CC at Oklahoma City Zoo?

CC at Oklahoma City Zoo?

This is a discussion on CC at Oklahoma City Zoo? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Guys, I've looked all over the place and can't find any information on whether CC is legal at the Oklahoma City Zoo. The official name ...

Thread: CC at Oklahoma City Zoo?

CC at Oklahoma City Zoo?

Guys, I've looked all over the place and can't find any information on whether CC is legal at the Oklahoma City Zoo. The official name of the zoo is "The Oklahoma City Zoological Park and Botanical Garden" and Oklahoma law specifically allows CC in any state, county or local park, with no preemption of state law allowed.

So if it's a park it should be allowed, however I've heard they have signs posted. I know I can't really carry into a building where the government does business with the public, so that would prevent me from carrying into any of the shops.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Good question...I looked at the zoo website, and I didn't see anything related to CC at all....however, I think the property is owned by the city?
    If it is owned by the city, then does that SDA section that states:
    "Any structure, building, or office space which is owned or leased by a city, town, county, state, or federal governmental authority for the purpose of conducting business with the public".

I have no idea, I know that when I go to the airport, I leave my CC in the car, disabled and locked....not sure if that is even legal.
    On the other hand, I wouldn't think of going to the state fair (state fairgrounds) without CC.....sorry paaiyan but I'm worthless and not sure about this either.
    S&W M&P 9c
    Ruger LCR + P (.38)
    Kahr PM9
    Taurus M851 (.38)

Well I finally found out that, contrary to what I thought was the case, the zoo is privately owned, not government owned. They have a posted no guns policy, but that doesn't have the force of law behind it.

No worries Sooner. And as far as leaving your gun in a vehicle the SDA states that no business or other entity can prohibit you from leaving your gun in a locked vehicle while it's parked on any land specifically set aside for vehicles. So if it's a parking lot you can leave your gun in the car. Unless it's an elementary, middle or high school.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I think they should paint all areas where weapons are prohibited bright pink. That way it would be very easy to know where you could and where you couldn't. Take a lot of the guess work out of it.

paaiyan---
    thanks for the update, we probably won't hit the zoo until fall unless it's like below 80 degrees sometime soon, but knowing I can carry is good info.

Question: Can a CC person still leave their CC (gun) locked in the car/truck on gov't property (parking space)? Not talking about schools, I have that down but gov't parking space.....let's say I need to go to the OKC police dept to get a copy of y car accident report.....it's k to leave the 9 n the truck, locked up?
    S&W M&P 9c
    Ruger LCR + P (.38)
    Kahr PM9
    Taurus M851 (.38)

Al far as Oklahoma law is concerned, if it's a parking area you can leave your gun there, with the exception of elementary, middle and high schools.
    My blog

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Guys, I've looked all over the place and can't find any information on whether CC is legal at the Oklahoma City Zoo. The official name of the zoo is "The Oklahoma City Zoological Park and Botanical Garden" and Oklahoma law specifically allows CC in any state, county or local park, with no preemption of state law allowed.

So if it's a park it should be allowed, however I've heard they have signs posted. I know I can't really carry into a building where the government does business with the public, so that would prevent me from carrying into any of the shops.
    Yes they do have signs posted. I contacted the OKC ZOO today and they are owned by the City of OKC and are funded by Public Taxes. So that makes them a City Structure for the purpose of conducting business with the public.

Here is exactly what the law states:
    TITLE 21 § 1277. Unlawful carry in certain places
    UNLAWFUL CARRY IN CERTAIN PLACES
    A. It shall be unlawful for any person in possession of a valid concealed handgun license issued pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to carry any concealed handgun into any of the following places:
    1. Any structure, building, or office space which is owned or leased by a city, town, county, state, or federal governmental authority for the purpose of conducting business with the public;

So from what I see it would unlawfull to carry a concealed gun into the ZOO.

As for the Parking situation here is what the law states.

