Driving to Disney World

This is a discussion on Driving to Disney World within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am planning a road trip with the family to Disney world that entails stopping in Baltimore for a couple nights on the way down, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driving to Disney World

Driving to Disney World

I am planning a road trip with the family to Disney world that entails stopping in Baltimore for a couple nights on the way down, and then stopping in TN for a few days on the way back.

I've done the research, and I know my CCW license is only honored by FL and TN, but not MD. I looked up MD law, and it says I can transport my gun through as long as its unloaded in a locked container in my trunk. Question is... since I'm stopping for a few nights does that still count, as long as I keep it unloaded and locked? What about taking it in the hotel room with me?

From what I understand, carrying unloaded and locked is pretty much the normal requirement for interstate travel, but figuring out the nuances in between start and finish is a heck of a lot harder traveling by car than by air.

2. Remove Ads

My understanding is that it is OK for you to take it into your hotel room. I personally would not leave it in the car no matter what.

When are you going?

I've had my car broken into twice before while parked in major metropolitan parking garages, so I have no intention of leaving anything of value in my car ever again. Especially not a gun.

If I can't do so legally, I'd rather not bring it at all since it won't do me any good in the trunk of my car for 80% of my vacation.

Look on the bright side, you still have it for 20% of the time!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Going to Mouse Town? Use the gun to rob a bank so you'll have enough $ to buy a soda. I can't take standing in lines to get in line.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I don't know that a couple of nights in town qualifies as "just passing through." The term "just passing through" comes up occasionally when discussing the FOPA. However, I see nothing about hotel stays in the actual statute so I am not sure where this hotel stuff comes from. All I see is very strict language discussing the right to transport as it relates to the vehicle one is travelling in.

18 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    The below comes from the Maryland State Police web site. It also makes no mention of stopping at a hotel, nor does it say anything about the firearm being in some lawful possession status other than when it is in the vehicle:

Q. Can I legally transport firearms interstate?

A. Yes, under Title 18, Section 926A, of the United States Code, a person
    who is not prohibited from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving
    a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose
    from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to
    any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during
    such transportation the firearm is unloaded, neither the firearm nor any
    ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible
    from the passenger compartment. In the case the vehicle does not have a
    compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or
    ammunition shall be contained in a locked compartment other than the
    glove compartment or console.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Unloaded in Maryland means the magazine needs to be unloaded also. Remove the mag from the pistol and keep the pistol in a locked case. Keep the mag and ammo seperate in another locked case. The Maryland State police are quite the group of "antis"... don't mess with them.

I lived in Maryland almost 50 years, and I had a rarely obtained permit to carry... which makes me a professional hoop jumper.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    If you make it to Disney safely, then you are halfway there. Once at Disney, be very aware of the tram bus drivers!
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

After paying for the family's entrance fees and food for the day, be sure to report the robbery to the local PD.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Bandolero View Post
    The below comes from the Maryland State Police web site. It also makes no mention of stopping at a hotel, nor does it say anything about the firearm being in some lawful possession status other than when it is in the vehicle:
    There in lies my confusion... I suppose asked another way, am I prohibited from having a gun in my possession as a non-resident if I am keeping it unloaded in that same locked container?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "In the case the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked compartment other than the glove compartment or console."

I'm confused here. If my vehicle does not have a "compartment separate frm the driver's compartment" (my SUV?), where would I have a compartment other than the console or glove box?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dstringf View Post
    There in lies my confusion... I suppose asked another way, am I prohibited from having a gun in my possession as a non-resident if I am keeping it unloaded in that same locked container?
    No. You can legally transport your gun in Maryland, just so long as you follow their rules. Unloaded and locked. Take your gun case along, put a trigger lock on the gun, lock it in the case and lock the ammo up seperately and you should have no problems.

I'm confused here. If my vehicle does not have a "compartment separate frm the driver's compartment" (my SUV?), where would I have a compartment other than the console or glove box?
    In Vans and SUVs, it is generally accpted that having the gun and ammo out of normal reach is sufficient so long as it is in a locked container. The cargo area is OK.

