Pulled over in PA

Pulled over in PA

This is a discussion on Pulled over in PA within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I got pulled over tonight for the first time since I started concealed carrying. I pulled over, turned on my interior lights, turned the ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pulled over in PA

Pulled over in PA

So I got pulled over tonight for the first time since I started concealed carrying. I pulled over, turned on my interior lights, turned the car off, and got my papers / documents ready. I know I'm not legally required to inform the officer that I was carrying, but it was in a less than reputable neighborhood and I felt it would be better to just inform him instead of surprise him (even though I hadn't been drinking I felt a breathalyzer coming). So as soon as I informed him he calmly and politely asked me to step out of the car, had me place my hands on the car and the proceeded to pat me down, take my Walther (which I had to inform him had a round in the chamber and had the safety on, it struck me as odd that he did not ask before he handled my weapon) and then took my knife. Obviously the knife was PA legal (non-automatic) and my firearm was mine and I was legally permitted to carry it. I felt embarrassed to be brought out of my car in front of homes with his police lights on at 12 am.

I felt as though since I was 21 and it was late at night, he felt justified in his actions but, I kind of feel like the entire thing was unnecessary. He pulled me over for making a right turn on a red light (there was a sign saying no turn on red, I missed it ).

What do you guys think? Is this normal or did he go above and beyond for no reason.

What do you guys think? Is this normal or did he go above and beyond for no reason.
    I can't speak for the officer, but I can presume that he did what he felt he needed to so, and did so within the confines of the law.

Biker

I don't feel like he violated my rights or anything, but from what I've read on the forums and what I've heard from acquaintances was usually it was just a "thank you" for the information kind of thing, a large difference between the two different situations is that I'm much younger than most other people who share their stories and it was probably at a better time of day.

I personally wouldn't inform unless required by the laws of the state...unless...I'm directly asked about weapons or asked to step out of the car. What happened to you is exactly what I would like to avoid.

So tell us about the rest of the encounter...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Well, he certainly has the right to do that... However, what his reasons for doing it we'll never know.

Maybe it was your age, or maybe it was the neighborhood and time of night, but I wouldn't draw any conclusions as to any of those.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member
    Yeah. What happened? You quit when he got to 2nd base.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

{but it was in a less than reputable neighborhood}

And if you're not a "less than a reputable person" why were you in this neighborhood at 12 in the morning?

{and I felt it would be better to just inform him instead of surprise him}

Absolutely correct. LEOs tend to react negatively to finding a weapon they haven't been told about.

{he calmly and politely asked me to step out of the car,}

See, everyone's calm. Fewer mistakes/misjudgements will be made.

{proceeded to pat me down, take my Walther (which I had to inform him had a round in the chamber and had the safety on, it struck me as odd that he did not ask before he handled my weapon) and then took my knife.}

He wasn't that concerned what condition the gun was in, just in disarming you until he could verify your story.

{I felt embarrassed to be brought out of my car in front of homes with his police lights on at 12 am.}

If you feel embarrassed by being stopped and frisked, then don't make illegal traffic moves. Illegal right turn on red is one move drunks often do, and so do people who are thinking of evading once they see the patrol car.

{I felt as though since I was 21 and it was late at night, he felt justified in his actions but, I kind of feel like the entire thing was unnecessary.
    What do you guys think? Is this normal or did he go above and beyond for no reason.}

I believe both of you did the right thing. The LEO has a right to protect himself AND a right to search you, and the area you could reach when he stopped you, to maintain that protection. We've all seen it on COPS. "Do you have anything on you that I need to know about? Do you have anything in the car I need to know about?" He was calm and polite, and obviously, so were you. NEVER, NEVER argue with a cop in the field. You WILL lose that one. Wait until court or at a complaint hearing, if it goes that far. He confiscated your weapon until he checked out your CWP and found out you were legal all the way.

