Safety First ... ALWAYS!

This is a discussion on Safety First ... ALWAYS! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've redacted some details because my object is ONLY to remind the "choir" to be careful even while "inspecting" your weapons. From my Local News: ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safety First ... ALWAYS!

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar

Safety First ... ALWAYS!

I've redacted some details because my object is ONLY to
    remind the "choir" to be careful even while "inspecting"
    your weapons.

From my Local News:

Man charged after firing pistol in apartment
    April 8, 2010,

"A 60-year-old ****** man was charged with misdemeanor second-degree reckless endangerment recently after he accidentally fired a .40-caliber pistol through his apartment wall.

State police responded to a 911 call at a ***** Road apartment complex. The bullet from the Smith & Wesson pistol ended up in the adjoining apartment wall, police said.

**** ***** was issued an appearance ticket for Town of ******** Court after the incident."

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

2. Remove Ads

Can't be repeated too often! I took a LFI course with Mas Ayoob years ago and remember him stressing that if we were going to practice at the hotel dry firing we should, of course, confirm that we had a safe and empty gun but also that we put all ammo away so we didn't accidentally load while concentrating on the lesson. Apparently, someone in the class before had neglected this precaution and had drawn and fired, right through the two adjoining rooms. There was a couple in the room right next door but, fortunately for them, they were horizontal as the bullet whizzed through the room. No injuries but plenty of explaining to do.

A WEAPON IS ALWAYS LOADED, UNTIL YOU CLEAR IT.

CLEAR IT EVERY TIME YOU HANDLE IT IF NOT A SHOOTING SITUATION!

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    A WEAPON IS ALWAYS LOADED

CLEAR IT EVERY TIME YOU HANDLE IT
    Fixed.

Guns are always loaded no matter what.

Until I have it field stripped, thats the only time I ever consider a gun unloaded.

This sounds like more basic gun safety is needed. I remember my first NRA Safe Hunter class in the Boy Scouts (many, many moons ago). "More unloaded guns kill people than loaded guns".

Practicing dry firing in a hotel room? Personally, that seems very silly to me - and I spend about 30% of my life in hotel rooms. There's a time and a place for your firearms, but playing Quick Draw McGraw at the Marriott doesn't make sense to me. I could have predicted this if the guy had told me he takes out his carry piece in the hotel and "practices".

I practice firing at the range, and will occasionally practice my draw at home. I am NOT pulling the trigger at home unless I have finished cleaning the pistol, and need to perform a function check. I initially did do some dry firing when I bought my guns, and then used a snap cap to ensure the gun was safe. Now, whenever my guns are at home and not being cleaned, they are loaded and ready for use.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    When someone has a ND they should get pistol whipped once for every gun safety rule they broke.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckAZ View Post
    Fixed.

Guns are always loaded no matter what.

Until I have it field stripped, thats the only time I ever consider a gun unloaded.
    Guns are always loaded unless field stripped, eh? Well, I have a hard time field stripping my loaded Glock since I have to pull the trigger to break it down.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Practicing dry firing in a hotel room? Personally, that seems very silly to me - and I spend about 30% of my life in hotel rooms. There's a time and a place for your firearms, but playing Quick Draw McGraw at the Marriott doesn't make sense to me. I could have predicted this if the guy had told me he takes out his carry piece in the hotel and "practices".

I practice firing at the range, and will occasionally practice my draw at home. I am NOT pulling the trigger at home unless I have finished cleaning the pistol, and need to perform a function check. I initially did do some dry firing when I bought my guns, and then used a snap cap to ensure the gun was safe. Now, whenever my guns are at home and not being cleaned, they are loaded and ready for use.
    dry firing is a common practice regardless of familiarity and skill level with your gun...it is not even remotely related to playing "quick draw mcgraw"...it is a legitimate practice...and it is just as effective practice in your hotel room, bedroom, garage or basement...

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    Guns are always loaded unless field stripped, eh? Well, I have a hard time field stripping my loaded Glock since I have to pull the trigger to break it down.

I think he just meant that after you double or triple check when making a gun safe, you still point it in a safe direction when you dry fire it. Even if I am 100% certain that my gun is unloaded, ie. I just dropped the magazine, racked the slide three times, visibly inspected the breech, and physically inspected the breech, I still point it in a safe direction when pulling the trigger prior to field stripping. Once it is field stripped, however, I think pointing the frame would be considered safe.
    ...Adam

"If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart, and if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no head." --Winston Churchill

So what age should a person not be able to carry a gun anymore? I'm thinking in terms of when would it be unsafe. We stop our elderly from driving at a certain age. What's your opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by i10casual View Post
    So what age should a person not be able to carry a gun anymore? I'm thinking in terms of when would it be unsafe. We stop our elderly from driving at a certain age. What's your opinion?
    You should probably create a new thread for your question.
    ...Adam

"If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart, and if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no head." --Winston Churchill

I don't think a specific age would make one unsafe to carry a gun. Some people can drive longer than others and I think it would be the same with guns.

"So what age should a person not be able to carry a gun anymore? I'm thinking in terms of when would it be unsafe. We stop our elderly from driving at a certain age."

I'm trying to remain calm regarding the implication that 60 is somehow too old to be carrying a weapon!
    EDC - S&W M&P .45

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take." Thomas Jefferson

http://www.gunrightsreport.com

The bill of rights doesn't have an expiration date! You have the right to bear arms until you die!
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links