How do we know we won't freeze up? - Page 3

How do we know we won't freeze up?

This is a discussion on How do we know we won't freeze up? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I can understand freezing up. I'm basically a pacifist who is pragmatic now, due to having a family to protect. Luckily my pops is not ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I can understand freezing up. I'm basically a pacifist who is pragmatic now, due to having a family to protect. Luckily my pops is not a pacifist and taught me to shoot as a child. (which I will also do much to my wife's concern)

I, unfortunately, have been in a mass group fight as a teen. I froze right in the middle of it. Guys fighting all around me, I got confused, then terrified, and just plain froze on the spot. It felt like forever but probably on lasted seconds, till I got hit. I don't know, it just happens to us that aren't military or cops I guess.

If you have the mindset to Survive at all costs, you will not freeze. Make that decision in your mind now that you are worth more than some scumbag that would do you harm. Value your life more than his. Realize that you can live with regret, and rather that than your family and loved ones living without you, and the memory and anguish of how you died. Realize that your wife needs her husband, and your kids need a father...someone to raise, support, love, protect, and be there for them. Realize that you do not want to live with the guilt of knowing that you were helpless to defend your loved ones...be prepared to do all that you can for those that you love.

Once you think this through, it is not hard to decide that you'll do ANYTHING to be able to live longer, to kiss your wife one more time, to hold your children in your arms....whatever is dear to you personally.

The thought that someone would take that away from you for any reason should make it clear in your head that the agressor is evil. Let god sort em out.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    I'm not sure anyone that has not faced imminent danger can answer the question "Will I freeze up?", and even those who have faced this danger, who didn't freeze at the time, can say with confidence "No problem, I won't freeze up."

I do believe, once you've made the decision to carry, that MINDSET is one of the most valuable assets in your tool box. Then comes preparation and learning the tactics necessary thru training, to supplement the mental preparedness to deal with potential danger. Then developing upon and building the skills necessary to carry out what you've mentally prepared for and physically trained for. I believe those three combined will give you the confidence to act in an imminent danger situation.

Here is a quote that has been with me for a long while:

"I am only one, but I am one. I can not do everything, but I can do something. And because I can not do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do. What I can do I should do. And what I should do, by the Grace of God, I will do."

-Edward Everett Hale

JMO
    Words of wisdom.

How we react depends upon mindset and training. I've read stories time and again of seasoned veterans who froze. Be ready-mindset, be alert-situational awareness, be prepared-training. And then pray you never need it.
    For a man interested only in passin' through, he suddenly found himself entangled in a deadly struggle….

ad utrumque paratus

I'm far from a pacifist but I'm not a person who WANTS to kill another human being,I don't think any rational person is. That being said I have the mind set that I WILL defend my life and that of my loved ones by any and all means at my disposal. I've even discussed this with my priest and he concurred that self defense is not murder,under gods law. I feel if someone attacks me and tries to take my life I will defend myself to the best of my abilities. This thread is very informative and also gives a lot of food for thought,I'm glad i started it.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post
    I'm far from a pacifist but I'm not a person who WANTS to kill another human being,I don't think any rational person is. That being said I have the mind set that I WILL defend my life and that of my loved ones by any and all means at my disposal. I've even discussed this with my priest and he concurred that self defense is not murder,under gods law. I feel if someone attacks me and tries to take my life I will defend myself to the best of my abilities. This thread is very informative and also gives a lot of food for thought,I'm glad i started it.
    The object is not to kill, but to stop the threat. If the perp happens to die then so be it. I see that you are religious...the commandment translates to "thou shall not murder", it is not "thou shall not kill"...BIG difference.

Mindset, preperation, awareness, and knowledge are your greatest assets for survival.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Martial arts teaches discipline and respect, but it won't stop a bullet. A matial arts expert is dangerous, but only to himself. No matter how many turtle cartoons he's watched, he can't be faster than a bullet. He'll not win against an opponent who wants to shoot him. It's a nice sport, and he might be able to protect himself on a playground, but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike in VA View Post
    Martial arts teaches discipline and respect, but it won't stop a bullet. A matial arts expert is dangerous, but only to himself. No matter how many turtle cartoons he's watched, he can't be faster than a bullet. He'll not win against an opponent who wants to shoot him. It's a nice sport, and he might be able to protect himself on a playground, but that's about it.
    If you train at martial arts like it's a sport, then I agree with you. Otherwise, I heartily disagree. Not saying I can be faster than a bullet, of course, but I can probably be on you before you can draw if I start within 15 feet of you. And I guarantee you, after 25 years in martial arts, if I get my hands on you I am dangerous.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that having a gun, especially a handgun, lends you some kind of invulnerability. Again, you're the weapon, not your tool. A big advantage of real martial arts training is that it can't be taken away from you and used against you.

