First Time Concealed Carry

This is a discussion on First Time Concealed Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Next year I'm going to get concealed carry but right now I'm trying to find a compact .40 gun, Ive heard mixed reviews on the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Time Concealed Carry

First Time Concealed Carry

Next year I'm going to get concealed carry but right now I'm trying to find a compact .40 gun, Ive heard mixed reviews on the glock, xdm series, and mp. If someone could briefly explain the suggestion they give that would be greatly appreciated. Also do most gun dealers give military discounts? Looking into a holster for underarm when I get concealed carry, all suggestions on these would be awesome.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    You may want to consider something like the XD40 subcompact. Very accurate and easy to shoot.

A Glock 27 would also be a good choice.

Best suggestion is get out and handle as many as you can, and if possible rent some time with you top choices. Get the one that fits you best.

All three makes, Glock, XD & M&P are all good choices to consider.
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    First off, welcome to the forum from Victoria, B.C.

All the pistols you mention are tops in design and quality. You will get as many varied opinions on these firearms as there are stars in the sky.

My advice to you is to get out and shoot as many of them as you can to see which one works for you.

Regarding holsters, I'm not a fan of shoulder holsters but then again they may work for you.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Agreed with Gunny, you need to get out and shoot them if at all possible, in different calibers as well. I personally carry an M&P .40 Compact and love it. It is, however, a pretty snappy shooter and I'm looking for something even smaller for summer carry. It's getting harder and harder to conceal a double-stack .40.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    First off, welcome to the forum from Victoria, B.C.

All the pistols you mention are tops in design and quality. You will get as many varied opinions on these firearms as there are stars in the sky.

My advice to you is to get out and shoot as many of them as you can to see which one works for you.

Regarding holsters, I'm not a fan of shoulder holsters but then again they may work for you.
    what holster would you suggest?

Also Im not interested in subcompact but just compact.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by guardmt View Post
    what holster would you suggest?
    I carry my Smith 3913 in a Pure Kustom OTG holster and I carry my HK P7 in a TT Gunleather high ride pancake holster.

www.purekustomholsters.com

TT GunLeather High Quality Leather Gun Holsters

Both Rocky and Tim make top notch stuff.

There are other great makers out there too.

The choice of a holster is like the choice of a pistol. It's a very personal thing and what works for me may not work for you and vice versa.

Both of my holsters mentioned above are OWB, some prefer IWB. Again, a personal choice.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Here is one man's reviews of a bunch of shoulder holsters. Apparently he's owned a lot of them over the years:

Shoulder Holster Review
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I love my XD40c. Of course practically every cop you know carries a Glock 22, and M&Ps are great too. Pretty much you can't go wrong with whichever of these you find.

For me, I shoot from a modified Weaver stance, so the grip angle of a Glock feels funky to me. I like the more vertical angle of the XD line. Those who shoot from an Isosceles position tend to favor the Glock, which is a fine gun.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Good luck in your search........Just try them all out for yourself. Different guns for different folks.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Alright now that im keeping it concealed anyone know any good tactical shirt brands? I heard 5.11 tactical is what i should go for

Any shirt will work. Just get it a size larger. I am asuming you will be wearing it untucked. I personally don't wear tactical clothing. You want to blend in or not be noticed. I have a Kahr CW40 that I find works well for descret cc. But you should try as many guns as possible and find one that suits your needs and you are comfortable with.
    Welcome aboard.
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    I carry my Smith 3913 in a Pure Kustom OTG holster and I carry my HK P7 in a TT Gunleather high ride pancake holster.

www.purekustomholsters.com

TT GunLeather High Quality Leather Gun Holsters

Both Rocky and Tim make top notch stuff.

There are other great makers out there too.

The choice of a holster is like the choice of a pistol. It's a very personal thing and what works for me may not work for you and vice versa.

Both of my holsters mentioned above are OWB, some prefer IWB. Again, a personal choice.
    where do you carry your holster?

Father is going to sell me his Smith & Wesson Firestar .40, is this a good gun? I like the feel and its the perfect size i think for concealed, ive fired it last night and the recoil is very easy to handle, as far as i like this gun so far, is it good from what you guys have heard?

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    the Firestar is a Spanish all steel gun. It will be heavy for concealed carry. Inexpensive but I've heard good things about them as long as the one you get wasn't abused. OK for the house but hard to carry concealed all day.

depending on your budget, check the local gun stores. They sometimes you can get a good deal on used guns and police trade-ins tend to be excellent deals.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links