Has CC'ing made you a safer driver?

Has CC'ing made you a safer driver?

This is a discussion on Has CC'ing made you a safer driver? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I do an immense amount of driving with my job but I have found that since I started to CC I have slowed down and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Has CC'ing made you a safer driver?

I do an immense amount of driving with my job but I have found that since I started to CC I have slowed down and I don't get upset at other drivers for the dumb stuff they do as often anymore either.

I want to avoid confrontation at all cost and I want to avoid the hassle of being stopped for speeding while armed. Been there, done that while I was younger and standing outside with your hands on the hood of car while others go by and the officer comes out of your car holding your gun makes you feel like a criminal even though you are not, those passing by don't know that.

CC, and even the serious contemplation of CC, changes your life. I don't know very many people that would disagree with that.

The biggest thing that keeps me driving safe and obeying the laws is getting away with alot of things I shouldn't have. I've done some seriously stupid things in a car, then 5 minutes later got caught doing 10 over on the highway by an officer that had no idea I was lucky with just that. As I see it, my nine lives are up.

I'm not concerned with getting stopped while lawfully carrying or transporting, but one more thing I can do or not do to keep myself out of trouble is, at the very least, worth it finacially.

Quote Originally Posted by WinningItAll View Post
    As I see it, my nine lives are up.
    Amen to that brother! Mine are too and now I'm steady Eddie in the slow lane!

VIP Member
    "Has CC'ing made you a safer driver?" Nope, for me... that would be old age!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

i believe it has made me a safer driver, i think it is because i don't want to go through the hassle with the police officer. I also dont get angry as fast because i want to be within the law if i ever have to defend myself, i don't want to be the instigator of the situation.
    Glock 19, Trijicon Night Sights, Hogue Slip on Grip & 124gr Gold-Dots
    With an Adam's Holster Texas IWB Holster (Cowhide w/ Ostrich Trim)

I still drive the same way I did long before CCW... which is probably a little faster than I should but, that's neither here nor there. I will say this though....

I had some punk-but Audi jerkoff run me off the road one morning coming home from dropping off my son at school. This jerkbait figured he had the entire S-corner to himself that morning and decided that my 07 Expedition EL Limited was fodder for his idiotic "race-style" cornering endevour and subsequently ran me right off the road into the bushes....

I have been through multiple driving schools, and like my SD training and all OTHER life-saving training I have gone through, I was paying attention and knew where my safe-out was, which happened to be the bushes on the side of the road.

Had I NOT been carrying my fully loaded "with a spare fully loaded magazine" XD9 Service, which I pretty much carry EVERYWHERE, I would have chased that SOB down and put his fairy little tushy into the weeds not far up the road.

Am I a safer driver? I'll say I'm not a different driver simply because I carry. I drive the same way always because that's the type of driving that makes me comfortable. I'm not going to change that. Is my attitude about many of the completely "idiotic-and-outrageously-stupid-people-that-I would-have-given-a-piece-of-my-mind-to" changed somewhat? I'll agree that it has.

After all.... Getting into a foolish argument or confrontation where at least I KNOW there's a gun in the fight is not someplace I plan to be if I can help it.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

I wouldnt say Im a safer driver, I kinda drive how I drive. Having said that, I do keep my composure when Im being screamed at, honked at or given the finger. I think as a CC'er avoiding a confrontation is top priority. Even when people do some idiotic stuff, they dont even get a stare down, like they did when I wasnt packin'.

driving is a perishable skill, if you don't play with the edge now and then you loose that edge. Just like shooting. But like shooting it has a place to be practiced. Autocross competition and defensive/executive driving schools are where speed should be played with. (that said it's maturing not the thought of getting pulled over that has slowed me down)
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

VIP Member
    No. Sixteen years in the transportation industry has taken care of that.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Me too!
    Well, maybe a little more after I started carrying.
    But then old age & carrying go together.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Not really was safe before still am.
    Hitler once said, “The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerers who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing.”

actually yes i have been driving safer..so much that my girlfriend has commented that i dont drive as fast anymore...dont really want to hassle with attention i dont want.
    -XD45 Service in a Crossbreed Supertuck
    -Ruger LCR in a DeSantis Nemesis

I am less likely to get irritated at others for their bad driving, as I feel it is even more important now to try and avoid confrontation. I've always tried to be a safe driver, and could never rationalize spedding for speeding's sake. The best that can happen is to burden my family with getting a ticket with increased insurance costs, and the worst is taking someone else's life. Getting home 10 minutes sooner to catch Oprah never seemed an even trade.
    " In theory, reality and theory are the same. In reality, they are not."

GLOCK G23, KAHR CW9, RUGER LCP, TAURUS PT92, TAURUS 689, MOSSY 500

NRA member

I don't think so. Driving emergency vehicles for a living I believe has been the key factor for me. Also age has had an impact as well. If anything ccw has had the least impact in my case.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Maybe it was the tickets, the last of which is still hanging on the fridge...
    Knowing is half the battle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links