How do we know we won't freeze up?

This is a discussion on How do we know we won't freeze up? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering this same thing about those of us including myself,how do we know if lord forbid the time ever comes that we need ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How do we know we won't freeze up?

I was wondering this same thing about those of us including myself,how do we know if lord forbid the time ever comes that we need our side arm we won't become frozen? Do any of you guys here feel as I do that while training is obviously important,mind set and will are also as important elements of not freezing in those desperate moments?

I've been shooting guns since I was 12 and I'm 31 now I know this isn't that the same thing as training like at front sight or the like,but I have good shooting skills and I believe the proper mind set to win and survive period. All of this being said I do plan to attend a self defense course as soon as my finances allow.

I also practice drawing constantly with my carry gun and rig to keep my muscle memory up,and I've gone over countless scenarios in my head on self defense. So at the end of the day for those of use who defensive carry everyday how far does ones mind set go in determining if we'll freeze in that desperate moment?

Do you guys feel like people freeze at the worst moment due to lack of training,or poor mind set? As is in they don't practice enough with their side arm and they don't have the proper mind set going into it? So I guess I'm saying that given I've never been to a school like gunsite yet given what I've stated here am I prepared for a confrontation?
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Practice doesn't always make perfect but it helps a heckuva lot! I had asked myself that very same question once upon a time until it was answered for me. I wont go into detail, but instinct kicked in and it was devoid of any emotion. No fear, excitement, adrinaline, nothing! It was merely a reaction. The aftermath, well thats something entirely different. Nausea, emotionally draining and I didn't even have to pull the trigger.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    its a great question...and food for thought...

Encounter Reaction

I always try to be aware of my surroundings!

I saw and had time to react. Doing the confrontation I did not hesitate. My wife kept me from killing the assailant. If my wife had not said "Don't shoot!", I would have shot him. I stated "You don't have to die today." in a calm clear voice. Afterward, I was so nervous and jumpy that I could not drive, talk or sit still.
    The Second Amendment is about the right to be able to protect oneself from all who would do us harm including Legislators!

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone Else's blood, don't care if I go out the same way

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Hopefully your training will make it a reflex rather than a response. A reflex is instinctive; a response is thought about.

Panic does funny things. As a former SCUBA instructor, I taught students over and over how to respond to dive emergencies, yet at the first sign of trouble, I almost always saw panic override training. That's why lost divers are usually found on the bottom--weight belt still strapped on, despite being trained to release it--instead of on the surface, shaken but alive.

It's so easy to say (or boast) that "I'd shoot in a heartbeat" or something to that effect. But when it actually happens, most will hesitate, reluctant to probably end someone's life. Military members often go throught the same thing the first time in combat. I think it's human nature.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Because I've been tested before. I didn't freeze up then....thing is...When I was in those situations I didn't think, I didn't think about how scared I was, or should be. I didn't think about how it might turn out, no thought...it was pure reaction and mindfull determination to comeout on top, as injury free, and safe as possible. Unfortanty I wasn't injury free....and the scars keep it all pretty fresh.

After the situation I thought things out...still do to this day, how to better refine my actions and look for possible signs to completely avoid any of those kind of events from happening again.

I sometimes think that it's out there..in books, video's, and forums that one should freeze up, or one should be scared, or one should feel a certain way. Like it's subtuly embedded that one should, feel, think, act in a certain way when in crisis. meh...

Not in my expeirences.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    "Afterward, I was so nervous and jumpy that I could not drive, talk or sit still." + 1

Shaking like Howard Cossell!

The thing is with me as I'm sure with a lot of us here I'm always or try to always be aware of my surroundings and those around me. I believe I've avoided a few encounters in my life, because of simply being aware or noticing something wasn't right or someone was acting strange or just out of place.

All that said I'm a firm believer in the statement "the best gunfight is the one your not in". I will do eveything in my power to avoid a conflict. Keep the replies coming guys I appreciate the insight so far.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post
    All that said I'm a firm believer in the statement "the best gunfight is the one your not in". I.

Words of wisdom.

As an LEO in the military and civilian I had sights on more than a few suspects,and knew that if they made one wrong move they weren't gonna have a good day.Haven't needed to shoot anybody yet and hopefully never will,but the worlds not getting safer
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post
    Do any of you guys here feel as I do that while training is obviously important,mind set and will are also as important elements of not freezing in those desperate moments?

So at the end of the day for those of use who defensive carry everyday how far does ones mind set go in determining if we'll freeze in that desperate moment?

Do you guys feel like people freeze at the worst moment due to lack of training,or poor mind set? As is in ...... they don't have the proper mind set going into it?

I'm not sure anyone that has not faced imminent danger can answer the question "Will I freeze up?", and even those who have faced this danger, who didn't freeze at the time, can say with confidence "No problem, I won't freeze up."

I do believe, once you've made the decision to carry, that MINDSET is one of the most valuable assets in your tool box. Then comes preparation and learning the tactics necessary thru training, to supplement the mental preparedness to deal with potential danger. Then developing upon and building the skills necessary to carry out what you've mentally prepared for and physically trained for. I believe those three combined will give you the confidence to act in an imminent danger situation.

Here is a quote that has been with me for a long while:

"I am only one, but I am one. I can not do everything, but I can do something. And because I can not do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do. What I can do I should do. And what I should do, by the Grace of God, I will do."

-Edward Everett Hale

JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I should say that the only "shooting" I've been through was salt rock being shot @ me cause I was on a persons land fishing in a pond. Most recently having an encounter with some wild dogs..that I had to put down via my SKS.

The other encounters were what came with the territory of growing up on the South side of Chicago, and then finishing my teens and twenties on the South side of Houston.

Distinguished Member Array maxwell's Avatar
    Practice and get as much training as possible.
    THE ONLY LOVE THAT MONEY CAN BUY IS A DOG

We never do know.

But I believe if you train, you are much more likely to fall in the category of those folks we constantly reaqd about he suddeenly became heroes. "I'm no hero, I just did what I had to do." "My training just kicked in." We have read that countless times over the years.

• Serious training and meaningful visualization tends to lead to performance.
    • Lack of training and living in a Peter Pan world tends to lead to vapor lock.

Senior Moderator
    We don't, we hope that training and mindset over rides fear, but fear is a mindkiller if it is not controled.

As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle said "The well of courage can be depleted if you have to draw too much or too fast from it without giving time for it to be replenished."
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links