Taking a church in Chicago

This is a discussion on Taking a church in Chicago within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; All right, here's the scoop. I'm about to graduate college and I've been looking for youth ministry positions in several areas. Wife just got a ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Taking a church in Chicago

Taking a church in Chicago

All right, here's the scoop. I'm about to graduate college and I've been looking for youth ministry positions in several areas. Wife just got a call this morning from a pastor in Chicago who got a hold of my name. Everything sounds great and it could be a good fit (regarding ministry, beliefs, etc) except that it's in Chicago.

So, how important are my 2A rights compared to answering the call to go and serve in a church stuck in the middle of my least favorite city?

Need some advice, as graduation is coming up soon. I know there are plenty of churches that need youth pastors, just trying to weigh my options here.
    XDM 9mm
    Crossbreed Supertuck
    SmartCarry

Psalm 144:1 "Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle"

2. Remove Ads

Proverbs 3:5-6 If God is calling you there He can protect you and your family.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I would honestly look elsewhere. From everything I've seen on the news, everything I read about, and everything I hear about, I'd rather go somewhere else.

The entire state is anti and Chicago just seems even worse. I'm sure there are beautiful parts of the city, but between the weather and the crime, I don't think I could ever live there.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    Proverbs 3:5-6 If God is calling you there He can protect you and your family.

+1. If that is where God is calling you to serve, He has a reason. Chicago may be your Ninevah.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Aside from 2A rights, the place is a dump. Too cold 6 months out of the year. Too hot/humid 6 months out of the year. Total corruption from top to bottom in all forms of government. Forget that place.

IMHO, you are in the wrong place asking for advice. This really needs to be a matter of personal prayer. Listen to the Holy Spirt, I'll also make this a matter of prayer in my personal time!!

Originally Posted by thepierce So, how important are my 2A rights compared to answering the call to go and serve in a church stuck in the middle of my least favorite city

You are bought W/ a price. owned property doesn't have rights. If that's even a question for you you might want to re think the ministry

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    How important is carrying to you compared to your faith?
    Personally I wouldn't even visit Chicago again, much less consider living there. Just a risk I wouldn't take, there are more than enough where I live, and it's legal for me to carry here.
    Give it some serious thought, you may end up with other options.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

So everyone is assuming God is leading the op to Chicogo because a job was offered ? Interesting...So everytime I get an offer I will take it because it is Gods will...really people...Pray about it maybe a little help in the discernment department would be nice...of course if you get another job offer say in Florida or Texas then Chicago wasn't God's will ..right?
    Led By Love Of Country

I might be in a good position to answer your question because I CC and pastor a church. First of all I'd answer the question "is God specifically calling me to this church" or is it simply an opportunity to be employed in the Master's service. I don't see a problem if it is simply an opportunity, without specific direction from the Lord. Most of the recorded working and moving of people in the Book of Acts was simply people responding to the Great Commission wherever they went. In a relative few instances they went or didn't go as a direct result of the Holy Spirit speaking to them. My point? It may be more the exception than the rule to receive a location-specific call. It happens, but not necessarily all the time. If God were specifically speaking to me about serving in a location where I couldn't CC, I would obey the Lord and not give it a second thought. If it were my option, I'd just weigh the pros and cons, and pray about it. If you do that and the job feels good to you, take it. Just remember, the bottom line for ministers of the Gospel is to be a shepherd of God's sheep and not a hireling. The Bible talks about this and says the hireling does not care for the flock...only about his paycheck. Where ever you serve, remember you are serving the Lord Himself by serving His people. Hope this helps...

Given the choice between Pastoring in Oregon where I am, and Chicago, I'd choose Oregon every time. If the Lord said "I'm moving you to Chicago" I'd move to Chicago every time...

Grew up in Chicago from 1950 thru 1994.

It sucked then and sucks even worse now. I wouldn't wish living there on my worst enemy.
    Samwolf

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."

-- Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

Quote Originally Posted by Grantspastor View Post
    I might be in a good position to answer your question because I CC and pastor a church. First of all I'd answer the question "is God specifically calling me to this church" or is it simply an opportunity to be employed in the Master's service. I don't see a problem if it is simply an opportunity, without specific direction from the Lord. Most of the recorded working and moving of people in the Book of Acts was simply people responding to the Great Commission wherever they went. In a relative few instances they went or didn't go as a direct result of the Holy Spirit speaking to them. My point? It may be more the exception than the rule to receive a location-specific call. It happens, but not necessarily all the time. If God were specifically speaking to me about serving in a location where I couldn't CC, I would obey the Lord and not give it a second thought. If it were my option, I'd just weigh the pros and cons, and pray about it. If you do that and the job feels good to you, take it. Just remember, the bottom line for ministers of the Gospel is to be a shepherd of God's sheep and not a hireling. The Bible talks about this and says the hireling does not care for the flock...only about his paycheck. Where ever you serve, remember you are serving the Lord Himself by serving His people. Hope this helps...

Given the choice between Pastoring in Oregon where I am, and Chicago, I'd choose Oregon every time. If the Lord said "I'm moving you to Chicago" I'd move to Chicago every time...
    Well said. The OP also asked this question in his original post: "So, how important are my 2A rights compared to answering the call to go and serve in a church stuck in the middle of my least favorite city?"
    This tells me it is not necessarily a calling to Chicago, but more of a job opportunity based on the questions in his mind. There are many other "job opportunities" in much safer places for the family until you do receive the calling from the Man upstairs. JMO .... I wish you God's blessings and guidance in your decision.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Grantspastor View Post

I agree here. If the Lord is specifically saying go there, then that's what you need to do. A church calling doesn't indicate in and of itself a call to that area. You can only know through your own personal prayer and seeking of God's will.

Answering God's call compared to your desire to carry concealed should be no comparison. If it is, then I think you have other decisions to make.

I like how everyone is telling you that you have problems to deal with because you are comparing God's path with your own.

I say, don't go to Chicago. Say if you go to Chicago because you are following God's will; you have no choice but to be there defenseless (except for God's protection). Then what if something bad happens to your family. That's also God's will? It could be avoided if you just didn't go to Chicago. Before I get flamed, I am not a Godless heathen, lol. I just think God wants to see some common sense sometimes.
    Just my opinion.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Where in Chicago exactly? I lived here for 30 years, there are nice areas and bad ones. I agree the states gun laws are rediculous

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links