The Search For Mediocrity

This is a discussion on The Search For Mediocrity within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Received in an e-mail this morning from a friend. There are many hard to deny aspects to the content that ring true: The Search For ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Search For Mediocrity

Received in an e-mail this morning from a friend. There are many hard to deny aspects to the content that ring true:

I want to introduce you to John Smith. John Smith is a private citizen. That means that he is not hampered by political directives at federal, state or local levels. But John thinks he is "just a civilian". John has sought mediocrity his entire life. It is what he was trained for since birth....don't make waves...be a nice guy...you can't do this...you can't do that.

Then John realized he'd better buy a pistol and carry it because his neighbor was robbed, beaten, raped or brutalized, and the police did not come in time for anything but the report.

So he went to the local gunstore and allowed the oversized cigar smoking salesman to patronize him into buying a double action only Smith and Wesson because it had several safeties and a real heavy and long trigger pull. "It was great for a mediocrity-seeking civilian like John", announced the salesman as he wiped doughnut juice on his Police Revolver Club t-shirt.

John asked about the Glocks and XDs and M&Ps that looked so modern and cool. "Oh no...those are for professionals son....you are a civilian...you don't need anything like that". Being a mediocrity seeker, and not wanting to be guilty of the sin of arguing, he bought the Smith and Wesson and went home. He did go to a free handgun clinic at the local range after he passed his CCW class. But he was a civiloian and did not need to go to one of those "commando schools", or learn how to kill things like that ad said. He was a civilian and didn't like carrying a gun in the first place.

So John went on with his life doing his best to avoid bad things, bad places and bad people. But one day, as much as he tried, trouble came to him. He found himself at church when some crazy guy decided today was judgement day and began shooting people. The congregation was also full of mediocrity seekers and those that did not get shot outright, ran away like properly conditioned civilians should.

But John was torn about running with the rest of the herd, or fighting. He drew his pistol and tried to aim it but it felt strange in his hands....after all civilians did not need to train like Delta Force so John spent his free time playing tennis instead. At that moment a round from the terrorist caught his frozen wife in the face and dropped her...as he turned to see her fall three rounds hit him in the chest, two piercing his heart.....and the last thought that he had before he lapsed into blissfull unconscious death was,

"......but I am just a civilian".

2. Remove Ads

That was sad but very true. I have several co-workers that like to tease that i am trying to be Rambo or something. I just explain that I am doing everything that I can to be prepared to protect my self and the ones that I love. I have printed this and I know quite a few people that need to read it.

thanks,

Your friends email you stuff like this...wierd. Edit: I just received the same email from Gabe Suarez, who is trying to sell you his training services :)

This is how most people are, they don't take it too seriously since it'll never happen to them(right?). We all know this....

Most of us don't like carrying a gun in the first place(I would think)...it's extra weight, can be uncomftorable(yet comforting), and you have to dress around it to conceal. Plus you need to learn all of the laws and spend gobs of money on holsters, safes, ammo, etc. But we do it because we see the need where so many others do not. I would love to not carry...but I realize we don't live in utopia and there are bad guys that would love to do all sorts of bad things to me and my family.

Carry on.
    Last edited by youngda9; April 7th, 2010 at 03:42 PM.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

I am sure the guy who sent it to me got it from someplace. He's not that smart to have written it himself...

It was written by Gabe Suarez.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Bandolero my comments aren't in any way against you....

Quote Originally Posted by Bandolero View Post

I want to introduce you to John Smith. John Smith is a private citizen. That means that he is not hampered by political directives at federal, state or local levels. But John thinks he is "just a civilian". John has sought mediocrity his entire life. It is what he was trained for since birth....don't make waves...be a nice guy...you can't do this...you can't do that.
    Then John realized he'd better buy a pistol and carry it because his neighbor was robbed, beaten, raped or brutalized, and the police did not come in time for anything but the report.
    At that moment he realized the world isn't all good he became self aware. No longer did he rely on police to protect him hence he is no longer the "mediocre citizen"

So he went to the local gunstore and allowed the oversized cigar smoking salesman to patronize him into buying a double action only Smith and Wesson because it had several safeties and a real heavy and long trigger pull. "It was great for a mediocrity-seeking civilian like John", announced the salesman as he wiped doughnut juice on his Police Revolver Club t-shirt.
    Really?????? I have never met nor heard of a gun store employee anywhere close to that description.

