Pulled over in PA - Page 2

Pulled over in PA

This is a discussion on Pulled over in PA within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think that is reasonable. He was simply doing what he felt he needed to do in order to feel safe and in control. It ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pulled over in PA

I think that is reasonable. He was simply doing what he felt he needed to do in order to feel safe and in control. It was late and it was dark and he was in a bad neighborhood. He had no idea who you were or what your intentions were. All in all it seems this was a textbook stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltyke View Post
    Well, if you don't inform and the officer discovers it, you might be even more embarrassed by laying face down, eating dirt, while being handcuffed - and then draped across the trunk of the patrol car while being THOROUGHLY searched. You WILL avoid what happened to the OP, but you'll jump right ahead to "Step 3".
    If you don't inform in a state where you are not required too and the above happens, you have the makings of a nice lawsuit.

And I'm sorry I don't agree with your position, but informing doesn't give the officer the right to put you against the car and frisk you if it's a simple traffic stop. He may ask for your weapon to feel safer (a holstered weapon that remains holstered is safer), but to remove you from the car and frisk you is going to far. I personally would file a complaint and depending on how I was treated during the stop and the complaint, may contact a lawyer.
    http://www.saf.org/ --- Fighting for American's Gun Rights
    http://GeorgiaCarry.org --- Fighting for Georgian's Gun Rights.
    http://Georgiapacking.org --- Discussion of Georgia Gun Laws.

When my son was 20-21 he had a night job across town, and occasionally got stopped by police on the way home. Our town has a lot of gang problems, he was driving our old car which is a model favored by gang members, and had tricked it out with some street glow -- all of which made him even more suspicious.

I think cops look for signs that are often seen in association with criminal activity and look more closely at those drivers; which makes sense to me.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

You've Got Carpet TAGGED
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

If you were a 45 year old gray haired typical dude he'd of sent you on your way. Im not saying he was "wrong" to do so but it's sad that you're treated like a criminal because you're young with a cwp.

I'm also 21 and expect the same. Just imagine if you were black. Lol

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    IMHO - after you informed him he could have just requested your license and gun for safekeeping and skipped the patdown B.S.

But he may have reverted to his training because it was out of the ordinary for him....
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

DM2
    I've never been stopped by an officer in my 30 yr. driving history, but I fully expect to be disarmed if I'm stopped now that I have my CPL license. Hopefully, my driving habits will continue to spare me being in this situation, but you never know.

We are required to inform here in MI if we are "in possession" of a firearm. The fact that you have a license to carry is tied to your plate number here. So the officer already knows that the owner of the vehicle may be armed if in fact the owner is the one in the vehicle.

I've read a lot here about people's experiences with being stopped and my feeling is that, I want the officer to feel safe and not threatened during my encounters with him/her. As long as they are courteous and as respectful as I would be, then we will not have a problem.

BTW, my practice when driving, is to assume I can't turn red on right until I consciously look for the sign. Sometimes I've pulled too far ahead to see what the sign says. In those situations, the impatient drivers behind me just have to wait until the light is green again.

Sounds to me like to you did just fine and that the officer was just doing his job and insuring that he made it home to his family one more time. And, in the end, isn't that really what we all want.
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C Bennett View Post
    NOPE, he did what ANY REASONABLE officer would have done to protect himself..ID have and done the same thing and HAVE done the same thing on a stop. IMO when you decide to CC if you happen to get stopped expect something like that to happen EVERY time, ALL officers ive talked to and worked with want to be in CONTROL of the CC weapon during a stop. I am also in PA and know this is probably gonna happen if im stopped....(because I will tell him also that im Cing) but its just part of the territory IMO. Oh and it does not matter where you get pulled over id have the gun in my possession with ME getting it not you handing it over..but id be courteous while doing it not a ass.

The only people when I worked on the PD that I didnt ask for their guns were guys that were off duty cops/hacks/ could show me credentials..and then I still told them to retain their weapon but keep hands in plain sight(on the dash/wheel).

