    I talked to the guy at my local gun shop, he said I don't need the whole class but that I do need to come and sit in on the law portion of it, and that the fee for the class would be waived.
    Beautiful area I try to spend as much time as I can in Alger county, unfortunately it's been too long since my last trip.
    Good news that you can sit in on a portion of the class and no fee too.
    The class should cover what you need to know without having to read volumes of material. I myself will be taking a refresher shortly before time to renew my permit, to keep abreast of any changes in the law. it sounds like your instructor offers something similar.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

It took a full 120 days to get my MI CPL liscense processed. It seems that the system has been overloaded for some time!

I just got off the phone with the state police. They told me that my FL CPL is no longer valid now that I have a MI drivers license, and that I need to retake the class and apply for the license before i can carry again.
    I love this state.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links