Defensive Carry banner

Oops, forgot my wallet.

7K views 23 replies 21 participants last post by  WhoWeBePart1 
#1 ·
This morning it seems i must have zoned out, and completely forgot my wallet.

Not knowing this, i went to grab my lunch, and when it came time to pay, reached in the back pocket, and realized it was not there. I usually carry an extra 50bucks in my car, but i had just removed it when i took it in for service.

I was able to borrow a few bucks from a co-worker to cover the tab, but when i got outside I immediately disarmed, and locked my Glock in my trunk.

It got me thinking. What would happen had i been, for whatever reason, approached by a LEO before disarming. Would it be just as simple as him running my name, and me answering all of his questions about my identity? Or would i have been at risk of being arrested for not having my permit on my persons?

#2 ·
Do not kow CO law but in KS it would have been an arrest for carrying a concealed weapon (depending on the LEO and the community you were in). KS says you must have 1) your DL and 2) your permit to carry. Now, for some in KS the DL and the Permit are one and the same document in that you have your choice of either an endorcement on you DL/ID card or a separate card. And you would probably lose your permit to CC. by the way; it must have been in the air, water or coffee; I did the same thing --- got to work and no billfold only difference is I can not carry at work so I only drove without a DL.

#3 ·
In some states not having your license/permit on hand is a misdemeanor with a minor fine...Even as they can look you up.
Same as being required to have your motorvehicle operators license/permit on hand when stopped.

In other states regardless of can they look you up or not ability you would find yourself arrested for unlawful carry, your firearm, mags & ammo confiscated by the state (good luck getting that back!), your license/permit immediately suspended/revoked (!)...and you find your name if not picture detailed in the newspaper and on community websites as being a gun crime arrest.

I've done this twice in roughly 8 yrs. Completely strange both times.
Most recent being 2 months ago during a late night run to see a movie...I get to the theater door and immediately realize OMG my wallet is not poking me in the bum!

I turned on heel and drive straight home in the right lane like Morgan Freeman with Ms. Daisy behind me.
My saving grace...In MA informing an officer upon a stop is not mandated by statute. But if he happens to look me up and come back to ask for ID and am I carrying and I lie only to be found out later that I am carrying...Problems.

Try hard not to do this even as it can and does at times happen.

- Janq

#4 ·
I keep a copy of my permit as well as a copy of my driver's license in my glove box with my registration/insurance card just in case this ever happens to me. I know a scanned copy printed out is not valid but I feel better knowing I have something to at least prove who I am as my permit does contain my picture.

BTW, in Maine you still would be breaking the law with the gun locked in your trunk if you do not have a valid permit. In Maine one should unload the weapon and leave it in plain view on the seat as the weapon is now no longer concealed and I am not saying leave it in plain view when you are not in the car. Lock it up then. But once driving unload and leave it on the seat in plain view and you will be fine. No permit is needed to carry a weapon in your vehicle as long as it is unloaded and in plain view.

#8 ·
I keep a copy of my permit as well as a copy of my driver's license in my glove box with my registration/insurance card just in case this ever happens to me. I know a scanned copy printed out is not valid but I feel better knowing I have something to at least prove who I am as my permit does contain my picture.

Are you sure its not valid? In PA the paper version of our license is about the size of an index card, and we are told we can copy/reduce it to more manageable size.

As to not having license on you while carrying, in PA it might get you arrested but as long as you present the license at the prelim hearing charges will be dropped.

#5 ·
Were you in or out of the City of Denver?
That can make a big difference.
The way I see it, you are not legal to carry concealed if you do not have your permit ON you. Now you may get off with a slap on the hand by a kind judge, but I don't know.
I'll tell ya, I have never been so obsessed with making sure I have my wallet , since I started carrying.

My wife is almost always leaving her purse (& wallet) somewhere. So I rigged her holster to also carry her permit. Now if she has her gun (in holster,) she has her permit too.
She may not have her purse, wallet, DL, credit cards, or cash, but she'll have that permit by golly!

And, she NEVER carries in her purse. It is IWB, or holster & all in a pocket. She's a smart girl that way.

#6 ·
It got me thinking. What would happen had i been, for whatever reason, approached by a LEO before disarming. Would it be just as simple as him running my name, and me answering all of his questions about my identity?
You need to know your state's laws.

In Oregon, the statutes and the CHL card specifically state that failure to have the CHL card with you on your person when you're carrying concealed is "prima facie evidence" of the crime of illegally concealing a firearm. In Oregon, you're a criminal if you forget your wallet, despite them damned well knowing you're licensed and KNOWN to have a license. Being an upstanding citizen, you're not a felon and you have no record of being a felon. And you're not doing anything worthy of being arrested. It's all absurd. But, it's in the statutes, and it's reality. At least here.

