I have officially joined the ranks... - Page 3

I have officially joined the ranks...

This is a discussion on I have officially joined the ranks... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Nice gun. Let me know how that holster works out for you....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I have officially joined the ranks...

Nice gun. Let me know how that holster works out for you.

NRA Member GOAL Member
    Glock 26
    Glock 27
    Sig Sauer 226
    Beretta 21 .25
    S&W1911

Congrats!

Thank you for the "ThunderBra" information. Now we young single guys have to add that to the mental list of considerations. For some reason I don't see "trying to figure out what kind of gun you are packing" as a reasonable excuse for getting caught umm...admiring a nice looking woman.
    It's Great to be a Florida Gator!

Gene Police: "Hey You! Out of the Pool!

In Merischino's Land of Guns and Cherries...

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    I guess you'd have to say that finally having the card in hand is just the ... cherry on top of the sundae, right?
    are you busting my..... cherries? You crack me up!

Congratulations!
    Thank you!

Based on the discussion above, if you tend towards (or at least have some) looser sundresses, the belly band under the dress might work well for alternate carry. Sure, if you have to draw it will cost you a little modesty, but there's nothing wrong with using distraction tactics.
    This is actually my target for future holster purchase #2. Thinking that the belly band will work when I am wearing two+ piece outfits, or when the holster#1 just plain isn't cutting the mustard. The holster #3 (in my purchase plan) is a concealed thigh holster from the same maker of #1, which would be for those occasions when the bra and belly bands do not work. I imagine it would be... uncomfortable with a full size gun... so option of last choice for on-body carry.

Then there's the future boxfull of off-body carry ideas... fanny packs (don't agree with my wardrobe), purses (don't agree with me, period. I'm a no watch, no purse kinda gal mostly), and IWB/OWB options which would be worn (assuming my current wardrobe and rotation) no more than 15% of the time.

If you want to sign up for some classes, then yes, you'll eventually need to put on some jeans with a belt, but for classes you don't need custom leather. Any OWB decent kydex will do. A lot of our female IDPA shooters use a Blade-Tech with the drop/offset option. Slightly cheaper are the Blackhawk holsters without the SERPA retention system.
    I understand this to be reality. But, I find that reality very limiting and confining reason being that everyone I've ever read on the topic of training says you should train how you carry. Not train in some other manner and then "carry" daily in an untrained mode.

So... for a Lady... to be forced to train wearing clothes and using holsters not likely to be her actual daily wear or carry mode... seems like an utter waste of time, money, and training. Just my 2 cents from the n00b point of view. Seems like the wrong person is doing the adapting.

There would be, in Merischino's Land of Guns And Cherries , classes where tactical training in unholstering and shooting incorporates the transfer of knowledge between folks who are trained in the use of bra holsters (thigh holsters, fanny packs, belly bands, gunpurses, Smartcarry, Thunderwear and versipacks) as actual modes of carry and those who wish to learn how to carry using those modes.

So... in the land of guns and cherries maybe I should earn my stripes and start up a new millennium roving holster course, travelling the globe training ladies how to feign a reach for a lipstick and come back with a gun, delicately and with grace and style. Or, employ a straighten-the-stockings curtsey showing a bit of leg, combined with a graceful fan-like wrist flip bringing the muzzle of the gun forward into play. Maybe a portion of class would be spent walking in circles about the range in heels carrying a cup of tea and saucer in one hand, a gun in the other, and balancing a copy of In The Gravest Extreme upon one's head.

Required clothing would include at least one accessory in a color beginning with the letter "p", something shiny, something flowy or form fitting, and a gestalt that suggests the only thing under said clothing is yourself. All tactical training would be of a quality consistent with special forces and advanced courses would train you in how to overcome a man with a gun armed only with your guile and an earring. (clearly, we are operating in a fantasy land, in this land of guns and cherries)

In the land of milk and honey, however, gun training comes in waistband holsters only mode. Oh well.
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

Congrats, welcome to the forum. And be safe.

at the risk of being risque (forgive me) do "nice rack" jokes become slightly more legitimate?

i've heard of those holsters, but it seems like it would be pretty uncomfortable - my wife saw an ad for them, and we weren't sure if it was worth the money as opposed to traditional hip and IWB options. let me know what you think when you get it, i'll forward it to her. thanks.

also, congrats! nice feeling, huh?
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined" ~Patrick Henry

Congratulations and safe travels!
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Well, good luck with a full size Glock in a bra holster. Wow.

I carry a fs 9mm and it is heavy when loaded with 17+1.

The more I work with my purse carry, the more advantages I find. Of course it has it's drawbacks, but not as many as I'd first thought.

I do practice 3:00 holster draw for IDPA and it's nice...but you can have your hand on your gun at any time in a purse and no one is the wiser...ready to draw as necessary...not something you can really do with a holster.

I've even practiced scenarios where my arms are pinned to my side and angles for shooting from within the purse (without drawing).

Bra carry poses some interesting tactics....I highly recommend drawing from all sorts of positions and restrictions. And then please post them and tell us what you've worked out
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Congrats.
    SC-CWP
    AZ-CWP
    I rather be safe then sorry.
    It's better to have it when you need it then need it and dont have it.

9mmare: I didn't think the full size Glock could possibly be concealed in one of my (form fitting but not tight, holster style) sundresses... but then I decided to experiment before ordering. Turns out, if I skip the holster and just tuck the (empty!) gun between the bra and my ribcage, dude, the sucker is concealed!