This is what ANY reasonable officer would do?^^^^(in bold)^^^^
    So , let me get this straight.
    All the officers who aknowledge that you are CC'ing, and DO NOT disarm someone are unreasonable.
    To me that sounds like the officer , after being informed by a LAWFUL permitholder, that he is CC 'ing, is recognizing that he is in the presence or a responsible individual, who inadverdantly made a mistake insofar as a trafffic violation.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    - Dr. Seuss
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    All the officers who aknowledge that you are CC'ing, and DO NOT disarm someone are unreasonable.
    To me that sounds like the officer , after being informed by a LAWFUL permitholder, that he is CC 'ing, is recognizing that he is in the presence or a responsible individual, who inadverdantly made a mistake insofar as a trafffic violation.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    - Dr. Seuss
    ive not met a officer in my years that DIDNT disarm someone thats said they were carrying with a permit if thats what you want to know. so IMO its a moot point from my experience. so yes its reasonable for a officer to keep in his possession for the duration of a stop the CC gun and how he goes about it is up to him...ive had officers say they have asked for the gun..disarmed the guy themselves just depends on the officer. now im not gonna act like I have 20 years on the job I worked as a Patrol officer for 4 years B4 they laid us all off and hired part time officers so they didnt have to pay them benefits but thats my 4 years of street/road duty and what I saw.learned. And yes id get the gun also if it was a lawful CC holder while he is stopped.

VIP Member
    I had a similar stop once.

I didn't know it but my tail light fuse had blown at night on the Interstate and I was pulled over for that. I did have my permit, but not CC when stopped. I told the trooper that I had a permit, but was not armed. He patted me down anyway, he was very cautious and very professional, no attitude whatsoever. No ticket issued.

We were on an isolated stretch of Interstate, at night, in the middle of nowhere. A few days prior a suspect had shot a city pd in the face while being questioned. I'm sure that was on the troopers mind that night.

BTW I was about 55 years old at the time, clean-cut, just regular business-looking guy. After we had discussed the tail light and decided for me to drive the rest of the way with the flashers on, he and I talked guns for about ten minutes before we left.

I didn't mind the pat down, he didn't know me and I'm sure he wanted to get off his shift safely that night.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

NOPE, he did what ANY REASONABLE officer would have done to protect himself..ID have and done the same thing and HAVE done the same thing on a stop. IMO when you decide to CC if you happen to get stopped expect something like that to happen EVERY time, ALL officers ive talked to and worked with want to be in CONTROL of the CC weapon during a stop. I am also in PA and know this is probably gonna happen if im stopped....(because I will tell him also that im Cing) but its just part of the territory IMO. Oh and it does not matter where you get pulled over id have the gun in my possession with ME getting it not you handing it over..but id be courteous while doing it not a ass.

The only people when I worked on the PD that I didnt ask for their guns were guys that were off duty cops/hacks/ could show me credentials..and then I still told them to retain their weapon but keep hands in plain sight(on the dash/wheel).
    That's....disgusting...

Essentially you are saying "We're going to treat you like a criminal until you can prove you are not."...

If I got treated like that more than once, I'd quit informing. I inform out of courtesy, not because I have to. If a person was really intent on doing an officer harm, would they tell you that they have a gun?

I'm glad that, mostly, out west the officers don't have this kind of attitude.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    To me that sounds like the officer , after being informed by a LAWFUL permitholder, that he is CC 'ing, is recognizing that he is in the presence of a responsible individual, who inadverdantly made a mistake insofar as a trafffic violation.
    All that card tells the cop is that you've met the requirements of the state to carry a concealed handgun. It is NOT a guarantee that you are responsible, that you didn't just commit some heinous crime, or that you won't suddenly decide that you can't possibly get another ticket or go to jail, or any of 10 bazillion other reasons people shoot cops. While I may not have handled that stop the same way, the officer was well within his rights to do things the way he did. Consider things from his perspective - He doesn't know you, you're a guy with a gun in the middle of the night in a bad part of town, you ran a red light - a violation often commited by drivers under the influence of alcohol or drugs - and your CCL doesn't change any of that. Remember, he goes to work with the same attitude as everyone here - to get home safe at the end of the day - if disarming the OP for the duration of the stop without violating his rights helps to get him home safe then it's all good as far as I'm concerned.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

I have only been pulled over once while carrying. I immediatly informed the officer that I had a CCW and was armed. He looked at my permit along with my DL and insurance, and asked what I was carrying and to SEE it. I had my G30 IWB, so I lifted my shirt up so the officer could see. He said "ok, just don't touch it until we're done here". The officer didn't seem overly concerned that I was carrying, and didn't give me a ticket!

Unless the Officer has stopped you a few times in the past where he has a pretty good idea how your going to respond during the stop, he'll take your weapon. He just wants to get home after his shift is over, he probably has at least one friend who did not make it home after his shift.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links