#7 ·
I keep my wallet, car keys, and weapon together on the night stand next to my bed. When I pick one of them up, I pick them all up.:yup:

#10 · (Edited)
This is from Oklahoma's SDA law:

http://www.ok.gov/osbi/Concealed_Weapons_Licensing/index.html

The person shall be required to have possession of his or her valid handgun license and a valid Oklahoma driver license or an Oklahoma State photo identification at all times when in possession of an authorized pistol. Any violation of the provisions of this subsection may be punishable as a criminal offense as authorized by Section 1272 of this title or pursuant to any other applicable provision of law.
In addition to any criminal prosecution which may result from not carrying the handgun license and the required identification with the authorized pistol as required by the provisions of this subsection, the person may be subject to an administrative fine for violation of the provisions of this subsection.
The administrative fine shall be Fifty Dollars ($50.00) and shall be assessed by the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation after a hearing and determination that the licensee is in violation of the provisions of this subsection.
Any second or subsequent violation of the provisions of this subsection shall be grounds for the Bureau to suspend the handgun license for a period of six (6) months, in addition to any other penalty imposed.
Upon the arrest of any person for a violation of the provisions of this subsection, the person may show proof to the court that a valid handgun license and the other required identification has been issued to such person and the person may state any reason why the handgun license or the other required identification was not carried by the person as required by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act. The court shall dismiss an alleged violation of Section 1272 of this title upon payment of court costs, if proof of a valid handgun license and other required identification is shown to the court within ten (10) days of the arrest of the person. The court shall report a dismissal of a charge to the Bureau for consideration of administrative proceedings against the licensee.

Sorry, it's kinda long to read.

#11 ·
I headed off to the beach (FL) last week with my XD40sc packed in my camera bag. Once we got there I realised that I forgot my DL and UT CFP card. I told my bro in law who also has his UT CFP. He had me stick his wallet in my bag. THe beaches were packed so I wasn't worried so much about an attack during our visit to the beach.. But this is what we came up with to atleast have it with us for protection for the family. It stayed hidden, and was not called upon.

I haven't yet forgotten my wallet in an everyday setting in the 2 months or so that i've had my CFP (recent example was while on vacation)... But if when I do forget it i'd just leave it in my truck somewhere.

#12 ·
I did the same thing last week. I left my store for a coffee break and when I went to pay for my triple espresso at the Starbucks around the corner, I had the panic of "oh crap, no permit on me" as I had left my wallet on my work bench. Fortunately, I had enough change in my truck to cover the tab and doubly fortunate that I had no issues heading back to my store.

I think I'm definitely going to put a copy of my permit with my insurance info. It might not help if the situation arises again, but I don't see any way it could hurt.

#13 ·
I did the same thing one day. Immediately unloaded and placed my pistol in the lock box cabled to the seat frame.
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

#14 ·
In Utah there is no law that requires one to produce a permit, or even have it in your possession, just that one has been issued a permit.

76-10-523. Persons exempt from weapons laws.
(2) The provisions of Subsections 76-10-504(1) and (2), and Section 76-10-505 do not apply to any person to whom a permit to carry a concealed firearm has been issued:
(a) pursuant to Section 53-5-704; or
(b) by another state or county.
I have been thinking of leaving my permit at home, locked up with all of those evil credit cards.

#15 ·
My state is pretty sensible...the card is simply tangible proof of my legal carry status, and if it's missing from my person I'm not tossed in the dungeon...kinda like a drivers license.

#16 ·
In Michigan:

(1) An individual who is licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol shall have his or her license to carry that pistol in his or her possession at all times he or she is carrying a concealed pistol.

(7) A pistol carried in violation of this section is subject to immediate seizure by a peace officer. If a peace officer seizes a pistol under this subsection, the individual has 45 days in which to display his or her license or documentation to an authorized employee of the law enforcement entity that employs the peace officer. If the individual displays his or her license or documentation to an authorized employee of the law enforcement entity that employs the peace officer within the 45-day period, the authorized employee of that law enforcement entity shall return the pistol to the individual unless the individual is prohibited by law from possessing a firearm. If the individual does not display his or her license or documentation within the 45-day period, the pistol is subject to forfeiture as provided in section 5g. A pistol is not subject to immediate seizure under this subsection if both of the following circumstances exist:

(a) The individual has his or her driver license or Michigan personal identification card in his or her possession when the violation occurs.

(b) The peace officer verifies through the law enforcement information network that the individual is licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol.

:::::So if you have your DL and the officer wants to verify through LEIN that you do have a permit, you get to keep your gun, otherwise you have 45 days to prove you had a valid permit and retrieve your gun.
They can fine you $100 for not having the permit, it's a civil infraction. However failure to notify can cost you $500 and a six month suspension of your CPL. The second offense is $1000 fine and loss of CPL.

