When seconds count, the police are minutes away...

This is a discussion on When seconds count, the police are minutes away... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I'm curious how many of us out there have actually been in a situation where drawing your concealed weapon was necessary. Preparedness and practice ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When seconds count, the police are minutes away...

When seconds count, the police are minutes away...

So, I'm curious how many of us out there have actually been in a situation where drawing your concealed weapon was necessary. Preparedness and practice should go hand in hand, and I just want to see if anyone would like to tell about a moment when all the time and effort to be ready paid off. Thanks!
    "Eternal Vigilance is the Price of Liberty"
    -Wendell Phillips

“Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap nor easy conquest.”
    -The Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775

2. Remove Ads

There are plenty of posts on here where people had to draw, and I'd think that for the most part the people willing to discuss those situations have posted them. A lot of people will not want to talk about it for personal or legal reasons. I'm sure a quick search would turn up some results for you though.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Here is a fairly good discussion from a couple years back: Have You Ever Been a Victim?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The only time I have needed a weapon for SD was as an active LEO, and also while in Vietnam. I do my best to stay away from trouble and with the training I have had in life, I've been successful so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    The only time I have needed a weapon for SD was as an active LEO, and also while in Vietnam. I do my best to stay away from trouble and with the training I have had in life, I've been successful so far.
    My hats off to you! I am 36 and have worked as a security guard (not currently) and have never had to draw. I pray that I have the same luck as you in life!
    If Guns kill people then all of mine are defective!
    My idea of gun control is using BOTH hands!

Permits in: ND (resident), CT, UT, FL, AZ & MN
    North Dakota Concealed Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

The one time I had to use a firearm to defend myself, I used an HK93A3 to stop somebody from running a friend and me off of the interstate late at night while driving between Jefferson Barracks, St. Louis and Fort Knox in '84. The guy cut us off, then slowed down while weaving from side to side so that we couldn't pass him. I'm pretty sure it was a carjacking attempt, possibly by serial killer Alton Coleman who was active in Illinois, Indiana and Ohio (among others) at the time. The sight of the HK93A3 pointed at him through the windshield got him moving away from us at a high rate of speed.

My wife did not pull hers, but she was teaching a aerobics class a guy came in, and started grabbing purses. The 2nd instructor screamed "Joan get your gun". The guy threw everything down and ran. She set on hold with 911 for over 14 miuntes listening to a recording saying do not hang up as it will only delay our reponse time. 31 miuntes later the cop shows up.
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I am one of those police who are minutes away. I have interviewed plenty of people who needed a gun, and did not have one, whether for self-defense, or defense of a third party.

On my own time, off the clock, I have never "needed" a gun, thus far, in that I have never had to draw and present a firearm. OTOH, I tend to dress like I am carrying a gun, at least some of the time, and have given a few of "that kind of people" a certain "look" that police officers give to "that kind of people." An armed citizen might have had to present a firearm in a similar situation.

I did deploy and hold a handgun, my duty 1911 at the time, when boating. An inattentive poacher, with his eye on a bird, fired a shot right across the front of my bow. He then saw me, was then so busy trying to run away, he probably never saw my weapon come into view. I did not try to arrest him, but wanted to be ready in case he decided to turn around and eliminate witnesses. He did not turn around, so I did not "need" the gun.

I have discreetly drawn and held a handgun several times, when out of uniform, on my own time, when I saw a trouble stirring between other folks, such as road rage, and felt a need to be ready to intervene. This is probably not something an armed private citizen would feel compelled to do, most of the time.

On duty, and/or in uniform, well, I won't go there, as it is not in the realm of concealed carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Thank you for your service, both as an LEO and as a Vietnam Veteran. Our freedom comes at a high price paid on our behalf by the sacrifices of LEO, Veterans, and Military personnel and their families. My gratitude to all of you I can't truly express with words.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Late night attack

It was late and very dark in the alley behind my house when I was attacked from behind. Let me explain.
    I was taking out the trash late one night. Because the alley behind my house looks out on a row of warehouses, I always clip my holster with one of my handguns. This night it was my 38spl. I made a couple of trips out the back door, getting the trash down to the alley and as I was heading back to the door, I heard a crash behind me. Without thinking about it, I spun around, drawing my little Rossi, only to see the noise was a garbage can falling over!!!
    No BG jumping out of the bushes, no wandering pitbull leaping for my throat, just trashbags rolling around.
    It must have taken 10 min for my heart to return to normal. That bag will never attack me again!
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
    - G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    The one time I had to use a firearm to defend myself, I used an HK93A3 to stop somebody from running a friend and me off of the interstate late at night while driving between Jefferson Barracks, St. Louis and Fort Knox in '84. The guy cut us off, then slowed down while weaving from side to side so that we couldn't pass him. I'm pretty sure it was a carjacking attempt, possibly by serial killer Alton Coleman who was active in Illinois, Indiana and Ohio (among others) at the time. The sight of the HK93A3 pointed at him through the windshield got him moving away from us at a high rate of speed.

A bit off topic, but your post brings back memories of the hysteria during that whole Alton Coleman manhunt...he was a ruthless killer!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Drawn twice - once from open carry as a security officer against a man with a shotgun, once from concealed carry as a private citizen against two robbers (weapons unknown). Did not need to shoot either time.

As a side note, I want to clarify that I do not mean any offense by the thread's title. It's just a saying that my father-in-law has always said, and it's stuck with me. I am continually thankful for all of those who serve or have served in any capacity. Those who have sacrificed in any amount have made this country stand head and shoulders among the rest.
    "Eternal Vigilance is the Price of Liberty"
    -Wendell Phillips

“Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap nor easy conquest.”
    -The Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775

i witnessed a 13 year old girl murdered....i called the police it was a few minutes till the police got there....when i ran over the guy with gun was still shooting at a passing car which he missed and hit her... :(
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Police are human too. Most of them agree that the good guy should be armed too. The officer's job is to serve and protect the community he/she is serving.

The saying is not meant to offend LEO it is to wake people up into realizing that police can't be right there in an instant and to think they can is asinine.

Whether or not the officer is there to protect you the individual is actually completely up to the officer. Many people don't know that police have no obligation to protect you. It is up to them and probably most officers would actually be willing to, it only takes one that isn't.

On a side note to law enforcement, Thank you for your service. Every day you do a thankless job that helps society move along their sheepish lives.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links