Taking a church in Chicago

This is a discussion on Taking a church in Chicago within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Also don't forget that McDonald v. Chicago is pending and that most think it will go in our favor. That's not to say that Chicago ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Taking a church in Chicago

Also don't forget that McDonald v. Chicago is pending and that most think it will go in our favor. That's not to say that Chicago & Illinois' gun laws will be magically changed overnight when that happens. But it's something to consider.

Brian

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    Proverbs 3:5-6 If God is calling you there He can protect you and your family.
    On the other hand, God gave you a brain. Use it, and don't move to Chicago for this or any other job offer. There will be others.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

Quote Originally Posted by hk45c View Post
    Listen to the Holy Spirit, I'll also make this a matter of prayer in my personal time!!
    wow, thanks! A random member of an online community offering to pray for me..... (humbled).

Grantspastor - very helpful. I appreciate your honesty. It is not a specific call to that specific church. I know that I have been called to youth ministry, it's just the location part that I'm working on. I agree with you, if the call comes down, I'm packing up and making a bee line to Chi-town! I ain't no Jonah! ;)

rikochet -- "Answering God's call compared to your desire to carry concealed should be no comparison." totally agree. I'll go where I'm sent, no questions asked. Right now I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth looking into this church.

Thank you all for your honesty and insight. I'm still in the looking phase, and weighing options. I'm trying to end up close to family (Springfield, IL and Kalamazoo, MI). Any advice or insight is always appreciated. That's what this forum is for, right? Thinking of things you couldn't think on your own?

btw, nice to see God's people coming out in support. Don't want it to become a religious rant/debate, but faith is just another part of life.
    XDM 9mm
    Crossbreed Supertuck
    SmartCarry

Psalm 144:1 "Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle"

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksabre View Post
    On the other hand, God gave you a brain. Use it, and don't move to Chicago for this or any other job offer. There will be others.
    if I could promote you I would.
    XDM 9mm
    Crossbreed Supertuck
    SmartCarry

Psalm 144:1 "Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle"

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hengst View Post
    So everyone is assuming God is leading the op to Chicogo because a job was offered ? Interesting...So everytime I get an offer I will take it because it is Gods will...really people...Pray about it maybe a little help in the discernment department would be nice...of course if you get another job offer say in Florida or Texas then Chicago wasn't God's will ..right?
    Which thread are you reading? I see a lot of "If God is calling you..." responses. The only way to know if God is calling is through prayer. Sarcasm does not really seem to fit in very well with a post about prayer and discernment.
    Just my opinion,
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    You are bought W/ a price. owned property doesn't have rights.
    +1 for a great observation no matter what the question is.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Quote Originally Posted by thepierce View Post
    wow, thanks! A random member of an online community offering to pray for me..... (humbled).
    Well, add another one who will be praying for you. It is hard enough to figure out where God is leading me sometimes, just in everyday life. I cannot imagine how much time you have to spend on your knees when it comes to figuring out where God wants you to serve in the ministry. Especially when the people you impact will be youth.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

wow, thanks! A random member of an online community offering to pray for me..... (humbled)
    No worries mate!!! It's a pleasure

I lived near Chicago for 25 years. Calling it the arm pit of America is an insult to arm pits! The corruption is palpable when you are in the city, I have been from 130th south to the northern border of the city and would not stop the car for a red light in a lot of places. You would not have to worry about a ticket because the police won't even go some places. STAY AWAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hk45c View Post
    IMHO, you are in the wrong place asking for advice. This really needs to be a matter of personal prayer. Listen to the Holy Spirt, I'll also make this a matter of prayer in my personal time!!
    QFT this is the best answer. your reservations about the 2a may be a warning, or it could be the devil trying to distract you. This is where discernment comes in. good luck.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    As a man who shepherds for a living, let me reiterate that you've been given some good advice here. I will preface further remarks with a mea culpa that I live in AZ, which is among the most carry-friendly states in the Union (and getting more so all the time...).

Personally I wouldn't make 2A the litmus test of a ministry job. I agree that callings are seldom location-specific, so I wouldn't make that the major issue. I also disagree with the majority on this site that without a firearm you're defenseless. I think that a firearm is a useful and worthwhile tool in self defense, hence the 9mm on my hip as I type. However, taking my firearm away does not remove my self-defense ability. I am a defensive platform, whether armed with a firearm, a blade, a club, an environmental weapon, or unarmed.

So make it part of the process. I would rather not go somewhere that is not RKBA-friendly, as I would likely have to part with some of my favorite possessions to move to some states. But if everything else was thumbs-up, and if the Lord seemed to be pointing that way, and if my wife loved the opportunity and thought it was right and my mentors chimed in that it was good, then I personally would suck it up and go.

So pursue it a little. Don't make a determination on one factor alone. Ask God for wisdom like He tells you to. (that's James 1:5-8 for those keeping score at home) Then act like He listens. I don't hear His audible voice much (once, in my head, in my life), but I think He speaks through all the rest in situations like this that aren't completely clear in Scripture.

May the Lord guide you through the decision.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

on the upside the blackhawks are playing well this season. i'd get season tickets.

VIP Member
    Only you can answer the question, after praying for guidance. If after praying over it, you feel God is calling you to go there. Then by all means answer the call. If in your heart you do not feel God is calling you pass on it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by maddyfish View Post
    Aside from 2A rights, the place is a dump. Too cold 6 months out of the year. Too hot/humid 6 months out of the year. Total corruption from top to bottom in all forms of government. Forget that place.
    ^^^Those are my personal opinions as well, aside from 2A...but I'm not the one making the decision. Only you will know for sure whether it is where you are called to or not. Prayer and searching scripture will lead you to your answer.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

So, how important are my 2A rights compared to answering the call to go and serve in a church stuck in the middle of my least favorite city?
    You'll find out that it's not about "2A rights" so much as it is your ability to defend yourself against crime. At least, at the moment crime finds you, you'll find out how true that is.

THAT is how important the 2A is. And you won't really appreciate it until it hits you in the forehead.

Up to you.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links