I have officially joined the ranks...

This is a discussion on I have officially joined the ranks... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Congrats...Train..Train..Train!!!!!!...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I have officially joined the ranks...

Congrats...Train..Train..Train!!!!!!
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

2. Remove Ads

Congrats to you!!! Welcome to the forum!
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Once you have carried a while summer is breeze, long tail shirts and polos. Dickies work shirts work well and also their polos, but any long tail shirt will work.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

GM
    Congratulations! And welcome to the club
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Congrats on the new permit...FL is now a bit safer!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Nice!

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant48 View Post
    Dude, in the meantime, get something like an Uncle Mike's IWB. Academy, Cabelas, Bass Pro Shops, etc has them for $10-$15.

http://www.uncle-mikes.com/products/..._holsters.html

Haha, agreed. I have several shoeboxes full of various holsters. It's always nice to have options.
    Ah-hem merischino is a dudette

Congrats merischino, quite a liberating feeling, isn't it?
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    Congrats! It's a process, that's for sure.

Next time you are at WW, check out the Danskin windbreaker type nylon vests. They are long and slimming and kind of cool looking, lots of zippers and bright accent trim. AND $13!!! Good coverage. I can do OK in cold weather clothes, but summer will be a problem.

Do you have a nice big box ready for holsters?

(p.s. review #10 up above - this is the stuff they don't cover in class)
    Quote Originally Posted by evo View Post
    Congrats.
    I second the suggestion to get a cheap holster and carry while you're waiting. Get that drawer started
    I respectfully suggest that you two are wrong! What the lady needs for her holster collection is the SHOES UNDER as seen on TV!

But you are both right on in that she needs to start that collection right away and get to packin her pistol!

Congratulations!
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Hey guys, thanks for the welcome!

Rugergirl, thanks for the correction, dudette to dudette of record.

On the Wally World Walk... um thanks on all that but I try to keep my WW visits to under 20 minutes if at all possible. If not, at least under 20 minutes prior to entering the shortest line at the register.

I have always been of the opinion that an open space far far back in the lane immediately opposite the entrance I plan to use is the best option. I care not for being close to the door unless I have some physical ailment that requires a tighter vicinity.

Not responding by number, I think I should preface my comments both to the WWW and the rest of you guys by stating a little bit about my holster choice, and preferences...

Being a dudette, living in a hot and sticky climate like Florida and having a fairly relaxed lifestyle, I dress (currently, anyway) in a fashion that precludes carry in a waistband format. I have chosen to purchase a custom made bra holster, which if my (ahem) full size Glock hiding capacity in that area without benefit of a holster holds true with one, will be sufficiently concealed for everyday carry even if I'm wearing my standard/favored mode of dress, a sundress. This does preclude me from taking most advanced concealed carry classes with that holster as they prefer only waistband holsters, or in rare cases purse holsters, for those classes. I will eventually get a second, third (probably more...ugh!) holster options that will enable me to take a class but for now the bra bit will have to do.

So... when I get out of the car, I am not planning on grabbing my chest to check/adjust the Glock. I'm pretty sure if it needs adjusting I will know already and it will not be a question of a self-conscious hip check/clothing adjustment when I get out of the car. Similarly, I can bend and twist in the aisles all I want and not worry about what I can't see sticking out. (what I can't see poking in, however, is another story).

Luckily, with the bra holster I believe I can have relative safety even at the busiest register with the most unruly children or forgetful couples shuffling past at a moment's notice. What would be a problem: hugging, anyone, in basically any manner. Or, dating while concealed, a whole 'nother matter.

I think I luck out, with the bra holster, on the issues of facing outwards while placing bags in the trunk, and complexities surrounding item #10 as well.

RoadRunner71 - because of my mode of dress, waist holsters are just plain out of the question, at least for now. I have combed all the local and several not-so-local stores for those much less popular, non waist options that appeal: thigh holsters, belly bands, thunderwear or smartcarry, or if I absolutely must a holstered fanny pack or gun purse. None of these shops have anything, let alone anything in a price range I could afford.

The local gun show a few weeks ago did have some Gun Toten Mamas purses for sale, but at exactly the same price as from online and didn't have the model I wanted anyway. Did not see any fanny packs at all to choose from. Saw a few thigh holsters but few and far between, all at fairly unbusy but totally preoccupied chatty unresponsive booths where my curiosity did not outlast the wait for service.

I am chomping at the bit perhaps, but ok with waiting until my order comes in... at least for now. I do not yet have an ETA for its arrival, so that may change.

In the meanwhile, I am still working on my own psychology and training myself to keep the gun not just handy but loaded and at my side while I'm planted somewhere in the house. I bought a safe-t-plug that promptly got lost but I am not letting that get in the way of actually keeping the gun by me. Keeping it loaded, rather than with loaded magazines within reach, is my next step in self training. Can you tell that the gun thing still weirds me out a little?

I hope to be ready for carrying.... at least carrying a gun and a loaded magazine somewhere on me... by the time the holster arrives. I think I will have to get comfortable with how the gun fits the holster and, being a safety-less Glock, that the trigger remains covered by the holster at all times and all positions and that the gun does not ever fall out (even though it has a safety for that....) before I'll be ready to carry it fully loaded.

A gun gives you the body, not the bird. -Henry David Thoreau, naturalist and author (1817-1862)
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

VIP Member
    merischino,

I don't know how you "dudettes" do it. It's bad enough that you already have to deal with the whole "fashion" thing. Then you add in a concealment issue. Sheesh! Glad I can just throw on a pair jeans, a t-shirt and a cover garment and away I go.

I would suggest that you think about some form of body carry such as the fanny pack (even with the "thunder bra") just for those times when you just have to run out for something. Never let the "inconvienence" of CC be an excuse not to carry, or prevent you from living your life normally.

Just my $.02 worth. Good luck!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Merishino, congrats !!! I was wondering when you would get that card :)
    What holster did you order? I forget, what kind of gun do you have? If you need anything you know you can always PM me. Best of luck and update us the first time you carry in your new holster in public.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltyke View Post
    Gotta do the Wally World Walk:
    I had to go to Target for some Christmas shopping day after I got my CHL, so my Wally Walk wasn't by the book. But I did everything at Target, except I got coffee at Starbucks instead of eating.
    Knowing is half the battle.

Quote Originally Posted by davidw View Post
    Merishino, congrats !!! I was wondering when you would get that card :)
    What holster did you order? I forget, what kind of gun do you have? If you need anything you know you can always PM me. Best of luck and update us the first time you carry in your new holster in public.
    Thank you. The gun I selected is the Glock 22, a full-size frame chambered in .40 S&W. The holster I selected is a custom bra holster (not a bra, a dealiebobber in fabric-covered elastic with a built-in holster which rests upon your ribcage and can be accessed through the top of your blouse) made by www.gus4gals.com

I am having some difficulty, however, contacting the maker and obtaining a confirmation of receipt of my payment. Which is, in a word, troubling.

Very excited to have the card, though!
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I guess you'd have to say that finally having the card in hand is just the ... cherry on top of the sundae, right?

Congratulations!

Based on the discussion above, if you tend towards (or at least have some) looser sundresses, the belly band under the dress might work well for alternate carry. Sure, if you have to draw it will cost you a little modesty, but there's nothing wrong with using distraction tactics.

If you want to sign up for some classes, then yes, you'll eventually need to put on some jeans with a belt, but for classes you don't need custom leather. Any OWB decent kydex will do. A lot of our female IDPA shooters use a Blade-Tech with the drop/offset option. Slightly cheaper are the Blackhawk holsters without the SERPA retention system.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links