Gun safety rules - she stumped me

This is a discussion on Gun safety rules - she stumped me within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been shooting for years and since I was young we always lived by the gun safety rules Treat all weapons as if they ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun safety rules - she stumped me

Gun safety rules - she stumped me

I have been shooting for years and since I was young we always lived by the gun safety rules

Treat all weapons as if they were loaded, never point a weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot, keep weapon on safe until you are ready to fire, keep your finger off of the trigger until you are ready to fire, Always point the gun in a safe direction.

So I was drilling this stuff into my girls head since she has never been around guns till she got with me. I was showing her how to clear the gun and inspect it. Then (UNloaded) I put the gun into my IWB holster at about 3:30/4. She then asks me "since when is your butt a safe direction?!?!" I did not know what to say.....

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    You should be able to holster without covering yourself. This generally involves sticking your hip out a bit so that you can cant the gun away from your body while holstering. It may look a bit silly, but if you did somehow manage to hit the bang switch while doing it, the bullet would hit the floor and not your butt, thigh, knee, calf, or any other piece of tender flesh.

Unfortunately, a lot of people do exactly the opposite---they point the muzzle inwards towards the holster mouth, and hence towards their pelvis. This is, to put it mildly, NOT GOOD.

Same for drawing. With a little geometry on your side, you'll draw without ever covering your legs.

Since one of our club's IDPA shooters managed to put a round through his leg while holstering (he was smart enough to do this at a match away from out club), we know regularly see somewhat exaggerated holstering posture around the club. This is not a bad thing.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I think there's an implied "when you're handling it" after "always point in a safe direction". Guns don't magically go off in holsters or cases or safes.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I'm confused... was she talking about the act of you holstering it or when it was already in the holster?
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Dude, you may be wearing your holster WAY wrong if it's pointing at your butt when holstered! The "B" in IWB means BAND not BUTT!

Quote Originally Posted by keester View Post
    I think there's an implied "when you're handling it" after "always point in a safe direction". Guns don't magically go off in holsters or cases or safes.
    That was my response to her statment but it did not seem like she was ok with that. She followed it with then why treat it carefully one time and not others. she is trying everything she can to convince me to not carry. I told her I plan to carry everyday when I get my CHL!

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    I'm confused... was she talking about the act of you holstering it or when it was already in the holster?
    Holstered. Its not pointing directly at my rear but if it did go off in some freak failure of the fireing pin block it would graze me or just miss. What helps me out is the fact that I am shaped like grimmus and my fat roll angles it away from me :)

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    You should be able to holster without covering yourself. This generally involves sticking your hip out a bit so that you can cant the gun away from your body while holstering. It may look a bit silly, but if you did somehow manage to hit the bang switch while doing it, the bullet would hit the floor and not your butt, thigh, knee, calf, or any other piece of tender flesh.
    That is kinda what I do for that reason! But good point to the other readers

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Okay, I see the issue now. She is one of those people who thinks guns can just randomly go off by themselves...

Yes, that is a different set of concerns, but it comes down to accepting the assumption that a well-designed, well-maintained pistol can only go off if somebody's booger hook gets on the bang switch.

In the case of a double-action firearm, this is pretty obvious---the hammer only goes back to cock the weapon if the trigger gets pulled, of course. For a single-action gun in Condition 1, there is a theoretical possibility of the safety failing (or becoming disengaged), the sear failing, and the hammer intercept notch failing, all resulting in an unintended bang with no human interaction.

In that case, the easy explanation is to fall back on the explanation that the safety rules are rules for safe gun handling---the rules apply to people, not to guns sitting all by their lonesome.

After that, you are down to comparing guns to other everyday objects, like kitchen knives, lawn mowers, and late-model Toyotas. Yes, merely having them around invites some level of risk associated with mechanical failure, but we live our lives anyway by minimizing the risk we add to the situation personally through our own actions.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Bingo! If I try to tell her that it wont happen she says yea and it wont happen either if you dont have the gun on you. I guess Ill just have to carry and tell her to get over it :)

Quote Originally Posted by tubular031 View Post
    Then (UNloaded) I put the gun into my IWB holster at about 3:30/4.

She then asks me "since when is your butt a safe direction?!?!"
    Yup. This is the one problem I have with having pistols without a manual safety. It bothers me a bit, particularly since I am not that good with reholstering easily. Can do it, just not easily.

If something is forgotten, it's a ND waiting to happen.

Two possibilities: (a) Holster up with the gun already in the holster; or (b) don't have a cartridge in the chamber when holstering up. I choose the first option.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "She then asks me "since when is your butt a safe direction?!?!" I did not know what to say....."

Because the really important stuff is on the front?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Whatever you do don't let her see a smart carry
    Thanks,
    Rock

Quote Originally Posted by rockusaf View Post
    Whatever you do don't let her see a smart carry
    But, but, but ... that's nuts. Don't want to be doin' that. She'll go ape.

It'll be hard to explain and square with the safety guidelines, that's for sure. That, and the whole appendix carry concept.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

You forgot "always know what is beyond your intended target"
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Administrator
    If you're up on your second floor in your home and you are holstering your firearm - since when would the tops of the heads of people walking around on your first floor be a safe direction?

Something for you to think about unless you have concrete floors in your home.

Just always keep your finger out of the trigger guard and off the trigger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links