John asked about the Glocks and XDs and M&Ps that looked so modern and cool. "Oh no...those are for professionals son....you are a civilian...you don't need anything like that". Being a mediocrity seeker, and not wanting to be guilty of the sin of arguing, he bought the Smith and Wesson and went home.
    I have also never met a gun salesman that would object to an opportunity to move a more expensive gun.

He did go to a free handgun clinic at the local range after he passed his CCW class. But he was a civiloian and did not need to go to one of those "commando schools", or learn how to kill things like that ad said. He was a civilian and didn't like carrying a gun in the first place.
    handgun clinic?

So John went on with his life doing his best to avoid bad things, bad places and bad people. But one day, as much as he tried, trouble came to him. He found himself at church when some crazy guy decided today was judgement day and began shooting people. The congregation was also full of mediocrity seekers and those that did not get shot outright, ran away like properly conditioned civilians should.
    AAAaaaahhh I get it....

But John was torn about running with the rest of the herd, or fighting. He drew his pistol and tried to aim it but it felt strange in his hands....after all civilians did not need to train like Delta Force so John spent his free time playing tennis instead. At that moment a round from the terrorist caught his frozen wife in the face and dropped her...as he turned to see her fall three rounds hit him in the chest, two piercing his heart.....and the last thought that he had before he lapsed into blissfull unconscious death was,

"......but I am just a civilian".
    yup... I knew it... Moral of the story be a good sheep and don't play with guns.

I can't get over how the email had a distinct but undeniable anti gun/carry smell to it.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

So true about many CCers. People train, train, train, then do more training.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

At Christmas time I was talking to my cousin in Chicago. Even though she knows I utterly despise Chicago, she periodically tries to talk me into moving back there.

Learning about the almost certain loss of Chicago in the McDonald suit, she opined that I could now move back to Chicago. I pointed out that I still couldn't carry there or anywhere else in Illinois, regardless of the handgun ban. She replied that SHE didn't carry a gun. I told her, "That's the risk YOU choose to take." And of course she's already stated that she could never kill anyone in self-defense. She's highly religious and no doubt believes that she'll derive some spiritual benefit from letting somebody murder her. Being an agnostic, I believe that the only thing that'll win me is the description "Loving son of" in the obituary section of the Sun-Times.

The truth of self-defense and ones choice to not effectively exercise it is the truth of the shooting of six and murder of five women in a Tinley Park, Illinois Lane Bryant clothing store. It's quite possible that those women never needed a handgun for self-defense before that day. Drawing the conclusion that they would NEVER need one would have cost five of them their lives. I say WOULD have, since the legislators of the state of Illinois have consciously decided that it's better that six women be shot in the head execution style and five of them die, than for ONE of them to defend herself (and by implication the rest) with a concealed handgun. As far as I know, to this day the killer has never been apprehended. To those five women, it wouldn't matter one bit if he was.

• Police have no legal duty to protect individuals.
    • Police have no legal liability when they fail to protect individuals.
    • Police have virtually no physical ability to protect individuals.

When your life is in danger right now, defend yourself or don't get defended AT ALL.

If you have to defend yourself from deadly force, do so without undue hesitation and with the utmost violence, skill and resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    Moral of the story be a good sheep and don't play with guns.

I can't get over how the email had a distinct but undeniable anti gun/carry smell to it.
    Actually, the moral of the story is that people who think they are prepared by buying a gun and carrying a gun, but not practicing with a gun as if their life depended upon it are fools.

Go look at the places you shoot. Tell me you don't see the following:

"I don't need to practice beyond 7 yards because we all know that's were most encounters take place"...meaning I'm a lousy shot, and as long as I can get all (well, most...) the shots on paper (note I didn't say ON TARGET...) at 7 yards when I point the gun at the target pulling the trigger without using my sights, I'm happy.

"5 shots will be enough...I don't need to carry a spare mag"...meaning that I carry a gun for when things go bad, but I don't expect them to go, you know, bad bad.

"Training? I took the CCW class. I'm trained" ...meaning they don't know what they don't know, and like it that way.

"I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6" ...meaning they are too lazy to bother to study lethal force laws and are content to ride the criminal justice system in the aftermath of an event.