The idea is that you don't have ready access to a firearm.

Lead Moderator
    To my way of thinking you are really in a gray area.

Maryland law is pretty specific about transport, and specifies where you can transport (Pretty much from home to shooting range or repair shop) unless you are a collector. That's why most folks would recommend just driving straight through the State.

When I go to the range it's a planned straight shot to and from... No stopping for a deathburger at Mickey D's or anything like that.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    To my way of thinking you are really in a gray area.

Maryland law is pretty specific about transport, and specifies where you can transport (Pretty much from home to shooting range or repair shop) unless you are a collector. That's why most folks would recommend just driving straight through the State.

When I go to the range it's a planned straight shot to and from... No stopping for a deathburger at Mickey D's or anything like that.
    No helpful comments, just wanted to say... that's crazy.
    I'm glad I live in the South..sorry guy's
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by dstringf View Post
    My sense of the law is that once you leave the vehicle, and thus the protection of FOPA, then prevailing Maryland law would apply:

4-203. Wearing, carrying, or transporting handgun.

(a) Prohibited.-

(1) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a person may not:

(i) wear, carry, or transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, on or about the person;

(ii) wear, carry, or knowingly transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, in a vehicle traveling on a road or parking lot generally used by the public, highway, waterway, or airway of the State;

(iii) violate item (i) or (ii) of this paragraph while on public school property in the State; or

(iv) violate item (i) or (ii) of this paragraph with the deliberate purpose of injuring or killing another person.

(2) There is a rebuttable presumption that a person who transports a handgun under paragraph (1)(ii) of this subsection transports the handgun knowingly.

(b) Exceptions.- This section does not prohibit:

(1) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a person who is on active assignment engaged in law enforcement, is authorized at the time and under the circumstances to wear, carry, or transport the handgun as part of the person's official equipment, and is:

(i) a law enforcement official of the United States, the State, or a county or city of the State;

(ii) a member of the armed forces of the United States or of the National Guard on duty or traveling to or from duty;

(iii) a law enforcement official of another state or subdivision of another state temporarily in this State on official business;

(iv) a correctional officer or warden of a correctional facility in the State;

(v) a sheriff or full-time assistant or deputy sheriff of the State; or

(vi) a temporary or part-time sheriff's deputy;

(2) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a person to whom a permit to wear, carry, or transport the handgun has been issued under Title 5, Subtitle 3 of the Public Safety Article;

(3) the carrying of a handgun on the person or in a vehicle while the person is transporting the handgun to or from the place of legal purchase or sale, or to or from a bona fide repair shop, or between bona fide residences of the person, or between the bona fide residence and place of business of the person, if the business is operated and owned substantially by the person if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

(4) the wearing, carrying, or transporting by a person of a handgun used in connection with an organized military activity, a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, a Department of Natural Resources-sponsored firearms and hunter safety class, trapping, or a dog obedience training class or show, while the person is engaged in, on the way to, or returning from that activity if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

(5) the moving by a bona fide gun collector of part or all of the collector's gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

(6) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a person on real estate that the person owns or leases or where the person resides or within the confines of a business establishment that the person owns or leases;

(7) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a supervisory employee:
    (i) in the course of employment;
    (ii) within the confines of the business establishment in which the supervisory employee is employed; and
    (iii) when so authorized by the owner or manager of the business establishment; or

(8) the carrying or transporting of a signal pistol or other visual distress signal approved by the United States Coast Guard in a vessel on the waterways of the State or, if the signal pistol or other visual distress signal is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case, in a vehicle.
    4-201. Definitions.

(a) In general.- In this subtitle the following words have the meanings indicated.

(c) Handgun.-

(1) "Handgun" means a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed on the person.

(2) "Handgun" includes a short-barreled shotgun and a short-barreled rifle.

(3) "Handgun" does not include a shotgun, rifle, or antique firearm.
    Maryland also has a 20-round max on magazine capacity. So stay away from Happy Sticks when passing through.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links