Store owner carry

This is a discussion on Store owner carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went into a jewelry store who had an armed robbery a couple of years ago. He hit the silent alarm, and the cops shot ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Store owner carry

Store owner carry

I went into a jewelry store who had an armed robbery a couple of years ago. He hit the silent alarm, and the cops shot one BG and one cop got shot. Neither were killed.
    He now has cameras in plain view, with a monitor showing the store. I also spotted a Glock 9MM at 3 oclock, open carry. While he was repairing the item I brought in, we struck up a converstation re: guns. He said he OC in the store, and when he leaves, he simply pulls his shirt out over it for CC. He also said, the cameras and gun are working as a deterent, so far. I told him to buy a pocket pistol as a BUG. He said he would look into it.

In Florida, you may O.C. in you home or business without a permit. However, in public, only concealed and it reuired a CWP.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by mastercapt View Post
    I went into a jewelry store who had an armed robbery a couple of years ago. He hit the silent alarm, and the cops shot one BG and one cop got shot. Neither were killed.
    He now has cameras in plain view, with a monitor showing the store. I also spotted a Glock 9MM at 3 oclock, open carry. While he was repairing the item I brought in, we struck up a converstation re: guns. He said he OC in the store, and when he leaves, he simply pulls his shirt out over it for CC. He also said, the cameras and gun are working as a deterent, so far. I told him to buy a pocket pistol as a BUG. He said he would look into it.

In Florida, you may O.C. in you home or business without a permit. However, in public, only concealed and it reuired a CWP.

Yup this is correct. If he needs to transport his weapon from the car to the store he might get away with it if he parks his POV in the back entrance of the store where if there is one. But has to carry it in a secured container in compliance with Florida Law. I've read that if he carries it in a place thats not a common place he may not have any trouble with the law because no one will see it or be around. IMO just to keep the arse outta hot water I would call the police and seek their advice and also explain of being robbed before. Also to point out you mentioned that he had cameras all over the place and one of those cameras could indeed incriminate him for CC w/o a license!! Just another point to ponder....

I didn't see where he said he CC without a permit.
    http://www.saf.org/ --- Fighting for American's Gun Rights
    http://GeorgiaCarry.org --- Fighting for Georgian's Gun Rights.
    http://Georgiapacking.org --- Discussion of Georgia Gun Laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantoms View Post
    I didn't see where he said he CC without a permit.
    yup you are indeed correct.....oversight on my part.....oops!

In SC, you may transfer your weapon from your place of business or residence to your transportation (and back) without being violated. Once the weapon is in your vehicle, it must be transported according to law.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltyke View Post
    In SC, you may transfer your weapon from your place of business or residence to your transportation (and back) without being violated. Once the weapon is in your vehicle, it must be transported according to law.
    Same here in NJ. and we can OC or CC in our place of business too!
    S&W M&P 9C
    RUGER LCP
    S&W 5906
    COLT DET. SPEC.
    S&W 686-6"
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck", Author un-known

Quote Originally Posted by joecs1 View Post
    Same here in NJ. and we can OC or CC in our place of business too!
    Something else, too. If the vehicle is parked on the store property, it's still in a "place of business", so he's ok there, too.

No cop is gonna bust a store owner for displaying between the store door and his vehicle. That would be just too asinine.

Since the jeweller in question is in Florida, let's be clear. Open carry on one's property or at one's place of business is legal because it's private. Open carry is not legal elsewhere. The CWL doesn't enter into it one way or the other.
    "An armed society is a polite society." -- Robert A. Heinlein

Store owner

My bad.
    He does have a CWP to allow carry with his shirt covering the gun outside of his store. He O.C. in the store.

This could not be simpler. He is in FL. He owns the business. He can OC on his property (which can be his home or his business). If he owns the parking lot, that is his business too.

OC Is a deterrent but won't stop all. My CCW instructor had a gun shop
    in FL and he had an attempted armed robbery with his S&W clearly in view on his hip. They robber left in an ambulance by the way with 5 Glazers in his chest, my instructor left without a scratch.

During the class he made sure to tell us how ineffective the Glazers were. They tore up the pectorals, but never entered the chest cavity.
    ‎"When the need for my gun is abated I will lay it down freely, but until that day comes not even Satan himself could pry it from my cold dead hands."

Open carry does not stop armored car robbers. They consider an open fire solution as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandolero View Post
    Open carry does not stop armored car robbers.
    I doubt if the guards Concealed Carried it'd stop them either.
    http://www.saf.org/ --- Fighting for American's Gun Rights
    http://GeorgiaCarry.org --- Fighting for Georgian's Gun Rights.
    http://Georgiapacking.org --- Discussion of Georgia Gun Laws.

Quote Originally Posted by trekkiejt View Post
    OC Is a deterrent but won't stop all. My CCW instructor had a gun shop
    in FL and he had an attempted armed robbery with his S&W clearly in view on his hip. They robber left in an ambulance by the way with 5 Glazers in his chest, my instructor left without a scratch.

During the class he made sure to tell us how ineffective the Glazers were. They tore up the pectorals, but never entered the chest cavity.
    You would think that someone that owns a gun store and teaches CCW classes would know what ammo works and what doesn't. I am going to assume he was carrying the Glaser's when they first came out as the new next best thing in SD ammo.
    When I first started learning about SD and hand guns I admit the Glasers seemed interesting. Luckily I did some research and found out they are poor penetrators. All they are good for is making the bad guy really angry!

So in Fl if you own a house in a residential neighborhood could you open carry in the front yard in plain sight of anyone walking or driving by (not thats its necesarly a good idea too)? I mean residential like any normal town where you can talk to your neighbors without screaming, and talk over the hedge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links