{I personally wouldn't inform unless required by the laws of the state...unless...I'm directly asked about weapons or asked to step out of the car. What happened to you is exactly what I would like to avoid.}

Well, if you don't inform and the officer discovers it, you might be even more embarrassed by laying face down, eating dirt, while being handcuffed - and then draped across the trunk of the patrol car while being THOROUGHLY searched. You WILL avoid what happened to the OP, but you'll jump right ahead to "Step 3".

We're all waiting on pins and needles for the second half of your story, what was the outcome?
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Cool

PRSO. What you read on the internet should not lead you to expect the same. Don't rely on posters. I agree. I will always inform; required or not. Common courtesy, knowing what LEOs encounter.

Quote:(which I had to inform him had a round in the chamber and had the safety on, it struck me as odd that he did not ask before he handled my weapon),

It does not strike me odd at all, I will bet my last nickle that the sidearm he carries every minute while on duty has one in the pipe ready to go, so to him every gun is assumed to be that way, and he knows that you have to actually pull the bang switch to make anything happen.

Quote Originally Posted by PRSOrator View Post
    So I got pulled over tonight for the first time since I started concealed carrying. I pulled over, turned on my interior lights, turned the car off, and got my papers / documents ready. I know I'm not legally required to inform the officer that I was carrying, but it was in a less than reputable neighborhood and I felt it would be better to just inform him instead of surprise him (even though I hadn't been drinking I felt a breathalyzer coming). So as soon as I informed him he calmly and politely asked me to step out of the car, had me place my hands on the car and the proceeded to pat me down, take my Walther (which I had to inform him had a round in the chamber and had the safety on, it struck me as odd that he did not ask before he handled my weapon) and then took my knife. Obviously the knife was PA legal (non-automatic) and my firearm was mine and I was legally permitted to carry it. I felt embarrassed to be brought out of my car in front of homes with his police lights on at 12 am.

I felt as though since I was 21 and it was late at night, he felt justified in his actions but, I kind of feel like the entire thing was unnecessary. He pulled me over for making a right turn on a red light (there was a sign saying no turn on red, I missed it ).

NOPE, he did what ANY REASONABLE officer would have done to protect himself..ID have and done the same thing and HAVE done the same thing on a stop. IMO when you decide to CC if you happen to get stopped expect something like that to happen EVERY time, ALL officers ive talked to and worked with want to be in CONTROL of the CC weapon during a stop. I am also in PA and know this is probably gonna happen if im stopped....(because I will tell him also that im Cing) but its just part of the territory IMO. Oh and it does not matter where you get pulled over id have the gun in my possession with ME getting it not you handing it over..but id be courteous while doing it not a ass.

The only people when I worked on the PD that I didnt ask for their guns were guys that were off duty cops/hacks/ could show me credentials..and then I still told them to retain their weapon but keep hands in plain sight(on the dash/wheel).

Quote Originally Posted by hdawson View Post
    PRSO. What you read on the internet should not lead you to expect the same. Don't rely on posters. I agree. I will always inform; required or not. Common courtesy, knowing what LEOs encounter.
    a lot of people dont understand that because they just see it on TV and dont think of what these guys face every time they take a call make a stop.

[And if you're not a "less than a reputable person" why were you in this neighborhood at 12 in the morning?]

Literally driving through on my way home, it was a major road that passes through residential areas.

The rest of the story was pretty cut and dry, he had me take a seat in my car and confiscated my weapons as he ran my license / papers, etc. Then he came back out, gave me a ticket and then said "once you sign the ticket I'll return your weapons". Signed the ticket, got my license and weapons back and then just a simple, "have a good night".

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Well all is well that ends well I suppose. Would I like being disarmed during a stop? No, but I realize that LEO can get a tad antsy because they can't tell if the stop is going to be routine or life-threatening. So I wouldn't sweat it much. I would guess he was looking to see if you were drunk, and removing the weapon was likely a "middle of the night just to be safe this isn't a great neighborhood" thing.

Way to handle yourself professionally.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links