FL car carry

FL car carry

This is a discussion on FL car carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is the interpretation of FL car carry laws from Handgunlaw.us: "Securely encased" means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a ...

Thread: FL car carry

FL car carry

This is the interpretation of FL car carry laws from Handgunlaw.us:

"Securely encased" means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a
    gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid
    or cover to be opened for access
    So would this fulfill those requirements?

NRAStore.com - Product Detail

I read somewhere on this site that it has to be in the glove box AND in a holster not just one or the other. But that doesn't sound like what Handgunlaw.us is saying. Thanks!
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

Senior Moderator
    Per Jon Gutmacher's book, simply placing the firearm in the glovebox is sufficient, as is any closed container that the firearm cannot be discharged through.

According to what Mr. Gutmacher writes on page 79 of his book, that holster would meet the requirements for Florida law.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    Per Jon Gutmacher's book, simply placing the firearm in the glovebox is sufficient, as is any closed container that the firearm cannot be discharged through.

According to what Mr. Gutmacher writes on page 79 of his book, that holster would meet the requirements for Florida law.

Matt
    Thanks.
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

Get your FL CCW permit and you won't have to worry about that...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    A very good point, and it is also worth noting that the firearm cannot be on your person - even in your car - without a CWFL.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Like others have stated, Florida law simply requires the weapon to be "securely encased." What most people miss is that it states, "to include a snapped holster". People have been known to get snagged using an open top/non retention holster as a car etc. holster inside the vehicle not on their person.
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

my understanding was (and this was told to me by several cops) you can keep it in the glove box, in an unsnapped holster. it is considered securely encased. but lets say you get pulled over and have your registration or insurance card in the glove box. the second you open the glove box you've broken the law. but a cop also told me that you can inform the cop that you have an unsnapped holstered firearm in the glove box and they can go in there and secure it. that's perfectly legal. the same cop also told me that i can have it in a snapped holster on the passenger seat.

Sponsored Links