#17 ·
This is copied from the Colorado Statutes and should answer the OP's question as his location is showing as Denver:

(2) (a) A PERMITTEE, IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE TERMS OF A PERMIT,
MAY CARRY A CONCEALED HANDGUN AS ALLOWED BY STATE LAW. THE
PERMITTEE SHALL CARRY THE PERMIT, TOGETHER WITH VALID PHOTO
IDENTIFICATION, AT ALL TIMES DURING WHICH THE PERMITTEE IS IN ACTUAL
POSSESSION OF A CONCEALED HANDGUN AND SHALL PRODUCE BOTH
DOCUMENTS UPON DEMAND BY A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER. FAILURE TO
PRODUCE A PERMIT UPON DEMAND BY A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER RAISES
A REBUTTABLE PRESUMPTION THAT THE PERSON DOES NOT HAVE A PERMIT.
FAILURE TO CARRY AND PRODUCE A PERMIT AND VALID PHOTO
IDENTIFICATION UPON DEMAND AS REQUIRED IN THIS SUBSECTION (2) IS A
CLASS 1 PETTY OFFENSE. A CHARGE OF FAILURE TO CARRY AND PRODUCE A
PERMIT AND VALID PHOTO IDENTIFICATION UPON DEMAND PURSUANT TO THIS
SUBSECTION (2) SHALL BE DISMISSED BY THE COURT IF, AT OR BEFORE THE
PERMITTEE'S SCHEDULED COURT APPEARANCE, THE PERMITTEE EXHIBITS TO
THE COURT A VALID PERMIT AND VALID PHOTO IDENTIFICATION, BOTH OF
WHICH WERE ISSUED TO THE PERMITTEE PRIOR TO THE DATE ON WHICH THE
PERMITTEE WAS CHARGED WITH FAILURE TO CARRY AND PRODUCE A PERMIT
AND VALID PHOTO IDENTIFICATION UPON DEMAND.

#18 ·
You Jinxed me,this morning I went to Walmart and when I went to pay,no wallet,had my 1911 tho,thank god I carry SHTF money hidden in my jeep

#19 ·
It got me thinking. What would happen had i been, for whatever reason, approached by a LEO before disarming. Would it be just as simple as him running my name, and me answering all of his questions about my identity? Or would i have been at risk of being arrested for not having my permit on my persons?
Mainly depends on where you live (i.e. what state AND, if applicable, the disposition of the local cops...county, city, etc).

They could arrest you, but that would be ridiculous. I've asked this question before. Last I checked, it was a $35 dollar fine in Connecticut. Just an "infraction", like a parking ticket. Depending on the officer, you might have had the firearm confiscated until you could get down to the police station with your permit and pick it up. But, that would be kind of a dick move since they could look it up on the computer in their police cruiser and pull it up, complete with picture. I could see them confiscating it if you were on foot and had no car nearby to unload and/or secure it, however.

At any rate, it (in my opinion) shouldn't be a big deal. You still "have" the permit...just not on your person at the time. There was no "intent to break the law".

#20 ·
Failure to produce a permit upon demand by a law enforcement officer raises a rebuttable presumption that the person does not have a permit. Failure to carry and produce a permit and valid photo identification upon demand as required in this subsection (2) is a class 1 petty offense. A charge of failure to carry and produce a permit and valid photo identification upon demand pursuant to this subsection (2) shall be dismissed by the court if, at or before the permittee's scheduled court appearance, the permittee exhibits to the court a valid permit and valid photo identification, both of which were issued to the permittee prior to the date on which the permittee was charged with failure to carry and produce a permit and valid photo identification upon demand.

Colorado is a no duty to inform state

#21 ·
Its a good thing that texas doesn't spank you too hard for carrying without license in possession anymore,I never leave home without my wallet,maybe I'll make a holster with a slot for my CHL that way I always got it

#23 ·
Permit is required here to concealed carry or carry in a vehicle. Violation is a misdemeanor.

If I were to not have my permit on my person, I would immediately switch to open carry (legal without permit unless in a vehicle) or disarm and return home/lock up.

There is no sense playing with fire.

#24 ·
I spoke with a Sgt. today at my local PD and he stated a copy of my D/L as well as my permit should suffice if I ever lost my wallet or forgot it but what was interesting and I'm glad I called was that they did not have me in the computer system as having a valid concealed firearms permit but I am in the system now and it will show up during a traffic stop which makes me feel better.

I thought it would have been automatically added as I am sure most people do, so you might want to contact your local PD to find out if you are in the system to be on the safe side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.