Taking a church in Chicago - Page 4

Taking a church in Chicago

This is a discussion on Taking a church in Chicago within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You'll take it. Then you'll hate it. Then you'll move. That's how I predict it will play out. When you are young and hungry you ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Taking a church in Chicago

You'll take it. Then you'll hate it. Then you'll move. That's how I predict it will play out. When you are young and hungry you take all sorts of stuff that in your heart of hearts you know isn't a good fit ... but you expend the benefit of a doubt and that's how you waste a lot of good years.

I wish you well my friend!

Anyone else see the humor in recommending that a person stay away who is offering what the place REALLY needs?

I lived in Chicago area and it's good and bad just like most places.

Maybe the OP is the one who will keep a light burning where one is flickering now.

No matter where he travels, he never travels alone so there truly is strength in numbers.

Even in Chicago.

Life is a journey, not a destination.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Grantspastor View Post
    I might be in a good position to answer your question because I CC and pastor a church. First of all I'd answer the question "is God specifically calling me to this church" or is it simply an opportunity to be employed in the Master's service. I don't see a problem if it is simply an opportunity, without specific direction from the Lord. Most of the recorded working and moving of people in the Book of Acts was simply people responding to the Great Commission wherever they went. In a relative few instances they went or didn't go as a direct result of the Holy Spirit speaking to them. My point? It may be more the exception than the rule to receive a location-specific call. It happens, but not necessarily all the time. If God were specifically speaking to me about serving in a location where I couldn't CC, I would obey the Lord and not give it a second thought. If it were my option, I'd just weigh the pros and cons, and pray about it. If you do that and the job feels good to you, take it. Just remember, the bottom line for ministers of the Gospel is to be a shepherd of God's sheep and not a hireling. The Bible talks about this and says the hireling does not care for the flock...only about his paycheck. Where ever you serve, remember you are serving the Lord Himself by serving His people. Hope this helps...

Given the choice between Pastoring in Oregon where I am, and Chicago, I'd choose Oregon every time. If the Lord said "I'm moving you to Chicago" I'd move to Chicago every time...
    The best advice I can offer is that you read the above post many times, thepierce!

2 Corinthians 4:1-12

4:For we do not preach ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, and ourselves as your servants for Jesus' sake.

As much as I believe in 2A rights, I also agree with the comment that when we put our faith in Jesus Christ we are sold out to him. If we are going to be servants of Jesus Christ, then we can not limit ourselves to the boundaries of 2A friendly states. The apostle Paul did not stay in a city that was safe where there was a strong church presence; Paul went out to spread the gospel. It is our duty to be a part of a community of Christians to grow each other and the ones blessed and equipped to do so are called to go out and "make disciples of all nations."(Matthew 28:18-19) The twelve had been preparing for that calling for many years and had trained with Jesus himself before they were "let loose" on their own.

OP, your decision to go to a church should not be solely on the best job offer and the timing of graduation coming up, but about if you are equipped and called. Only prayer can reveal if you posses those two things.
    Last edited by Screamin'Eagle; April 7th, 2010 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Clarification
    "I dont like repeat offenders...I like DEAD offenders."-Ted Nugent

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I was born and raised in Chicago. I lived in what used to be a fine neighborhood from 1943 to 1961 when I went away to college. I came back in 1967 and taught in a northwestern suburb for the next 34 years. I am retired and living in Florida. Believe me when I tell you Chicago is not the city it was in the 1950's. In the late 80's and into the 90's I would take beltways around the city just to avoid going through the likes of the neighborhood I grew up in. One time the school resource officer ( cop ) and I went to the near north side to see about something and he rode the entire way, back and forth, with his service revolver laying on top of his briefcase. These were neighborhoods I used to walk about in, day or night during the 50's. The demographics of the city have changed frighteningly with Hispanics and Asians now occupying neighborhoods once Polish, German, Italian, Greek, Jewish and Irish American. Billboards and window signs are in Korean, Vietnamese and Spanish. English is rarely spoken there. The suburbs are still nice but you have to keep moving further and further out as the urban sprawl keeps spreading. The last 15 years of my career, I lived a stones throw from the Wisconsin boarder and almost never went into the city. It was a shame too because the fine museums, and art institute, waterfront, beaches and parks and zoos were not safe enough to bring my kids to. All places I had spent my childhood roaming around, on foot and taking public transportation. I used to take my kids to the Milwaukee Zoo, museums and Wisconsin Lakes, what a shame. The city is overrun by political corruption at every level and the anti-gun policies have good people bailing out by the thousands. Chicago has instituted some pretty bizzare head taxes which have resulted in many small and large businesses packing up and moving out. Likewise Cook County has a gasoline tax adding about a nickel a gallon to politicians pockets. I used to drive over the border to fill up. We still keep a house in central Il. because our kids and grandkids are still there. They too opted for a safer life in small farming towns where crime and drugs are not as bad as the city of Chicago, but jobs have always been higher paying than many other states and many commute to the city just to work.
    If you consider your calling more of a missionary nature you must go where your heart tells you, but if you have knowledge and skills that you would teach to willing young minds, don't even think about going to Chicago. The schools are holding pens where the inmates go until they are old enough to be in prison. They will dare you to try and teach them anything and, unlike the old days it is legally and politically incorrect to do anything about it. I find it hard to believe God wants you to dedicate your life to beating your head against a brick wall.