It's not anti-gun you smell; it's anti-lazy fool.

It just so happens that too many gun carriers are lazy fools who think "good enough" really is.

Good enough isn't. It never will be.

Unless you want to settle for it. If that's the case, hey. Go for it.

Me...I'll settle when I do 5 shots into a business card at 25 yards in 10 seconds. From the holster. After doing 50 pushups & an espresso shot.

I have work to do.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    As the story is written in the TC's e-mail, I cry foul. There is no way you can tell me that the story is only about John Smith's lack of training failing to take down a terrorist.

All the training in the world would not have prepared John Smith for that terrorist busting in and shooting up the place.

I agree that the more practice the civilian does the better, the more training the better. However we aren't LEO or commandos.
    This isn't military boot camp. Not everyone can shoot a 2" group past 10 yards... just like not everyone can shoot a .357 magnum J frame and hit a target at all at 7 yards. I can because I practice with it, and yeah I'm hoping 5 shots will be enough. I do carry 2 speed loaders if its not. I will not submit into the auto loading crowd saying it's irresponsible of me to carry a 5 shot snub nose as my primary EDC.
    I will never "settle" no matter how good I am because doing push ups and drinking espresso isn't the same as getting shot at...not even close... not even remotely close.

CCW classes had to set a standard somewhere I guess 21 feet sounded good. What do you suggest?
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    It was written by Gabe Suarez.
    Yeah, the same guy that uses terms like "Civilian CCW Permit Operator". I take anything that guy says with a grain of salt. He is simply way too tacticool for me.

I am sure my choice of DAO revolvers for off-duty carry highly offends the mall ninjas and internet commandos out there, but that doesn't mean that I will somehow be completely unable to defend myself in the extremely unlikely event that I am present when a nut job decides to go on a mass shooting spree.

I generally have about twenty rounds on me, total, between guns and reloads, when I am out and about. I am sure Mr. Suarez and his followers have more than that in one magazine. I am sure they see me as woefully under prepared for those everyday mass shootings we are all present for.

I guess I should retire or move to a cave. I carry revolvers for self defense and I'd much rather have a 8-shot M1 Garand than a M4 with 9 pounds of tacticool accessories stuck all over it and a bottomless Beta-C magazine to feed it in the event I found myself in need of a long gun.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    Bandolero my comments aren't in any way against you....
    Hey I have no dog in this.

I do think the message that was being set forth, perhaps rather sensationally, was more like:

1) make sure the gun you are getting is for the right reasons. Not just because somebody told you "hey this is the gospel."

2) train with that weapon. And make sure it's the right kind of training.

Quote Originally Posted by Landric View Post
    Yeah, the same guy that uses terms like "Civilian CCW Permit Operator". I take anything that guy says with a grain of salt. He is simply way too tacticool for me.

I am sure my choice of DAO revolvers for off-duty carry highly offends the mall ninjas and internet commandos out there, but that doesn't mean that I will somehow be completely unable to defend myself in the extremely unlikely event that I am present when a nut job decides to go on a mass shooting spree.

I generally have about twenty rounds on me, total, between guns and reloads, when I am out and about. I am sure Mr. Suarez and his followers have more than that in one magazine. I am sure they see me as woefully under prepared for those everyday mass shootings we are all present for.

I guess I should retire or move to a cave. I carry revolvers for self defense and I'd much rather have a 8-shot M1 Garand than a M4 with 9 pounds of tacticool accessories stuck all over it and a bottomless Beta-C magazine to feed it in the event I found myself in need of a long gun.
    Course the difference with you Landric, is the training :) You can actually hit what you're aiming at with a DA, 5-shot, break your wrist with the SD load, J-frame :)...

The way I read it is: Simply buying a firearm, going through a paper punching class such as a ccw course, and carrying it may not be enough when it counts. You need proper training and the mindset to react and not hesitate if the rare chance you are confronted with a life or death situation arises. It was well written.

I don't understand the blind Suarez hate. I have been through his training classes so I guess that means I am a "follower" and I carry a 5 shot j frame with a total of 15 rounds . What has that man done to you to make you so angry?

One day or dark night, you and I just might want to be real good faithful friends with those militiamen, whom I do not ridicule as being uncool fools.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links