B. For purposes of paragraphs 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6 of subsection A of this section, the prohibited place does not include and specifically excludes the following property:
    1. Any property set aside for the use of any vehicle, whether attended or unattended, by a city, town, county, state, or federal governmental authority,
    2. Any property set aside for the use of any vehicle, whether attended or unattended, by any entity offering any professional sporting event which is open to the public for admission, or by any entity engaged in pari-mutuel wagering authorized by law,
    3. Any property adjacent to a structure, building, or office space in which concealed weapons are prohibited by the provisions of this section, and
    4 Any property designated by a city, town, county, or state, governmental authority as a park, recreational area, or fairgrounds; provided nothing in this paragraph shall be construed to authorize any entry by a person in possession of a concealed handgun into any structure, building, or office space which is specifically prohibited by the provisions of subsection A of this section.

So you can take your CC Weapon on your trip to the ZOO and legally leave it in your vehicle in the ZOO (OKC City) parking lot.

Link to the Oklahoma Defense Act PDF.
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...fZSi--qc5sdPug

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hailofaguy View Post
    Yes they do have signs posted. I contacted the OKC ZOO today and they are owned by the City of OKC and are funded by Public Taxes. So that makes them a City Structure for the purpose of conducting business with the public.

Here is exactly what the law states:
    TITLE 21 § 1277. Unlawful carry in certain places
    UNLAWFUL CARRY IN CERTAIN PLACES
    A. It shall be unlawful for any person in possession of a valid concealed handgun license issued pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to carry any concealed handgun into any of the following places:
    1. Any structure, building, or office space which is owned or leased by a city, town, county, state, or federal governmental authority for the purpose of conducting business with the public;

So from what I see it would unlawfull to carry a concealed gun into the ZOO.

As for the Parking situation here is what the law states.

B. For purposes of paragraphs 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6 of subsection A of this section, the prohibited place does not include and specifically excludes the following property:
    1. Any property set aside for the use of any vehicle, whether attended or unattended, by a city, town, county, state, or federal governmental authority,
    2. Any property set aside for the use of any vehicle, whether attended or unattended, by any entity offering any professional sporting event which is open to the public for admission, or by any entity engaged in pari-mutuel wagering authorized by law,
    3. Any property adjacent to a structure, building, or office space in which concealed weapons are prohibited by the provisions of this section, and
    4 Any property designated by a city, town, county, or state, governmental authority as a park, recreational area, or fairgrounds; provided nothing in this paragraph shall be construed to authorize any entry by a person in possession of a concealed handgun into any structure, building, or office space which is specifically prohibited by the provisions of subsection A of this section.

So you can take your CC Weapon on your trip to the ZOO and legally leave it in your vehicle in the ZOO (OKC City) parking lot.

Link to the Oklahoma Defense Act PDF.
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...fZSi--qc5sdPug
    To me, any structure, building or office space refers to buildings; as such the Zoo should be just like the state fair, that is, you are good to go to carry there so long as you enter no buildings.
    (I will concede that for the Zoo, that is more of a restriction than for the state fair).
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

I knew I would find my answer here. Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Well I finally found out that, contrary to what I thought was the case, the zoo is privately owned, not government owned. They have a posted no guns policy, but that doesn't have the force of law behind it.
    Paaiya. You may want to verify that last statement. I read through our, Oklahoma's, sda and it says fairly clearly that those signs do carry the force of law in OK. But they can't prevent you from keeping it locked in a vehicle in any area reserved for public parking.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Maso View Post
    Paaiya. You may want to verify that last statement. I read through our, Oklahoma's, sda and it says fairly clearly that those signs do carry the force of law in OK. But they can't prevent you from keeping it locked in a vehicle in any area reserved for public parking.

Oooold thread, but here goes. The statutes say that businesses can control the presence of weapons on the premises, however unlike every other provision it does not specify a punishment for carrying against the wishes of a plastic sign. In every other section that specifies the how, what, when etc. of carrying, it provides a specified punishment for doing anything contrary to the letter of the law. The specification that owners can control the presence of weapons is not a legal ban against breaking a businesses rules, it's just there to say they have the right to make rules. A sign carries no more legal weight than a sign at a movie theater barring outside food and drinks. I can quote statutes if you like.
    My blog

Old, yeah it came up under most recent listing cause someone else posted before I did. Oh well.

It says in the SDA that the carry law does not overrule the right of a business to restrict guns inside their premises. But you're right it also doesn't call for a punishment. I've read several other places that it amounts to trespassing. Maybe a small fine if it even goes that far, but in terms for following the law, it does extend to the signs.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links