Texas CCW Instructors

This is a discussion on Texas CCW Instructors within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am in the Navy currently stationed in GA. I am a legal resident of Texas. I know that the fee for a CHL in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texas CCW Instructors

Texas CCW Instructors

I am in the Navy currently stationed in GA. I am a legal resident of Texas. I know that the fee for a CHL in TX for active military is $0, but as far as I can tell I still need to take a course from a certified CHL course instructor in TX and do the fingerprint cards and all that in TX. I tried to contact TX DPS with questions and never got an answer. If anyone knows of any exceptions, and where to find them in writing, for active military to this please enlighten me. Anyway, the reason for my post is to find a certified instructor in the area north of Dallas/Ft. Worth and between Wichita Falls and Sherman/Denison so that the next time I am home I can take the course. The certified instructor list is currently not available on the TX DPS website and hasn't been for some time now. Also, what kind of fee do the instructors usually charge for their course?

2. Remove Ads

Yep, you will have to take the class from a qualified instructor.

Around here the fee is usually between 100 and 150. Some classes offer all the fingerprints, ect, some make you get that stuff done elsewhere.

Being military, some may give you a discount.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by lskinner4 View Post
    I am in the Navy currently stationed in GA. I am a legal resident of Texas. I know that the fee for a CHL in TX for active military is $0, but as far as I can tell I still need to take a course from a certified CHL course instructor in TX and do the fingerprint cards and all that in TX. I tried to contact TX DPS with questions and never got an answer. If anyone knows of any exceptions, and where to find them in writing, for active military to this please enlighten me. Anyway, the reason for my post is to find a certified instructor in the area north of Dallas/Ft. Worth and between Wichita Falls and Sherman/Denison so that the next time I am home I can take the course. The certified instructor list is currently not available on the TX DPS website and hasn't been for some time now. Also, what kind of fee do the instructors usually charge for their course?
    I know it hasn't been accessible since at least November. I paid $75, but thats here in Nacogdoches.
    Walk quietly and carry a big stick.

VIP Member

Difference between DPS fee and instructor's fee

You will have to take the class. The instructors charge for teaching and for range time. The state has various application fees and may (I don't know) give the CHL free to active military without charging processing fees.

Fingerprints and photos aren't too expensive and are usually arranged by the instructor. The range test also of course costs you a box of ammo. And we all know these days that isn't cheap either.

Most Gun Ranges in Texas have CHL classes. ck one in your area of choice,
    also ck here, Texas Gun Talk
    Glocks

hello i am a chl instructor.if you can call me when you are in town we can let you sit in one of the classes. i do most of my classes at the DFW gun range on mockingbird.but you would still have to pay for the fingerprints,passport photo and notary stuff. they normally will be a $20 fee the three.let me now it would be the least i can do for military person..

Quote Originally Posted by swat View Post
    hello i am a chl instructor.if you can call me when you are in town we can let you sit in one of the classes. i do most of my classes at the DFW gun range on mockingbird.but you would still have to pay for the fingerprints,passport photo and notary stuff. they normally will be a $20 fee the three.let me now it would be the least i can do for military person..
    Thanks alot! How many days is the course? I'm not sure when the next time I will be back there will be but should be sometime between now and christmas.

Thumbs up

In Tx it is a 10 hour course.

Very cool of the above poster to comp the fees for you.

The DPS pulled the instructor list on the web site because they felt they should not reccomend any instructor. It seem that in late 08 two instructors who happened to be husband and wife got intoxicated, inebriated and waxed and commenced to shoot each other in private places in a public venue.

For anyone in NE Texas, David Frick teaches out of Rose City Flying Clays in Tyler and is really good. He does photos, fingerprints, class at the range and shooting for $75. He is interesting and his classes are a joy to sit through. Just google for the range and link to handgun training if you are interested. David's schedule is posted on line.

hello the class is done in one day.. we start at 9am shoot around 5:30ish.grade the test and targets then finish off with the chl100 form that you mail into the state..we take lunch in the middle of all that.. it still stands youget in touch with me either through the range(they have my cell)or i can post it here if you need..

texasbestchl.com
    Support your local gun shop.

You guys are awesome! This is a prime example of why I am proud to be from Texas and in the military. I don't expect to get anything for free just for serving my country but Texans definitely take care of their service members.

You guys are awesome! This is a prime example of why I am proud to be from Texas and in the military. I don't expect to get anything for free just for serving my country but Texans definitely take care of their service members.
    Amen, and welcome back to Texas, and thank you for your service

Quote Originally Posted by rhenriksen View Post
    Amen, and welcome back to Texas, and thank you for your service
    +1 Thanks for fighting for my family, and welcome back to Gods Country....when you get back that is.....
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by swat View Post
    Hi swat, I just want to thank you for responding to this Serviceman and helping him out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links