Safety First ... ALWAYS!

This is a discussion on Safety First ... ALWAYS! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by BRTCP88 The bill of rights doesn't have an expiration date! You have the right to bear arms until you die! We have ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Safety First ... ALWAYS!

Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    The bill of rights doesn't have an expiration date! You have the right to bear arms until you die!
    We have a winner!
    --
    If I'm repeating myself, or repeating myself differently, it's probably 'cause of the brain cells I've murdered and the selective memory caused by concussions, contusions and confusions. Oh yeah, and that one night in Dallas.

NRA-Life Member
    ATA- Life Member
    --Guns? What guns?--

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by i10casual View Post
    So what age should a person not be able to carry a gun anymore? I'm thinking in terms of when would it be unsafe.
    When the person demonstrates by their conduct that they are incapable of carrying safely.

We stop our elderly from driving at a certain age.
    Not in any state I have ever lived in! I have never seen an upper age limit to driving. I'm 67; would you like to compare driving records?

our elderly???? How paternalistic can one get? I bet YOU aren't "elderly".
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    dry firing is a common practice regardless of familiarity and skill level with your gun...it is not even remotely related to playing "quick draw mcgraw"...it is a legitimate practice...and it is just as effective practice in your hotel room, bedroom, garage or basement...
    I didn't say it wasn't legitimate - double negative anyone?

I did say it was silly. If you're going to practice with a weapon, a dedicated place and even a specific time aids in one's concentration. I know this as an instructor (not firearms). The issue was likely the guilty party would go click-click-click, then get distracted, come back to practice, and forget he reloaded. That's far too easy to do.

When I am in my hotel room with a firearm, the firearm is loaded and holstered - always. If I want to practice, I am in my garage at home or at the range. Always.

Hotel room = silly, and unsafe.

That's just my opinoin, and worth everything you paid for it.

+1 for MadMac... Practice time is at the range or home or garage, NOT at a hotel room, too many distractions!!! Leave it loaded and holstered and ready.
    God Bless the troops...especially the snipers!
    -LaRue Tactical -

VIP Member
    POPCORN anyone???

"So what age should a person not be able to carry a gun anymore? I'm thinking in terms of when would it be unsafe. We stop our elderly from driving at a certain age."

I'm trying to remain calm regarding the implication that 60 is somehow too old to be carrying a weapon!
    __________________centerofmass

Yeah. try telling that to all the past and present CO's, in The military, and police force

I'm not jumping from the frying pan into the fire on this one!
    Whew

Just gonna add, BE SAFE when handling firearms

Mark Twain:
    Always do right--this will gratify some and astonish the rest.
    message to Young People's Society, Greenpoint Presbyterian Church, Brooklyn, New York, February 16, 1901
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by i10casual View Post
    So what age should a person not be able to carry a gun anymore? I'm thinking in terms of when would it be unsafe. We stop our elderly from driving at a certain age. What's your opinion?
    That question speaks volumes about the lack of respect for the elderly in this country.

I would trust my back to an 85 year-old gun enthusiast over a 25 year-old one any day.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

Practicing in a hotel room...

My reference to practicing in a hotel room was with respect to a specific five-day course. They were busy days and part of the homework was to practice what was learned, including trigger resets and trigger control in general, not necessarily drawing from the holster. For those who traveled to the course, the hotel room was the only place they had in which to practice. I would be the first to say save practice for the range, except for limited circumstances when there is no other choice. Then it's lock the ammo away until you are finished so as not to, as pointed out above, get distracted and load live rounds in the middle of practice. If done properly, it can be done safely but, like anything else, if done carelessly it will have a negative result whether it's in a room or on the range.

Quote Originally Posted by gmark340 View Post
    My reference to practicing in a hotel room was with respect to a specific five-day course. They were busy days and part of the homework was to practice what was learned, including trigger resets and trigger control in general, not necessarily drawing from the holster. For those who traveled to the course, the hotel room was the only place they had in which to practice.
    I will repeat my opinion. Practicing in a hotel room - any hotel room - is a lousy idea.

I could care less if someone was attending a "class". If they were, the instructor/owner could possibly be sued. It doesn't matter if the guy was playing Quick Draw McGraw or simpy doing trigger resets. That's something to do at the class, at your home, or on the range. Hotel room firearm fondling = potential of an ND putting random strangers at risk. The results speak for themselves.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links