States that recognize NY permits

This is a discussion on States that recognize NY permits within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SCfromNY +1 for hamlet. NY only issues TWO permits and both are full carry. One is for NYC and the other the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: States that recognize NY permits

Quote Originally Posted by SCfromNY View Post
    +1 for hamlet. NY only issues TWO permits and both are full carry. One is for NYC and the other the rest of NY. The restrictions are purely administrative and have no legal consequence should you disregard them. HOWEVER it is pretty much a given that the issuing county will revoke your permit but legally you are OK.
    What's with you guys?
    Your wrong too!

Read my prior posts on the Laws. You are partially correct about the administrative restrictions...Having a target/hunting permit and being snagged with it on you when it isn't hunting season, or no range within reasonable distance you are privy too - your not going to have a good day! Your absolutely correct, the permit will be revoked. But once that happens, you'll never get another one in NY again (and possibly any other state due to the Q's on the apps asking if you have ever had one revoked). This doesn't even consider what additional crap the heel-clicking NY LEO's may decide to toss onto the mess.

It's simply not worth taken chances like that.

And to minimize the impact so flippantly or be so misinformed about the laws in your state - you guys shouldn't even have a gun period, long or otherwise. The ignorant and misinformed is why the gun-grabbing political hacks like Schumer, Gillibrand, Hall and all the rest in the NY political machine are taking away your 2A rights, not just because of the gang-bangers.

Damn, I hate to say this, but part of the reason I carry daily is to protect myself from not only the gang-bangers and rabid chuckleheads, but also the stupid and/or ignorant gun-toting public.

Carrying is a responsibility, not a fashion statement! Know the laws! Know the impact of your decision to carry!
    Last edited by Scott; April 8th, 2010 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Profanity

2. Remove Ads

My next step is to get my PA state carry permit, and it will include other states such as Georgia, Louisiana, NC, ND, Virginia, W.Virginia, and Wyoming. They do teach the Utah class here locally, and then that would cover all the above plus Alabama, Delaware, Monnesota, Mississippi, Nebraska, New Mexico, Ohio, and Washington. I do quite a bit of motorcycling, and often ride in PA. I live 5 miles from the border. Bunker

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mkuisi8mo View Post
    Your wrong too:

1. NYS does not honor any other state License (as you stated)

However:

2. States that do honor the NYS permit are:
    Alaska, Arizona, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and Vermont.
    Thanks for the correction.

Solve your problems and bail from that hole.
    !

moved to texas and never looked back.
    got to texas as fast as i could...Fuhgeddaboudit!

Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    My next step is to get my PA state carry permit, and it will include other states such as Georgia, Louisiana, NC, ND, Virginia, W.Virginia, and Wyoming. They do teach the Utah class here locally, and then that would cover all the above plus Alabama, Delaware, Monnesota, Mississippi, Nebraska, New Mexico, Ohio, and Washington. I do quite a bit of motorcycling, and often ride in PA. I live 5 miles from the border. Bunker
    Don't bother with the PA license...get a non-resident Florida and Virgina. You'll be covered in 31 states with your NY one...including PA (which honors both FL & VA non-res licenses).

FL takes about 90 days from receiving the app and does not indicate it is "non-resident".

VA takes 2 weeks from the date they receive the app, but it does list as "non-resident"

BTW: In NM, both are honored, even if you are a NM resident without a NM carry license.

Also: Utah requires a Utah certified trainer for their particular course...FL & VA will accept your NYS hunter safety course certificate...no need to spend the money on another handgun safety course. Use the $$$ for extra mags, a good holster and ammo!

It is a minimal charge for the PA permit, no class, and turnaround time is approx 2 weeks. Maybe in the mean time i can look into the FL. permit.... is it just me, or is it darn crazy that with all the paperwork, $200 in classes here in NYS, background checks, fingerprinting, etc, and other states dont recognize this? Holy crap batman.... Bunker

Your wrong too:

However:

Alaska, Arizona, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and Vermont.
    Please go back and actually READ the portion of the post that I highlighted. I referred ONLY to the statement that no states recognized NYS permits. And then re-read my response.

I made NO reference to what states NYS recognized.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Please go back and actually READ the portion of the post that I highlighted. I referred ONLY to the statement that no states recognized NYS permits. And then re-read my response.

I made NO reference to what states NYS recognized.
    I was not speaking about your post. I missed that one initially. You are very correct about 13 states recognizing the NYS permit. You listed a good URL for anyone to follow up on.

If you go back, follow the thread and re-read my post you are citing, you will see it is aimed at Siafu, just as yours was too.

He originally posted:

Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    No other states honor NYS and NYS honors no other state.
    Then you apparently responded with:

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Incorrect. According to handgunlaw.us, 13 states honor NYS permits.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/newyork.pdf
    To which I added, and also directed to Siafu (not knowing you had already posted the above cited response):

Your wrong too:

However:

To which Siafu responded:

Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    Thanks for the correction.
    So lighten up! Slow the breathing down before you pull the trigger.

"Damn, I hate to say this, but part of the reason I carry daily is to protect myself from not only the gang-bangers and rabid chuckleheads, but also the stupid and/or ignorant gun-toting public.?

Some folks may not be omniscient and this board is a nice place for them to learn from those who may be.

So lighten up! Slow the breathing down before you pull the trigger.
    OMO
    bosco

Don't bother with the PA license...get a non-resident Florida and Virgina. You'll be covered in 31 states with your NY one...including PA (which honors both FL & VA non-res licenses).

FL takes about 90 days from receiving the app and does not indicate it is "non-resident".
    The PA non-resident permit does not indicate that it is non-resident. It's also cheaper and comes in a matter of days (Centre County). You are virtually guaranteed to get it within a week.

Please, please... I take offense to NY being referred to as a "gulag". A gulag was a Russian forced labor prison camp for political prisoners.

NY may be a lot of things, and certainly is not the most 2nd amendment friendly state, but it does have many strong points. For those of us living outside of NY City, I think it's a great state to live in. But a gulag, it's not.

At least our rest stops are all open!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    Please, please... I take offense to NY being referred to as a "gulag". A gulag was a Russian forced labor prison camp for political prisoners.

NY may be a lot of things, and certainly is not the most 2nd amendment friendly state, but it does have many strong points. For those of us living outside of NY City, I think it's a great state to live in. But a gulag, it's not.

At least out rest stops are all open!
    +1

By the way, how many turns does it take to wind up the rubber band in that plane before you can take off??

bosco

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    +1

By the way, how many turns does it take to wind up the rubber band in that plane before you can take off??

bosco

That's almost a serious question! If it's very warm or humid out, I need much more runway (and have to pedal much harder) to get off the ground!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    +1

bosco
    No rubber bands on this mode, if you look closer you can see part of the wind up key in the midsection.

P.S as the song goes "If you can make it here you can make it anywhere. NY NY. Not the easiest place on the earth to live but we can better than anybody. Hitch

I was not speaking about your post. I missed that one initially.
    My deepest apologies for the confusion. I would love to blame it on my six year old grandson bugging me at the time, but he wasn't even in the room.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links