What is up with California?

This is a discussion on What is up with California? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by deadhawg The California coast is beautiful and worth the visit. CA 1, the Pacific Coast Highway, between Santa Barbara and Monterey is ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is up with California?

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deadhawg View Post
    The California coast is beautiful and worth the visit. CA 1, the Pacific Coast Highway, between Santa Barbara and Monterey is one of my all time favorite rides.

But, as you have found, California does not honor any other state's carry permits. You can have your pistol with you, but unloaded, ammo separate, locked in the trunk. Once you get to your motel or campground, you can have it loaded and ready in your room or campsite. No magazines over 10 rounds allowed though.

Don't let the California bashers stop you from visiting. Sure, some of the gun laws suck, and yes, we are granola land, with lots of fruits, nuts and flakes, but lots of scenic beauty too. And, California needs all the tourist dollars it can get!
    Well, I'm not going to be to hard on California my friend. It does have a lot of beautiful places, especially Northern California from what I have seen. As far as gun laws, oh well, I don't base my whole life on whether I can wear my gun in every single place I visit or don't visit. As you said, once I reach my destination, it can be loaded and kept, not ideal of course, but would do.

As far as Fruits, Nuts and Flakes, I don't need to go to California, during my military travels, I've seen plenty in a lot of these other States and overseas and plenty right here in good ole Texas. I just came back from a convention in Austin last weekend, you want to talk about seeing fuits/nuts and flakes LOL.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
    you can have your gun OC with no permit(watch out for schools) and make sure you dont have a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds....
    The statement needs the qualification that no ammo can be attached to the gun. So carry the loaded magazine (or cylinder speed loader) not in contact with the gun (seriously).
    CA Handgun Transport and Carry Law
    TV Coverage
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

The simplest way is a COM locking box. Put your unloaded pistol or revolver inside. Your loaded magazines or speedloaders can also go inside the COM box. Then lock it. The box can then stay inside the vehicle trunk or passenger compartment.

CA does not consider the glove box or center console as qualifying locking compartments for storage of firearms.

As long as your pistol does not have magazines with a capacity of exceeding 10 rounds (10 plus 1 total), you're good.

Remember, unlike about 40 other states, CA does NOT have RKBA in its state constitution. When SCOTUS renders its decision on MacDonald vs. Chicago, CA will immediately feel the effects, unlike states like TX, FL and VA which already have their stuff together. Seems in 1850, CA didn't want the Mexicans to have guns. Some things really haven't changed....

Quote Originally Posted by CraigStill View Post
    It is certainly a strange place. And one I have no desire to visit.
    Yes. I have visited 3 continents, 17 countries, probably hundreds of cultures, and California was the most foreign, almost alien, that I have ever experienced.

But, as you have found, California does not honor any other state's carry permits. You can have your pistol with you, but unloaded, ammo separate, locked in the trunk. Once you get to your motel or campground, you can have it loaded and ready in your room or campsite. No magazines over 10 rounds allowed though.
    I enjoy visiting California and I know how to follow the laws concerning hand guns while traveling through. I wouldn't let the current laws in California stop me from enjoying the sites and activities there. There are places in NM and all over the country that restrict gun carrying too. Go have fun, but take deadhawgs advice.

I haven't lost anything in California and never will. If I had wanted to visit a Communist country I would have done so when I was in West Germany several years ago. I'll just stay on this side of the border until reason resumes out there one day.

Quote Originally Posted by deadhawg View Post
    The California coast is beautiful and worth the visit. CA 1, the Pacific Coast Highway, between Santa Barbara and Monterey is one of my all time favorite rides.

Don't let the California bashers stop you from visiting. Sure, some of the gun laws suck, and yes, we are granola land, with lots of fruits, nuts and flakes, but lots of scenic beauty too. And, California needs all the tourist dollars it can get!
    As a former californian and possibly a future californian, i can agree. California is an awesome vacation spot. Definitely worth putting paranoia aside for a few days. The government may be screwy out there its generally a beautiful state.

hey AAAAAArnooooddddd wake up!!!!!! maybe you should check out your percentage on murders, carjacks, robberies, etc...... compare to Vermont, Texas, Arizona and all the other 48 states that trusts their good law abiding citizens......to carry a gun to protect themselves and their love ones.
    you do have nice weather... i'll give you that.
    got to texas as fast as i could...Fuhgeddaboudit!

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    I didn't leave anything in Ca when I was out there in boot camp over 32 yrs ago so no need for me to go back to look for anything!
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Quote Originally Posted by can2boy View Post
    hey AAAAAArnooooddddd wake up!!!!!! maybe you should check out your percentage on murders, carjacks, robberies, etc...... compare to Vermont, Texas, Arizona and all the other 48 states that trusts their good law abiding citizens......to carry a gun to protect themselves and their love ones.
    you do have nice weather... i'll give you that.
    Im not sure the majority of Californians want to be able to conceal carry? I'd imagine if there was enough they'd attempt to make it happen via initiative?

Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
    you can have your gun OC with no permit(watch out for schools) and make sure you dont have a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds....
    As an ex-Kalifornian, I would most assuredly NOT recommend OC in any populated area, either when you are walking around or when you are in your vehicle (even with an unloaded weapon).

Legal or not, you could be in for a very bad day. (LEOs in Kalifornia simply do not understand, much less tolerate, civilian carry of any sort, unless you are target practicing or hunting. Believe me, getting TREO-ized is not the funnest of things, and that would be the least you could expect there -- and if the LEO who stops you is a rookie, the results could be even more tragic).

-Bill

Sounds like a nice place, I'll watch National Geographic Channel, I can see a good portion of California without having to go there in person.

I worked at a gun shop/shooting range part time for about 5 years in so cal. California considers a mag an extension of the firearm. If the mag is loaded but not in the firearm it is still considered loaded. Open carry has not been legal anywhere in the state in many years. When I travel back to visit family still there I always carry in the car. I obey the traffic laws and will always refuse an officer the ability to search my car. The best thing you can do is learn your rights and not let officers coerce you into allowing them to have their way with you. And most important remember that this is the left coast we are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSig View Post
    I worked at a gun shop/shooting range part time for about 5 years in so cal. California considers a mag an extension of the firearm. If the mag is loaded but not in the firearm it is still considered loaded. Open carry has not been legal anywhere in the state in many years. When I travel back to visit family still there I always carry in the car. I obey the traffic laws and will always refuse an officer the ability to search my car. The best thing you can do is learn your rights and not let officers coerce you into allowing them to have their way with you. And most important remember that this is the left coast we are talking about.
    A loaded magazine not inserted into a firing position in a firearm does not make the firearm loaded, according to judicial definition in CA. As in any state, you can find LEO who either don't know the law or simply want to make their own, and there have been cases of what you described. Those cases were either not pursued by the DA or resulted in major smack-downs by the judge to the DA for making up law.

Loaded open carry is legal in CA in counties with populations less than 200K. That covers rural areas dominated by ranches and farms. There are other restrictions like school zones, etc. But it is not completely illegal as you state.

As anywhere, it is always best to speak with local LE to confirm what the pertinent law is.

And carrying a loaded gun in your car as you travel in CA, without a CCW permit or as LEO, is at least a misdemeanor but can be a felony. If you're armed and have any "medical marijuana" on board, any ambitious cop will take you to jail in a felony bust. But some people may get off kissing the asphalt, pruned out next to their car.

When there are so many legitimate ways to stay safe and still armed, I think it is more productive to give solutions rather than ways to break the law.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links