Pulled over in PA - Page 3

Pulled over in PA

This is a discussion on Pulled over in PA within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; FWIW I have been pulled over several times when not carrying. I get off work late at night, due to my place of employment's draconian ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pulled over in PA

FWIW I have been pulled over several times when not carrying. I get off work late at night, due to my place of employment's draconian no weapons policy I don't have so much as a pocket knife in the truck. Though the officer can see I have a CCW when my plates are run, I have never had anyone ask if I am carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    That's....disgusting...

Essentially you are saying "We're going to treat you like a criminal until you can prove you are not."...
    Agreed... Basically it just proves more to my point after reading countless posts and news articles from the lands of the high and mighties, that you're always treated as a criminal once you move north of the Virginia border. I've never had this experience anywhere, although I haven't been pulled over in PA yet...knock on wood...

Glad the OP was able to move on his merry way though. Next time just don't get caught speeding or whatever it was and no problems.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

ok, i get this one a lot from friends as a question, and speaking as a LEO, i'll tell you why he did what he did, and to sy that you are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT in informing him.

he asked you out so that he could, in front of the camera, retrieve the firearm in a manner that is not dangerous to either party. in doing so, when the firearm was retrieved, it was not passed through a window potentially flagging anyone, and he retained positive control of the firearm the whole time. we tend to get antsy when anyone makes quick or sudden movements, especially after being informed. placing you outside the car allowed the caera to view the episode so that there were no questions if something were to happen. the pat down was to ensure nothing else remained for him to worry about, and is consistent with the preliminary frisk during a stop. no worries, you both handled it like pros.

something else you might do when placed in a similar circumstance is to keep both hands on the wheel at the top (11 and 1 oclock) and inform him of the presence and location of the firearm, or hand him your license WITH your CCW, which is also acceptable if you don't want to announce it in a "bad" area. during the approach to the vehicle, there is always a heightened awareness and pucker factor when you see someone frantically looking for papers, licenses, or registrations. remember, we don't know what exactly is going on as we can't see through the B and C pillars, the seat, or you. after informing (and again, you SHOULD) if he asks you out, announce what you're going to do before doing it. "i'm going to open the door with my left hand." and then slowly do it. if he asks you to hand it to him (he shouldn't, for reasons above) and you're right handed, "i'm going to open my shirt and hand you my pistol with my left hand" or something, then do so slowly. but the request to step out of the car is normal, non intrusive (although embarassing to you and potentially him, as he knows you're trying to do the right thing) and follow directions. signing the ticket first is okay too - after you've complied completely, there's no further reason for him to keep your property, and you've not been a pain. this paragraph is exceptionally handy when dealing with rookie cops, as they're an excitable bunch by nature. i guarantee you this - the way you handled that situation will remind him of the positives of a responsible gun owner and carry permit holder. in fact, i'd lay odds he might remember it and not show up to court...

if he asks if anything is present in the car to be concerned about, and *that's* when you remember the gun, it should still go well, but he's gonna wonder what else might have been overlooked. by announcing first, you've put him in charge to control that situation, and he's no longer reactionary - this is good for everyone involved. reactive attitudes breed tension. tension is bad.

again, very well done, you handled it like a pro.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined" ~Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by n3ss View Post
    If you were a 45 year old gray haired typical dude he'd of sent you on your way.
    Hey... that's PROFILING!!! SOMEONE CALL THE ACLU! WHINE TO OBAMA!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I cannot abide this idea that removing the gun is in the interest of safety. If we want to be safe. Leave it alone where it is; in the possession of the owner.

LE is unsafe, inherently. All this unnecessary gun handling is unsafe.

"The officer may retain the weapon, so he can get home safe that night".

Same argument by gun control advocates. In the interest of 'safety' we are going to restrict your arms.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by ScotWarrior View Post
    ok, i get this one a lot from friends as a question, and speaking as a LEO, i'll tell you why he did what he did, and to sy that you are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT in informing him.

he asked you out so that he could, in front of the camera, retrieve the firearm in a manner that is not dangerous to either party. in doing so, when the firearm was retrieved, it was not passed through a window potentially flagging anyone, and he retained positive control of the firearm the whole time. we tend to get antsy when anyone makes quick or sudden movements, especially after being informed. placing you outside the car allowed the caera to view the episode so that there were no questions if something were to happen. the pat down was to ensure nothing else remained for him to worry about, and is consistent with the preliminary frisk during a stop. no worries, you both handled it like pros.