I carry a handgun because it gives me options, but it's not the only option.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    I'm not sure anyone that has not faced imminent danger can answer the question "Will I freeze up?", and even those who have faced this danger, who didn't freeze at the time, can say with confidence "No problem, I won't freeze up."

I do believe, once you've made the decision to carry, that MINDSET is one of the most valuable assets in your tool box. Then comes preparation and learning the tactics necessary thru training, to supplement the mental preparedness to deal with potential danger. Then developing upon and building the skills necessary to carry out what you've mentally prepared for and physically trained for. I believe those three combined will give you the confidence to act in an imminent danger situation.

Here is a quote that has been with me for a long while:

"I am only one, but I am one. I can not do everything, but I can do something. And because I can not do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do. What I can do I should do. And what I should do, by the Grace of God, I will do."

-Edward Everett Hale

JMO
    This says it all folks.

I've been in a few situations and come out on top. Would I freeze if put in those same situations again, I don't know to tell you the truth, maybe, one never knows.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

VIP Member
    I don’t see where training has a lot to do with fear and how we may react to it. However, I do realize that I don’t handle stress like I use to, but I’m confident of my will to live.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

This thread is a good one.

Training can help you identify a situation. Can help you correctly identify threats.

Training can help your mind-set & situational awareness.

I will concur with others; you are the weapon. Guns are just tools, the decisions get made between our ears.

My limited training taught to try to make these decisions, before they happen. Draw your line in the sand now, if you will. I would add that training, IMO, would help you with a certain level of confidence that you can win, at any and all cost. Thus reducing the chance of a 'freeze up' or panic, in a defensive situation
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Personally, I always fall back on Jeff Cooper basics. Knowing your "condition", and thinking about it even when no audible/visual threat exists eliminates any freeze-ups. I know it's old school, but it works for me. Google this and take it to heart if you've no formal training.
    I have never been tested. The one time I was the victim, I was unarmed. Which changed my mindset going forward. Now I am not a victim, I am a criminal's adversary.

You won't know until it has happened. There are some things that give some insight. The way that you have responded in the past to an auto accident, being in a fire, being in a fight will give you a clue. I have seen people either, Freeze, Panic or get very focused under extreme stress like that. Rest absolutely sure of one fact; unless you train you have nothing to fall back on. Most people freeze when they are confronted with an edged weapon, WRONG you gotta MOVE. Most people duck and'or run away from a projectile weapon (gun) WRONG you have to move laterally, return fire and attack. my 2 cents.

It's sad to know that so many men are frightened that they'll freeze up and not protect themselves. "We won't know until it happens," is an extremely weak mindset. That's exactly what's wrong with our nation--a reluctance to act, and a fear of violence. You had better know in advance what you are capable of. If you don't know, you'll hesitate at a moment that hesitation will cost you more than you've invested. People ought to consider the men that lived and died before them--men who didn't hesitate, because survival and freedom for themselves and others were at stake. Soldiers and police don't have to wait until the moment of truth to make such a decision. Make yours now, or rely on someone else to keep you safe.

i agree with many of the above... it really depends on your mindset prior to and during the situation. if you are aware of your surroundings prior to and the situation comes about it will be more like a escalating mindset and you will be more concious b/c it didn't just "happen" with no prior escalation. if the situation is the type that arises quickly and does not have an escalating effect then you will revert to training, whether it be millitary, LE, CCW Class, etc. It is always good to think and read about scenarios but the only way to really know is to actually have it happen to you. something like this could depend on how your day went, are you feeling sick? Tired? etc. one of the main concerns is if someone will actually be able to pull the trigger. Laws make the desicion very difficult, so knowing you states laws may help. In conclusion, knowledge, training, and a good thought proccess will all prevail.
    Glock 19, Trijicon Night Sights, Hogue Slip on Grip & 124gr Gold-Dots
    With an Adam's Holster Texas IWB Holster (Cowhide w/ Ostrich Trim)

VIP Member

Rebe Rebel is spot on

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRabbi View Post
    You won't know until it has happened. There are some things that give some insight. The way that you have responded in the past to an auto accident,
    Yes, and also the way you have responded in the past to avoid an auto accident.

I had a driving situation once in which I almost instantly knew I was going to be killed, and simultaneously determined that I was going to make sure it became a one car accident and no one else would get hurt. All decisions were made in nano-seconds or milliseconds, yet were somehow thought out in my mind--in retrospect it seemed like in slow motion.

Once I determined I was dead, I was able to do all the right things and actually in the end no accident occurred.

The thing is, you reach a point where you have nothing to lose and so you are able to react. So long as you think you have something to lose, you won't react.

In SD shootings the big thing that will cause hesitation is the rational fear that you will spend the rest of your life in jail. Only scenario based threat training will overcome that, I suspect, and unfortunately have not had that opportunity.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links