Non-resident permits

Non-resident permits

This is a discussion on Non-resident permits within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While looking into reciprocity for SC CCW, I noticed that I cannot carry across the deep south (GA, AL, MS, and FL). Seeing that my ...

Thread: Non-resident permits

Non-resident permits

While looking into reciprocity for SC CCW, I noticed that I cannot carry across the deep south (GA, AL, MS, and FL). Seeing that my wife and I have started our family, I'm sure we'll be traveling to some of these states for vacations in the future.

I noticed FL has reciprocity with the other states. Have any of you pursued non-resident permits from other states so that you could be legal in other states you travel in? Any issues I should be concerned with as far as the non-resident permit?

I'm hoping we here in SC can eventually move toward reciprocity with the other southern states, making this concern null and void, but I don't see that happening in the near future.

Florida doesn't recongize ANY non-res permits that you can get if you don't live in that state (i.e. If you have a NH non-res, and NH is recongized by FL, only the res permit is recongized and the non-res is not recongized).

The only way to travel to FL carrying legally is to either live in a state that is recirocal to FL and get the permit or get the FL non-res direct from FL itself.

Wayne

VIP Member
    Yes, I have applied for the Utah non-resident permit, which will cover the states I travel to that offer any reciprocity.

For your situation I would second getting the Florida non-resident permit. Just be aware that they share everything on your application with anyone who asks. I know there was a bill to close that up, does anyone know if it passed?

-Scott-

I have a New Hampshire NR permit in addition to my SC CCW. That let's me carry in Georgia plus a few other states. Not in Florida. The cost was $20.00 and turn around time was about one week door to door. Good bang for the buck. Pun not intended.

Mark

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    There is a federal law that protects you carrying your gun in your car while travelling through other states (the gun will need to be unloaded, and in the trunk). I think that getting a nonresident permit is the best idea, as it allows you to keep the gun on you. You wouldn't want to forget to pack your gun in the trunk, whenyou happen to stop for lunch. All you need is the application, which they will mail to you, documentation of training, a passport size photo, a fingerprint card from your local police dept, and a check for the fee. I have both Florida and Utah permits, in addition to my Nevada CCW. FYI:

FLORIDA permits are currently honored in Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia and Wyoming.
    Michigan and New Hampshire honor Florida permits held by Florida residents only.

UTAH permits are currently honored in Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington and Wyoming.
    Florida, Michigan, and New Hampshire honor Utah permits held by Utah residents only.

look into new hampshire. Quick response, large acceptance in the south, and inexpensive. I think I was just under 2 weeks for mine to come in.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    you guys in SC have a major problem here.
    My daughter lives in NC and I have to drive through SC to see her and can't carry in your lovely state.
    The problem isn't us, it's your state won't recognize other states. But, maybe it's getting better, you just recognized NC.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

I'm hoping SLED and our legislature will get moving with this and recognize the rest of the states around us.

mstarn, was there any special training requirements for the NH permit (NRA instructor, etc)?

Squawker, same question for FL.

Thanks guys!

All you South Carolinians need to recognize that the problem with reciprocity lies within your state. You need to jump both your legislature and SLED to get on the stick....There is utterly NO logic in their recognition process..........at least Florida WILL issue a license to a non res....your state won't............why? Who knows!

For some reason, the legislature turned over the reciprocity thing to SLED to determine which states we recognize or don't. Now, while I'm glad something like that is out of the hands of shifty lawmakers, the levels of SLED where these decisions are made are just as political. So in the end, it doesn't really make much of a difference.

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    More states need to be like Oklahoma, we honor any valid permit.
    Curry

Links