Quote Originally Posted by hengst View Post
    So everyone is assuming God is leading the op to Chicogo because a job was offered ? Interesting...So everytime I get an offer I will take it because it is Gods will...really people...Pray about it maybe a little help in the discernment department would be nice...of course if you get another job offer say in Florida or Texas then Chicago wasn't God's will ..right?
    I tend to be a fairly religious person, and I have to agree with hengst. I don't think you'll have to look long or far to find a job in youth ministry, and save Chicago for the ministers who don't believe in guns or that the lord expects one to protect themselves.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Anyone else see the humor in recommending that a person stay away who is offering what the place REALLY needs?

I lived in Chicago area and it's good and bad just like most places.

Maybe the OP is the one who will keep a light burning where one is flickering now.

No matter where he travels, he never travels alone so there truly is strength in numbers.

Even in Chicago.
    Great thought in the midst of many great thoughts. I'll be praying God's will for your life.
    Nothing more...
    Nothing less...
    Nothing else!!
    For a man interested only in passin' through, he suddenly found himself entangled in a deadly struggle….

ad utrumque paratus

the caal to a church job may or may not reflect the call of God. And as exciting as the first job offer to come in may be, it may or may not be the job for you. Discernment will require a lot of work; may I suggest study (of discernment and of the position), seek wise cousel of trusted advisors, pray with diligence, listen (a LOT). Then make the best decision you can, trust God, and don't look back.
    I will pray for your process.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    This is not a question that anyone can answer for you.

This is a question you have to answer for yourself. How you arrive at the answer is up to you as well.

It can be through prayer, discussion and advice, but ultimately the decision will be your's and your's alone. I'm not a religious man, but there are many here that are, even some that are pastors.

If you do not know how important your Second Amendments Rights are to you at this stage of the game, then maybe they aren't that important to you. I can tell you, as an athiest, that they are very important to me. I am a one issue voter and have been since I first voted for Ronald Reagan. I can also tell you that I have been led to some places, call it a calling if you wish, where I never thought I would ever go.

Not to derail the thread, but if a man wants to know how to live his life he could do a lot worse than studying the lessons in the Bible. I sense a certain trepidation on your part with going to Chicago. That's OK, I have trepidation too, and I can go armed throughout that city.

I won't presume to tell you what to do, as it's not my place. If this is just a "job" and the Second Amendment is important to you I can't help but think you would be miserable in that city. If on the other hand the Second Amendment is "nice" but not essential to you, I think you may have some fun there. It will be what you make of it.

It's your decision to make, and your's alone. While it is right to seek counsel of others, I question if this is the appropriate forum for doing so? The reason I say that is you seem to be unsure of where you stand on the Second Amendment. Asking others how important it is speaks to me of a man that has not fully matured yet and is unable or unwilling to make his own decisions.

If this offends, rest assured that is not my intent. It is merely to provide some food for thought. Take care and stay safe,

Biker

PS: Let me just add, sometimes the things I didn't want to do turned out to be the best things I ever did as long as I approached them with an open mind.
    The best answer I have seen yet.

What Grantspastor said. Exactly.
    " In theory, reality and theory are the same. In reality, they are not."

GLOCK G23, KAHR CW9, RUGER LCP, TAURUS PT92, TAURUS 689, MOSSY 500

NRA member

If it is God's will for you to be in Chicago there is nothing you will be able to do to change His mind. You may want to be sure before you go all in with it being God's will. Pray and listen to what God has to say about it. if we use the story of Jonah as an example you will note that he had a very hard time during his disobedience. test it out see what God has to say about it.
    Proofread before you post!!! A reminder to me.

Cool

Some darn nice postings here.

Could it be that Chicago is where you can do the most good in His name?

A god fearing and gun fearing man or woman should be able to ask this kind of question in a forum like this, it does pertain. To the OP, Im not a religious man, However I am a god fearing man...Stay your course and wait for what fells right, it will appear to you, I promise you that.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

God vs 2A

I have many missionary friends in places where they cannot own guns, including some very dangerous areas. If we decide where to go simply on if we can carry a gun, then our priorities are skewed. I'm glad God called me to Texas, but if He was to call me somewhere less 2A friendly, then I would have to go (I just hope He doesn't ).
    Either way, Jesus said "Seek ye FIRST the kingdom of God"
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
    - G. K. Chesterton

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links