Has CC'ing made you a safer driver?

This is a discussion on Has CC'ing made you a safer driver? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Bark'n I don't think so. Driving emergency vehicles for a living I believe has been the key factor for me. Also age ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has CC'ing made you a safer driver?

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I don't think so. Driving emergency vehicles for a living I believe has been the key factor for me. Also age has had an impact as well. If anything ccw has had the least impact in my case.
    I'm in the same boat as Bark'n, retired LEO, retired from a 2nd job, getting older and slowing down. I'm just not in the hurry I used to be in.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by 45tek View Post
    I wouldnt say Im a safer driver, I kinda drive how I drive. Having said that, I do keep my composure when Im being screamed at, honked at or given the finger. I think as a CC'er avoiding a confrontation is top priority. Even when people do some idiotic stuff, they dont even get a stare down, like they did when I wasnt packin'.
    This speaks for me, too!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have been stopped once while carrying and the Texas Trooper was cool with it but I was speeding. I find that I now use my speed control a LOT as I just can not stay at the slow speeds that are posted on the rural 2 lane black top roads that are all around here. I grew up driving 65 and 70 on this same type of road and 55 just does not seem right. I now just set the speed control and leave it at 55. I do drive at 55 on some of the gravel roads though, have to keep the adrenalin up some way.

Nope, and it hasn't changed my life or my personality. I drive the way I do, because that's who I am. I interact with people the way I do because that's who I am. If I weren't the person I am, I wouldn't be carrying.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

No, I drive the same as always.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

I have found that I try be more mindful of my driving when I am carrying. I dont want interactions that could escalate things in a direction I dont want things to go. The same holds true for interactions with the police. I have not been pulled over in 5 years and dont want to start now, especially with a gun in my posession.
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    "Has CC'ing made you a safer driver?" Nope, for me... that would be old age!
    Amen! My driving has gradually gotten tamer over the years. I find that being gentle on the gas pedal makes the car more gentle on the wallet, both at the gas pump, and the shop.
    The selling point for me was when I began noticing that the people I'd blow past always seemed to catch up to me at the red-lights. Or I'd roar past some slow poke two miles from work, and still not even be out of my car when they'd pull in the space next to mine.

it's so nice to belong to a group of "nice guys". the best thing for me is my wife always puts me on a pedestal. she tells all her friends that i'm such a "nice guy". she always says, "he's such a good law abiding citizen!" I love that!
    can i get an "AMEN" fellas????
    got to texas as fast as i could...Fuhgeddaboudit!

not CC, but CJ
    one of my instructor says he'll be one "angry step dad" if i get any tickets, i dont like lectures
    -Jim

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    My driving has never changed but how I am overall did. I'm more laid back.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

I'm no safer but as others have said much more laid back. I less aggressive in my driving and my general attitude. I'm much more likely to apologize for something even if it isn't actually my fault than I used to be.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    "Has CC'ing made you a safer driver?" Nope, for me... that would be old age!
    +1

Long ago I decided not to be a douche, and vowed to ignore all the others. All it takes is leaving 15 minutes earlier
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

I've found it much cheaper to be a safe driver. Not tickets and best insurance rates. I don't think carrying has much influence on my normal driving -- but, I'm sure I'm a lot less likely to get into it with some jerk driving like a fool and giving me the finger.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I would say that age and maturity have more to do with it; I do find since carrying that I try to be more level-headed, and that has leaked into my driving habits as well. I am also convinced that, at least in AZ, most drivers aren't out to get me. Instead, many are just not thinking. They're oblivious, so it does me no good to get upset at their shenanigans.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Not really safer, per se. I've always been a safe driver. And it hasn't slowed may down either. However, having had a CC for going on 8 years has made me a more "aware" driver.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links