something else you might do when placed in a similar circumstance is to keep both hands on the wheel at the top (11 and 1 oclock) and inform him of the presence and location of the firearm, or hand him your license WITH your CCW, which is also acceptable if you don't want to announce it in a "bad" area. during the approach to the vehicle, there is always a heightened awareness and pucker factor when you see someone frantically looking for papers, licenses, or registrations. remember, we don't know what exactly is going on as we can't see through the B and C pillars, the seat, or you. after informing (and again, you SHOULD) if he asks you out, announce what you're going to do before doing it. "i'm going to open the door with my left hand." and then slowly do it. if he asks you to hand it to him (he shouldn't, for reasons above) and you're right handed, "i'm going to open my shirt and hand you my pistol with my left hand" or something, then do so slowly. but the request to step out of the car is normal, non intrusive (although embarassing to you and potentially him, as he knows you're trying to do the right thing) and follow directions. signing the ticket first is okay too - after you've complied completely, there's no further reason for him to keep your property, and you've not been a pain. this paragraph is exceptionally handy when dealing with rookie cops, as they're an excitable bunch by nature. i guarantee you this - the way you handled that situation will remind him of the positives of a responsible gun owner and carry permit holder. in fact, i'd lay odds he might remember it and not show up to court...

if he asks if anything is present in the car to be concerned about, and *that's* when you remember the gun, it should still go well, but he's gonna wonder what else might have been overlooked. by announcing first, you've put him in charge to control that situation, and he's no longer reactionary - this is good for everyone involved. reactive attitudes breed tension. tension is bad.

again, very well done, you handled it like a pro.

Thanks for the LEO perspective, it's good to hear someone chime in that is on the other end of the spectrum. Hopefully he shares a similar mindset as you in this paragraph.

If you were a 45 year old gray haired typical dude he'd of sent you on your way. Im not saying he was "wrong" to do so but it's sad that you're treated like a criminal because you're young with a cwp.

I'm also 21 and expect the same. Just imagine if you were black. Lol
    or imagine being Arab

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Unless the Officer has stopped you a few times in the past where he has a pretty good idea how your going to respond during the stop, he'll take your weapon. He just wants to get home after his shift is over, he probably has at least one friend who did not make it home after his shift.
    Anecdotal evidence indicates that in Ohio, it's unusual to be disarmed by police for a mere traffic violation.

Sounds like everything went well in the long run...Property was return,and a ticket...Well next time wait till green...
    XDM 40cal bitoneXD40SC BitoneBersa 380.
    NRA RSO
    NRA EPL Member
    "I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
    I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world."

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I cannot abide this idea that removing the gun is in the interest of safety. If we want to be safe. Leave it alone where it is; in the possession of the owner.
    My concern would be if the LEO could safely handle the firearm in question. Just because he carries one firearm doesn't make him an expert with ALL firearms. In the holster is a lot safer place than handling it back and forth.

If you were a 45 year old gray haired typical dude he'd of sent you on your way. Im not saying he was "wrong" to do so but it's sad that you're treated like a criminal because you're young with a cwp.

I'm also 21 and expect the same. Just imagine if you were black. Lol
    I 100% agree with n3ss: Your young age was the trigger for this, as well as the late time of night. (But I'll trade ya my 54 years for your 21 years, and that way this won't ever happen to you again!? )

-Bill

VIP Member
    Well, I'm sure none of us wants that experience but bottom line, it was the officer's call to make. Hopefully he was polite about it. If you were in his position, place, time and had his knowledge regarding crimes in that area etc., training and experience... chances are, you'd have done the same thing! It's not personal, really.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by C Bennett View Post
    ive not met a officer in my years that DIDNT disarm someone thats said they were carrying with a permit if thats what you want to know. so IMO its a moot point from my experience. so yes its reasonable for a officer to keep in his possession for the duration of a stop the CC gun and how he goes about it is up to him...ive had officers say they have asked for the gun..disarmed the guy themselves just depends on the officer. now im not gonna act like I have 20 years on the job I worked as a Patrol officer for 4 years B4 they laid us all off and hired part time officers so they didnt have to pay them benefits but thats my 4 years of street/road duty and what I saw.learned. And yes id get the gun also if it was a lawful CC holder while he is stopped.
    it is wrong to pull someone out of a car unless they do not have a LTCF, why pull the out if they have a LTCF? is it illegal to sit in a car with your gun holstered?

i got pulled over twice i never informed the officer i was packing, why should i waste more time and make it a hassle i saved the officer time wasted in taxpayers money then go thru the unholster your weapon get out of the car.
    Last edited by SIXTO; April 12th, 2010 at 12:07 AM.
    Bushmaster XM15 E2S Shorty
    Walther P99 .40 S&W
    Romanian WASR GP 10/63
    Remington model 700 30-06
    Savage Model 62 .22lr
    Glock 19 gen 3 TALO

I consider myself a "reasonable" officer, And while I was not there & I feel he did nothing wrong. Unless I got a vibe from the driver I would not have pulled him out or taken his firearm on a "simple" traffic stop. Again he did nothing wrong and I was not there so I'm not judging his actions, its just my personal policy to not disarm on a "simple" stop.

That being said if your told me your packing something really cool..You may just have to hand it over for further inspection...J/K

BTW It is alway better in MHO to inform.
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links