I am thinking that if I have trouble, in that very sundress, it will be if/when I bend down say in the grocery store. Again, not so much for the view, as for the fact that my spine will bend and the (longer) barrel will not. So, uncomfortable, 1, and 2, likely to cause printing down my ribcage as I bend. So... possibly a concern visually if someone can still see the part of me that is bent over, but probably just an issue for me getting poked.

Other clothing, regular blouses and such, also had no real issues with the gun just IB (Inside Bra) carried. So, there you have it. Once I get more comfortable with the fact that all the safeties really work, and have the holster, carrying while loaded will begin happening. Will definitely let you know how it goes.
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

Congratulations! Need more ladies like you around here!
    One of the most dangerous political philosophies afflicting America today is the belief that we can’t allow anyone to suffer the natural consequences of their own stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by merischino View Post
    9mmare:
    I am thinking that if I have trouble, in that very sundress, it will be if/when I bend down say in the grocery store. Again, not so much for the view, as for the fact that my spine will bend and the (longer) barrel will not. So, uncomfortable, 1, and 2, likely to cause printing down my ribcage as I bend. So... possibly a concern visually if someone can still see the part of me that is bent over, but probably just an issue for me getting poked.
    I would imagine for a woman concealing like this that the size of her breasts would come into play as far as concealment is concerned (no joke intended)

(Joke intended here) You can not talk about bending over in a form fitting sundress and getting poked in the same sentence :)

9mmare: I didn't think the full size Glock could possibly be concealed in one of my (form fitting but not tight, holster style) sundresses... but then I decided to experiment before ordering. Turns out, if I skip the holster and just tuck the (empty!) gun between the bra and my ribcage, dude, the sucker is concealed!

Other clothing, regular blouses and such, also had no real issues with the gun just IB (Inside Bra) carried. So, there you have it. Once I get more comfortable with the fact that all the safeties really work, and have the holster, carrying while loaded will begin happening. Will definitely let you know how it goes.
    I didnt really mean visually concealing it, but in terms of discomfort. Chafing, sweating, I'm a pretty active person, I have a very active walk even. Purse strap across chest/shoulder comfortable? Seatbelt (I think bra carry might be good for driving if not for the seatbelt! Quick access)

My 17+1 gun is heavy. I've carried it for hrs over my shoulder (holiday shopping :-( ) and carry little else in the purse. My shoulder ached. My new 5.11 Push Pack I wear over shoulder/cross chest and it's much more comfortable. I think bra carry of a full size gun (or even midsize) would make my lower back and neck ache.

The good thing about normal holster carry is that hips/pelvis are normal weight-bearing places on people.

So again, I'll be looking forward to hearing about the pros and cons you run into. Esp about drawing and retention. I hope there are few cons!

Re: safety...bra carry would make it very easy to unintentionally flip my safety when being drawn....my safety flips down. Your Glock doesnt have an external safety tho does it?
    Fortune favors the bold.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    are you busting my..... cherries? You crack me up!
    My work here is done!

I understand this to be reality. But, I find that reality very limiting and confining reason being that everyone I've ever read on the topic of training says you should train how you carry. Not train in some other manner and then "carry" daily in an untrained mode.
    You make some very good points, but I'd like to offer a slightly different look at the issue of range training holsters, if I may.

It's not just a female problem, to be sure. There are plenty of men and women both who would prefer to use cross-draw, appendix carry, small-of-back, ankle holster, pocket carry, or even shoulder rig. (Now I am going to have to go start a poll! ) They will also have to use a strong-side belt holster during most training classes.

Heck, I most often wear IWB under a tucked-in shirt (whether it be dress-shirt or t-shirt). I can use that IWB holster in a class, but I can't reasonably tuck me shirt before every drill evolution, though.

The strong-side requirement is solely for range safety, to make sure nobody is in a position to cover himself, his neighbor, an instructor, or a spectator on a draw.

Now, to mitigate that, I would point out that the classes like this are about the shooting when you are live on the range. They are much more interested in teaching you what to do after the gun comes out. Part of the reason for this is that you can work on your draw and presentation at home, with a dry gun or (better yet) a practice gun, to your heart's content: draw, present, *click*. I have done almost all of my draw and reload practice at home, standing next to the bed (to catch dropped mags). That then becomes part of the skill-set I take to the range, or a class, or an IDPA match, where I spend much more time working on the things that happen after the draw---stance, grip, trigger press, sight picture, and so on.

So... for a Lady... to be forced to train wearing clothes and using holsters not likely to be her actual daily wear or carry mode... seems like an utter waste of time, money, and training. Just my 2 cents from the n00b point of view. Seems like the wrong person is doing the adapting.
    Well, I hope I've made the case that there is a lot to be had from the training anyway, but I'll make my suggestion for "Merischino's Land of Guns And Cherries."

You probably already saw it, but Pax had a thread up about her Washington State expo for women's carry options. If that had been remotely in striking distance for me, my g/f would have been all over that, to be sure... However, take that same thing and add a couple of blue dummy guns (say, two different sizes each of revolver and autoloader), and you have an excellent venue for the ladies not only to see different carry options, but to try them out and work on the drawing skills needed for each. Heck, make 'em AirSoft and you can even add the step of pulling the trigger.

In the land of milk and honey, however, gun training comes in waistband holsters only mode. Oh well.
    Well, in the Land of Live-Fire it does, but nobody said all training has to be done with live ammo. In fact, there's a lot to be said for dry-fire training where the *bang* doesn't distract from the skill building.

Sorry for the long-winded response.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post

Pax had a thread up about her Washington State expo for women's carry options.

I havent seen an update on that. I wasnt able to go and wanted to find out if they were able to get video.

I should see if I can go turn that thread up.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links