AZ Constitutional carry update - Page 3

AZ Constitutional carry update

This is a discussion on AZ Constitutional carry update within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Congratulations to us Desert Rats. We will fix the little stuff next year targus. For now putting one foot ahead of the other is working....

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: AZ Constitutional carry update

TOF
    Congratulations to us Desert Rats.

We will fix the little stuff next year targus. For now putting one foot ahead of the other is working.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by TOF View Post
    Congratulations to us Desert Rats.

Here Here!!
    Gotta love living in Free America!
    Glock 22, NS
    Glock 20, NS
    Ruger MkIII bull-barrel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    You can't cure stupid, but you can give it a good whoopin to straighten it's thought pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by targus View Post
    This is great for we Arizonans, but it is STUPID to still need the permit to carry concealed into a restaurant that serves alcohol when you can CCW everywhere else.
    agreed, but this is a start..................Camel's nose under the tent and all

Quote Originally Posted by Teufelhunde View Post
    agreed, but this is a start..................Camel's nose under the tent and all
    Yeah, yeah...I know...

I have my AZ permit and kept it current for years when I lived out of state even though I didn't need to since AZ accepts everyone else's permit. However, my wife never had an AZ permit, but she had our last state's permit and it was valid here as long as we weren't AZ residents. Now that we've moved to AZ, her's is no good. I called the DPS to see if there was any sort of "transition period" and they said as soon as we changed our residency (i.e. DL, plates, register to vote), her permit was invalid. We eat out all the time, so now it looks like she'll have to get one anyway even when Constitutional Carry goes into effect.

My luck, she'll get her lazy "you know what" around do doing it a few months before they "fix" needing a CCW permit in places that serve alcohol.

Governor Brewer Signs Arizona Constitutional Carry into Law

Friday, April 16, 2010

Today, Arizona Governor Jan Brewer (R) signed an important NRA-backed bill into law, which removes the licensure requirement for law-abiding citizens who choose to carry a concealed firearm in the state of Arizona. Senate Bill 1108 passed the state House on April 8, by a vote of 36-19 with five absent votes and the state Senate by a vote of 20-10 in late March.

“This is a major victory for gun owners in Arizona, and I would like to thank Governor Jan Brewer, as well as the primary bill sponsor, Senator Russell Pearce (R-Mesa), for their leadership in working to improve the self-defense rights of law-abiding citizens in Arizona," said Chris W. Cox, executive director of NRA-ILA. “Both Governor Brewer and state Senator Pearce have been strong supporters of the NRA. The NRA is also grateful to the legislators who voted for this measure making Arizona the third state in the nation behind Vermont and Alaska to offer its residents a constitutional carry option."

SB 1108 replaces Arizona’s former law, which required anyone who wished to defend themselves outside their home to possess a state-issued concealed carry permit. In Arizona’s constitution, Article 2, Section 26 states "the right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself or the state shall not be impaired…" The intention of this language could not be clearer.

Arizona residents will still be required to obtain a permit to carry concealed firearms across state lines in those states that have reciprocity agreements with Arizona.

"SB 1108 will enhance the rights of law-abiding Arizonans," concluded Cox.

The effective date for this bill has yet to be determined.

-NRA-

Established in 1871, the National Rifle Association is America’s oldest civil rights and sportsmen's group. Four million members strong, NRA continues its mission to uphold Second Amendment rights and to advocate enforcement of existing laws against violent offenders to reduce crime. The Association remains the nation's leader in firearm education and training for law-abiding gun owners, law enforcement and the military.

Quote Originally Posted by Frellmedead View Post

Governor Brewer Signs Arizona Constitutional Carry into Law

Friday, April 16, 2010

Today, Arizona Governor Jan Brewer (R) signed an important NRA-backed bill into law, which removes the licensure requirement for law-abiding citizens who choose to carry a concealed firearm in the state of Arizona. Senate Bill 1108 passed the state House on April 8, by a vote of 36-19 with five absent votes and the state Senate by a vote of 20-10 in late March.

“This is a major victory for gun owners in Arizona, and I would like to thank Governor Jan Brewer, as well as the primary bill sponsor, Senator Russell Pearce (R-Mesa), for their leadership in working to improve the self-defense rights of law-abiding citizens in Arizona," said Chris W. Cox, executive director of NRA-ILA. “Both Governor Brewer and state Senator Pearce have been strong supporters of the NRA. The NRA is also grateful to the legislators who voted for this measure making Arizona the third state in the nation behind Vermont and Alaska to offer its residents a constitutional carry option."

SB 1108 replaces Arizona’s former law, which required anyone who wished to defend themselves outside their home to possess a state-issued concealed carry permit. In Arizona’s constitution, Article 2, Section 26 states "the right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself or the state shall not be impaired…" The intention of this language could not be clearer.

