Charter Arms .38 undercover from '63

This is a discussion on Charter Arms .38 undercover from '63 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm new to DC and I recently got my ccw in Fl; originally from IL. My wife now wants her ccw. Problem is, my carry ...

Thread: Charter Arms .38 undercover from '63

Charter Arms .38 undercover from '63

I'm new to DC and I recently got my ccw in Fl; originally from IL. My wife now wants her ccw. Problem is, my carry is a Charter Arms .38 undercover I bought in '63 while in the Corps. I still have 158 gr 38 spl Remington loads which I'm reluctant to use. She likes the feel of the CA but I'm not comfortable sending to the safety/training class with them. I believe I should upgrade my CA to a Ruger LCR, Kahr CW9 (for me) or S&W 642. My questions are; are the loads from '63 safe or should I lose them; and since she "doesn't like guns that eject" would the LCR or the 642 be better for her. She got that phobia from her first husband 30 years ago.

2. Remove Ads

Welcome from Southwestern Virginia.

I have an LCR and a Kahr CW9. I love them both. The LCR is my primary carry gun, that is until I can get my hands on a PM9. I was considering a S&W 642 but I like the Ruger LCR much better. The grip is a lot more comfortable and absorbs more of the recoil I think. The trigger on the LCR .. well there is nothing like it in my opinion. Smooth like butter. Can't go wrong with either the LCR or the CW9.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayz View Post
    I'm new to DC and I recently got my ccw in Fl; originally from IL. My wife now wants her ccw. Problem is, my carry is a Charter Arms .38 undercover I bought in '63 while in the Corps. I still have 158 gr 38 spl Remington loads which I'm reluctant to use. She likes the feel of the CA but I'm not comfortable sending to the safety/training class with them. I believe I should upgrade my CA to a Ruger LCR, Kahr CW9 (for me) or S&W 642. My questions are; are the loads from '63 safe or should I lose them; and since she "doesn't like guns that eject" would the LCR or the 642 be better for her. She got that phobia from her first husband 30 years ago.
    Welcome to the forum from Victoria, B.C.

That ammo should be safe to use if it's been stored properly. I still have some WWII surplus ammo that goes bang through my .303.

Having said that, ammo technology has changed a lot since 1963 and those (I'm assuming round nose) rounds would NOT be my first choice for an SD round. If you still have the box and it's full, it may have some collector value. They should be fine for practice or take them into your local gun store. They may trade you straight across for some modern SD rounds.

As far as firearms choice, you're opening up a big can of worms here. You can expect varied opinions on this one. My first love are wheelguns. But my favourite EDC is a semi.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

The rounds are safe to use for the range, I would grab a box of new defense rounds to carry. Can't go wrong with an LCR its a great little gun and CA has also made quite a few nice .38's for great prices recently.

GM
    Welcome from South Florida

I am not a wheel gun guy, but I should always choose an S&W 642 before the LCR. First because it is a S&W, and then because I have only heard positive things about the 642; if I do not remember wrong it was the S&W’s best seller for a few years ago. But she is the one that will carry the firearm, and for that reason she must be the one that decides which one is best for her.

I agree with GunnyBunny; although the ammo should be safe to use if it has been stored properly, the ammo technology has evolved very much since then. Nowadays you can find SD ammo that is much better than the one you bought in 1963. But you can always use it to practice, or just save it (which I should do). And I think you are right, even if the ammo was safe to use I would not take it to the safety training; the instructor might now like it for whatever reason.

Do not worry because she "doesn't like guns that eject"; as soon as she tries your Kahr she will change her mind
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Let her pick the gun she likes best.... take her to a range and rent some for her to try out... remember she has to be comfortable to carry it and use it under high stress situation. for example... my girlfriend has to "relearn" how to work my semi auto every time she shoots it. even with muscle memory... she will be getting a revolver... point pull bang.. thats it.... no rapp tap, push, pull like a semi auto.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Hi Rayz, well Ill Noise is a very good place to be FROM!

Welcome to the DC Forum from Delaware.

First of all, welcome from East Tennessee.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayz View Post
    and since she "doesn't like guns that eject" would the LCR or the 642 be better for her.
    Remember that a carry weapon is a very personal thing. She needs to decide what she is comfortable with. This means she needs to be the one to pick it, train with it, and clean it. The only way to determine that is for her to shoot multiple types/models. Check with your local ranges and explain to them that she is trying to find the right fit for her. You will probably find one that is willing to let her pay a rental fee and try multiple guns. We have a local range that has a "Ladies night" where a trainer is present to let women try any and as many of the rental guns that they want. The only stipulation is that they have to buy their ammo for the evening from the range.
    ...Adam

"If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart, and if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no head." --Winston Churchill

Links