I have officially joined the ranks...
This is a discussion on I have officially joined the ranks... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...of the card-carrying, permitted gun owner!
My CCW permit came in the mail the day before yesterday. For Florida, the licensing time from payment, application, ...
April 4th, 2010 01:48 AM
I have officially joined the ranks...
...of the card-carrying, permitted gun owner!
My CCW permit came in the mail the day before yesterday. For Florida, the licensing time from payment, application, photo day to receipt in the mail was 15 days. Not too shabby!
I've ordered my first holster, a custom job, and have not yet heard when I can expect it. We shall see. In the meanwhile, I went in to WW today to pick up some rounds for the range and just because I could, carried my weapon in with me, concealed within its range bag.
Not going to make a habit of that -- carrying it around in a bag. But, it was the inaugural carry occasion so thought I would mention it.
People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
- Abraham Lincoln
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
- Winston Churchill
April 4th, 2010 02:08 AM
April 4th, 2010 02:13 AM
Welcome to the Dark Side
Welcome Aboard merischino.
"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."
April 4th, 2010 03:35 AM
Nice to have you aboard.
Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
self defense (A.O.J.).
How does disarming
the number of victims?
Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos)
NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.
April 4th, 2010 03:47 AM
XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911
If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words
April 4th, 2010 04:49 AM
THE ONLY LOVE THAT MONEY CAN BUY IS A DOG
April 4th, 2010 07:27 AM
Have you thought about picking up a cheap holster to use while you wait for the custom job? Almost anything would be better than the range bag.
If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
Train hard, live easy.
April 4th, 2010 10:10 AM
Gotta do the Wally World Walk:
Rules for the "Wally Walk"
So you got your CHL.
We assumed that you have already chose a proper holster, mag pouch (or suitable combination of substitutes) and cover garment and played dress-up in front of a mirror a couple of hundred times. But now, it is time to go live in the real world. It is time for you to go to WalMart!
1) You must park your vehicle at least 50 yards from the entrance of a regular WallyWorld (75 yards for a SuperCenter.) As you head for the entrance, you must perform a scan of the area including checking under parked vehicles for BG’s (Bad Guys.) Remember, grandma in an electric wheelchair is not a drive-by threat.
1A). Upon exiting car, surrepititiously adjust sidearm. Now don't touch it again unless your pants are about to fall off. Then tighten your belt.
2) You MUST drive the shopping cart. No substitutes are allowed. Negotiating aisles full of screaming kids dropping cans of Chef Boyardee while Mom is on the cell phone and trying the latest Rosie O’Donnell Makeup & Fragrances is a good test of patience and self-control.
3) No quickies! Your stay at WallyWorld must last no less than 45 minutes. You can hang out in automotive and even double check the Rapala lures to see what’s new to kill an allotted rest time of 10 minutes. The rest of the time you must be on the move. An exception is made if you are with your significant other and she goes for the White Sale madness. You must park, wait and be ready to back your mate if things get hairy with the pillow throws or allergenic bedspreads.
4) You are gonna buy stuff so pick items from the top and bottom shelves to test your cover garment. Your mate can assist you and point out any deficiencies. If you are alone and store security or the cops have not arrived by the time you check out, you passed this test.
5) Check out: make sure you choose the busiest register. People will stand in close proximity and you must bear it with patience and avoiding contact. Beware of the people suddenly remembering a forgotten item and sending their mates to fetch it. They usually will brush against you on the way to get it.
6) Meal Time! If your WallyWorld serves Nachos, go ahead and get yourself a big serving of the suckers and wash it down with a Sam’s cola. If McD’s is the choice at the premises, get fries, onion rings, apple pie and a large Coke. ALL MEALS MUST BE CONSUMED ON SITE! No To-Go’s or you will be disqualified.
7) When you leave, repeat the scanning of the parking lot. Remember that now you are also dealing with a shopping cart that rattles like and old train and wants to go right all the time. Do not lose track of your surroundings because of this. If you have a car, open the trunk and introduce all your bags while facing outwards. Pick up Trucks: lower the tailgate and do the same. Keep scanning, you never know where the BG’s might be.
8) REMEMBER: Yellow lights = WallyWorld Security. Red Lights = Cops.
9) - Make test fall on floor in busiest area - near register or anywhere crowded. See if concealment can still be maintained. If you lose that then go back to GO and do NOT collect $200
10) Restroom break (even if you don't have to go), go through the motions, figure out what your going to do with your gun, while sitting on the commode
April 4th, 2010 10:12 AM
Congrats! It's a process, that's for sure.
Next time you are at WW, check out the Danskin windbreaker type nylon vests. They are long and slimming and kind of cool looking, lots of zippers and bright accent trim. AND $13!!! Good coverage. I can do OK in cold weather clothes, but summer will be a problem.
Do you have a nice big box ready for holsters?
(p.s. review #10 up above - this is the stuff they don't cover in class)
April 4th, 2010 10:29 AM
April 4th, 2010 11:49 AM
I second the suggestion to get a cheap holster and carry while you're waiting. Get that drawer started
Benjamin Franklin: "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
April 4th, 2010 11:52 AM
April 4th, 2010 03:55 PM
Congrats....be armed and be safe.
Don"t let stupid be your skill set....
Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......
April 4th, 2010 04:06 PM
Dude, in the meantime, get something like an Uncle Mike's IWB. Academy, Cabelas, Bass Pro Shops, etc has them for $10-$15.
Originally Posted by merischino
Haha, agreed. I have several shoeboxes full of various holsters. It's always nice to have options.
Originally Posted by evo
April 4th, 2010 04:10 PM
Welcome into the fold.
By golfnutcasey in forum Defensive Carry Guns
Last Post: April 21st, 2010, 10:15 AM
By Doc Holliday in forum Defensive Carry Guns
Last Post: February 3rd, 2008, 06:04 AM
By teknoid in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
Last Post: July 13th, 2007, 01:10 PM
By dr_cmg in forum Defensive Carry Guns
Last Post: September 23rd, 2006, 11:33 PM
By wendywc in forum Defensive Carry Guns
Last Post: September 19th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Search tags for this page
best concealed carry thigh holster for women wearing a sundress
Click on a term to search for related topics.