Arizona residents will still be required to obtain a permit to carry concealed firearms across state lines in those states that have reciprocity agreements with Arizona.

"SB 1108 will enhance the rights of law-abiding Arizonans," concluded Cox.

The effective date for this bill has yet to be determined.

-NRA-

Established in 1871, the National Rifle Association is America’s oldest civil rights and sportsmen's group. Four million members strong, NRA continues its mission to uphold Second Amendment rights and to advocate enforcement of existing laws against violent offenders to reduce crime. The Association remains the nation's leader in firearm education and training for law-abiding gun owners, law enforcement and the military.
    I absolutely LOVE the way the NRA, GOA, and others are so quick to step forward and take credit for this, when, in fact, it was a grass roots group, the Arizona citizens defense league, that "got er done".

Oh well, at least it's now law (or at least will be 90 days after the legislature adjorns for the year.)

YMMV

Lon

Distinguished Member
    3 down and 47 to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Arizona has reciprocity with only 23 other states

Page Nine: Arizona Enacts "Constitutional Carry" For Firearms

Arizona Enacts "Constitutional Carry" For Firearms

"Freedom To Carry" may replace so-called "Right To Carry" nationally

PHOENIX -- With governor Jan Brewer's signature on the new "Constitutional Carry" firearm law today, Arizona becomes a beacon state for the nation on the gun-rights issue.

Arizonans, who have been free to carry firearms openly since statehood in 1912, will now be free to carry discreetly as well, without permits or red tape. Low-crime Vermont has had this freedom intact since Colonial days. The permit system remains in place but will no longer be required for discreet carry.

Alaska enacted a Constitutional Carry law in 2003, and Texas passed a limited version for traveling in 2007. Montana has enjoyed this freedom since 1991 on 99.4% of its land (outside city limits). These states experienced no increase in crime or accidents from the expanded freedom to discreetly bear arms in public. However, numerous dire warnings of "blood in the streets" preceded those new laws, but proved false. A list of circulating myths about the law, also known as "Freedom To Carry," appears at the end of this article.......................

"The permission-slip system is unaffected and offers some advantages to citizens. Other states recognize the Arizona permit under "reciprocity," which allows permit holders to carry firearms when in those states (currently 23 according to the Dept. of Public Safety).".....................

[QUOTE=Baja Boy;1580951
    "The permission-slip system is unaffected and offers some advantages to citizens. Other states recognize the Arizona permit under "reciprocity," which allows permit holders to carry firearms when in those states (currently 23 according to the Dept. of Public Safety).".....................[/QUOTE]

According to Handgun.org there are 32 states that allow AZ Permit holders to carry concealed/
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/arizona.pdf

Why the difference????????????????????????

VIP Member
    Fantastic! I love living in Arizona since 1984 and this really does make life here, a lot nicer.
    BTW: I'll maintain my CCW for all the right reasons, but this will help to keep our freedom intact.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Outstanding!
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    According to Handgun.org there are 32 states that allow AZ Permit holders to carry concealed/
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/arizona.pdf

Why the difference????????????????????????
    I'll take a stab at it and say "AZ state residency". Some states only honor other states' permits if they are a RESIDENT of that state. For example, I lived in CT and had an AZ permit. I have family in FL, and...FL recognizes AZ's permit, but only if the holder is an AZ resident. FL does not recognize CT. So, I had to keep and maintain a separate FL permit because my NON-resident AZ permit was no good in FL. Now that I am an AZ resident (thank God!), I can let my FL permit expire because my RESIDENT AZ permit is now recognized there. And, I will have to keep my AZ permit current to carry in FL (and other states) and to carry into restaurants/bars that serve alcohol for consumption on site in AZ. Hopefully, that ridiculous latter part will change soon...

So, MY guess the difference is 23 states recognize AZ's permit "no matter what". The 32 number, or extra 9 states, only honor AZ's permit if the holder is an AZ resident. Colorado, in addition to FL, is another one of these types of states. To make it even more confusing, some states will recognize NON-resident permits from certain states, but only resident permits from certain other states.

VIP Member
    Freedom is not a concept that all States believe in… I know, because I grew up on the west coast.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    If you go to Concealed Weapons Reciprocal and Recognition Agreements - Arizona Department of Public Safety
    you will see the listing of states that Honor an AZ permit/license. The AZ site lists 31 states that honor an AZ permit/license. They got the 23 as that is the number of states that honor an AZ permit/license without any type of agreement. AZ only has agreements signed with 8 states. Vermont is not listed as a state that honors their permit because no one needs a permit/license to carry in Vermont. That is why Handgunlaw.us has 32 states listed that AZ Permit/License holders can legally carry in.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Remember that a permit is still required by federal law to posses a firearm or ammo within 1000' of a school. The federal law exempts holders of state permits...

A small victory, but will make little difference in day to day life.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links