Oops, forgot my wallet. - Page 2

Oops, forgot my wallet.

This is a discussion on Oops, forgot my wallet. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In Michigan: (1) An individual who is licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol shall have his or her license to carry that ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oops, forgot my wallet.

In Michigan:

(1) An individual who is licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol shall have his or her license to carry that pistol in his or her possession at all times he or she is carrying a concealed pistol.

(7) A pistol carried in violation of this section is subject to immediate seizure by a peace officer. If a peace officer seizes a pistol under this subsection, the individual has 45 days in which to display his or her license or documentation to an authorized employee of the law enforcement entity that employs the peace officer. If the individual displays his or her license or documentation to an authorized employee of the law enforcement entity that employs the peace officer within the 45-day period, the authorized employee of that law enforcement entity shall return the pistol to the individual unless the individual is prohibited by law from possessing a firearm. If the individual does not display his or her license or documentation within the 45-day period, the pistol is subject to forfeiture as provided in section 5g. A pistol is not subject to immediate seizure under this subsection if both of the following circumstances exist:

(a) The individual has his or her driver license or Michigan personal identification card in his or her possession when the violation occurs.

(b) The peace officer verifies through the law enforcement information network that the individual is licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol.

:::::So if you have your DL and the officer wants to verify through LEIN that you do have a permit, you get to keep your gun, otherwise you have 45 days to prove you had a valid permit and retrieve your gun.
    They can fine you $100 for not having the permit, it's a civil infraction. However failure to notify can cost you $500 and a six month suspension of your CPL. The second offense is $1000 fine and loss of CPL.

This is copied from the Colorado Statutes and should answer the OP's question as his location is showing as Denver:

(2) (a) A PERMITTEE, IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE TERMS OF A PERMIT,
    MAY CARRY A CONCEALED HANDGUN AS ALLOWED BY STATE LAW. THE
    PERMITTEE SHALL CARRY THE PERMIT, TOGETHER WITH VALID PHOTO
    IDENTIFICATION, AT ALL TIMES DURING WHICH THE PERMITTEE IS IN ACTUAL
    POSSESSION OF A CONCEALED HANDGUN AND SHALL PRODUCE BOTH
    DOCUMENTS UPON DEMAND BY A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER. FAILURE TO
    PRODUCE A PERMIT UPON DEMAND BY A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER RAISES
    A REBUTTABLE PRESUMPTION THAT THE PERSON DOES NOT HAVE A PERMIT.
    FAILURE TO CARRY AND PRODUCE A PERMIT AND VALID PHOTO
    IDENTIFICATION UPON DEMAND AS REQUIRED IN THIS SUBSECTION (2) IS A
    CLASS 1 PETTY OFFENSE. A CHARGE OF FAILURE TO CARRY AND PRODUCE A
    PERMIT AND VALID PHOTO IDENTIFICATION UPON DEMAND PURSUANT TO THIS
    SUBSECTION (2) SHALL BE DISMISSED BY THE COURT IF, AT OR BEFORE THE
    PERMITTEE'S SCHEDULED COURT APPEARANCE, THE PERMITTEE EXHIBITS TO
    THE COURT A VALID PERMIT AND VALID PHOTO IDENTIFICATION, BOTH OF
    WHICH WERE ISSUED TO THE PERMITTEE PRIOR TO THE DATE ON WHICH THE
    PERMITTEE WAS CHARGED WITH FAILURE TO CARRY AND PRODUCE A PERMIT
    AND VALID PHOTO IDENTIFICATION UPON DEMAND.

You Jinxed me,this morning I went to Walmart and when I went to pay,no wallet,had my 1911 tho,thank god I carry SHTF money hidden in my jeep
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by djz87 View Post
    It got me thinking. What would happen had i been, for whatever reason, approached by a LEO before disarming. Would it be just as simple as him running my name, and me answering all of his questions about my identity? Or would i have been at risk of being arrested for not having my permit on my persons?
    Mainly depends on where you live (i.e. what state AND, if applicable, the disposition of the local cops...county, city, etc).

They could arrest you, but that would be ridiculous. I've asked this question before. Last I checked, it was a $35 dollar fine in Connecticut. Just an "infraction", like a parking ticket. Depending on the officer, you might have had the firearm confiscated until you could get down to the police station with your permit and pick it up. But, that would be kind of a dick move since they could look it up on the computer in their police cruiser and pull it up, complete with picture. I could see them confiscating it if you were on foot and had no car nearby to unload and/or secure it, however.

At any rate, it (in my opinion) shouldn't be a big deal. You still "have" the permit...just not on your person at the time. There was no "intent to break the law".

Failure to produce a permit upon demand by a law enforcement officer raises a rebuttable presumption that the person does not have a permit. Failure to carry and produce a permit and valid photo identification upon demand as required in this subsection (2) is a class 1 petty offense. A charge of failure to carry and produce a permit and valid photo identification upon demand pursuant to this subsection (2) shall be dismissed by the court if, at or before the permittee's scheduled court appearance, the permittee exhibits to the court a valid permit and valid photo identification, both of which were issued to the permittee prior to the date on which the permittee was charged with failure to carry and produce a permit and valid photo identification upon demand.

Colorado is a no duty to inform state

Its a good thing that texas doesn't spank you too hard for carrying without license in possession anymore,I never leave home without my wallet,maybe I'll make a holster with a slot for my CHL that way I always got it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Luckily in Texas you don't need a permit to conceal in your car. Just get to your car, and hide it in there.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Permit is required here to concealed carry or carry in a vehicle. Violation is a misdemeanor.

If I were to not have my permit on my person, I would immediately switch to open carry (legal without permit unless in a vehicle) or disarm and return home/lock up.

There is no sense playing with fire.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

I spoke with a Sgt. today at my local PD and he stated a copy of my D/L as well as my permit should suffice if I ever lost my wallet or forgot it but what was interesting and I'm glad I called was that they did not have me in the computer system as having a valid concealed firearms permit but I am in the system now and it will show up during a traffic stop which makes me feel better.

I thought it would have been automatically added as I am sure most people do, so you might want to contact your local PD to find out if you are in the system to be on the safe side.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links