Pulled over in PA

This is a discussion on Pulled over in PA within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lesson Learned... Next time do not tell him you are armed, unless you have to. I will not inform unless I have to or are ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pulled over in PA

Lesson Learned...

Next time do not tell him you are armed, unless you have to.

I will not inform unless I have to or are asked.
    02PSD4ME

2. Remove Ads

If you informed the cop you were armed when you didn't have to, you have no basis to complain. if I'm armed it's none of the cop's business unless he asks me if I'm armed or askes me to step out of the vehicle.

A LEO has better odds of being struck and killed by a passing car during a traffic stop, then being shot by a CWP holder during a traffic stop.

I've had my CWP for about 10 years or so. I've only been stopped one time since I have had it. An Arkansas State Trooper stopped me for doing 67 in a 55 zone. I was totally at fault, just wasn't paying attention to my speed. Had my 25 YO son in the truck with me and we were cruising along and BS'ing.

The trooper walked up to my window, I handed him my AR DL and AR CWP. I told him I was carrying. He looked at them, looked at me and said "Mr. Chitlin, slow it down just a little" and handed them back to me. I thanked him, told him to have a good day and be careful, and we went on our merry way. I couldn't have asked for it to go any better than this.

Also, I'm 51 and gray haired, so there may have been a little profiling going on.

A LEO has better odds of being struck and killed by a passing car during a traffic stop, then being shot by a CWP holder during a traffic stop.
    Now that's a courtesy I have no problem W/. I will always yield the lane to a cop on the side of the road.

Seems reasonable to me. Respect towards one another goes a long way. I would have no problem with what happened. I think you made the right choice in informing him. Situations with LEOs go a lot smoother/quicker when you show them respect and courtesy.

Quote Originally Posted by puncho View Post
    It's the law in michigan when a LEO has a car,truck,bike pulled over on the sholder you must (if possible) move to next lane..
    Now with traffic and nut jobs not letting over that's when you slow down and watch to see if the LEO is in the car or out for there safety.

I drive a Truck and I just do it For anyone that off to the side of the road (if all possible) , We all know how it is to change a tire on the side of the road...
    XDM 40cal bitoneXD40SC BitoneBersa 380.
    NRA RSO
    NRA EPL Member
    "I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
    I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world."

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Chitlin View Post
    My concern would be if the LEO could safely handle the firearm in question. Just because he carries one firearm doesn't make him an expert with ALL firearms. In the holster is a lot safer place than handling it back and forth.
    im sure he is smart enough to know the one important rule. KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER...

Quote Originally Posted by 9mmPro View Post
    it is wrong to pull someone out of a car unless they do not have a LTCF, why pull the out if they have a LTCF? is it illegal to sit in a car with your gun holstered?

i got pulled over twice i never informed the officer i was packing, why should i waste more time and make it a hassle i saved the officer time wasted in taxpayers money then go thru the unholster your weapon get out of the car.
    I didnt say you had to..I ALWAYS inform just because thats me..and I ALWAYS exepct the officer to take control of the gun for his safety. if your in a dont need to notify state dont notify thats your right. I just do it out of a common courtesy to the officer..you dont have to..its just the way I do business. again if its a no inform state dont inform I dont care..Im in a dont have to inform and I always do anyways.

And here is how it want anyways when I worked..While you dont have to inform in certain states you do have to be truthful. When I pulled ya over I would go through the whole deal...you know what I stopped you for deal...some where in there I would normally say something like...your not carrying anything like a gun or knife(IF I was going to get you out of the car for some reason...say a stop where I wanted to show you a broken tail light or a covered license plate or something wrong with your car..) are you..then you lawfully had to answer since I specifically asked the question..now just for a warning or speeding ticket I didnt ask this..unless the guy/gal was acting real nervous...some CC people even when they dont inform seem to get real nervous when pulled over and that raises a red flag.

Quote Originally Posted by C Bennett View Post
    im sure he is smart enough to know the one important rule. KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER...
    After the post yesterday about the trainer shooting himself in the thigh and the video of DEA guy shooting himself in the foot in a classroom full of students, maybe you give some of these guys more credit than they deserve.

I've had my CWP for about 10 years or so. I've only been stopped one time since I have had it. An Arkansas State Trooper stopped me for doing 67 in a 55 zone. I was totally at fault, just wasn't paying attention to my speed. Had my 25 YO son in the truck with me and we were cruising along and BS'ing.

The trooper walked up to my window, I handed him my AR DL and AR CWP. I told him I was carrying. He looked at them, looked at me and said "Mr. Chitlin, slow it down just a little" and handed them back to me. I thanked him, told him to have a good day and be careful, and we went on our merry way. I couldn't have asked for it to go any better than this.

Also, I'm 51 and gray haired, so there may have been a little profiling going on.
    in that instance if I was just gonna give a warning thats exactly what I'd do also...no need to pull a guy out then.

After the post yesterday about the trainer shooting himself in the thigh and the video of DEA guy shooting himself in the foot in a classroom full of students, maybe you give some of these guys more credit than they deserve.
    no comment.

Well I recon things are a little different up NORTH, Down SOUTH LEO'S show courtesy to one another & alot of CCL holders! Never heard of a PD officer let alone a sheriffs deaputy or FHP
    And I know quite a few of each
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I'm not saying what he did was wrong.

But it did not enhance your safety to tell him, and you weren't required by law, so there is no reason to inform. If anything taking you out of the car in a bad neighborhood decreases your safety. And don't assume he will protect you. if trouble comes.

I will countine to inform if and when I get stopped. It has always worked for me in the past. As Grandma used to "Honestly is the policy"

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links